NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GX owner build thread

Go down 
+5
JiveTurkey0514
iwashmycar
FiJiKrawl
DamnItsAGlasgow
GX470
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

GX owner build thread Empty
PostSubject: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Howdy,

New to this forum. I meet some of you during a group ride in Uwharrie a few weeks back. Seems like you have a nice forum here.

I figured I'd link my build thread for anyone interested.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/749918-boo471-build.html

//Marten
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Welcome Marten!  The GX looks great!
Back to top Go down
FiJiKrawl
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FiJiKrawl

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:36 pm

That is one bangin' Lexus!  Awesome job, man!
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Very cool. Look forward to seeing it progress!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Dude that is a nice gx.  Would look sick with that bumper you mocked up!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 7:48 pm

where are you?...oh nevermind...i see you are in Greensboro...Im in HP....would be great to hook up with you some time...love to check out the grocery getter!! just kidding...
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Nice truck...cant wait to see it in person.
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
where are you?...oh nevermind...i see you are in Greensboro...Im in HP....would be great to hook up with you some time...love to check out the grocery getter!! just kidding...

Im the grocery getter alright! cheers 

Ok I just placed a hugh order of steel. 140 feet of tubing and 13x22 square feet of sheet metal GX owner build thread Eek Holy crap the prices of steel is expensive here in the states. Swedish quality steel is a whoooole lot cheaper back home. 

Anyways, its on its way so I should be able to start building next week. 

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/749918-boo471-build-2.html#post8694423
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I hope she turns out alright in the end. Who knows. When you put a grinder in my hands you never know what you'll get! cyclops
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 11:52 am

So, it looks like the stove doubles as ambient floor heat for the tent above...  Nice looking GX you've got started!
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm

Speedrye wrote:
So, it looks like the stove doubles as ambient floor heat for the tent above...  Nice looking GX you've got started!

I thought about everything! Laughing 

I updated my thread with a draft for the electrical schematics. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

GX470 build thread

//Marten
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:54 pm

GX470 wrote:
Speedrye wrote:

I updated my thread with a draft for the electrical schematics. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

GX470 build thread

//Marten

Any need for a 110v inverter?  I'd also recommend a small fan for the tent, but you could use the 12v socket for that possibly.  I use a 200mm computer cooling fan since it has a very, very low amperage draw, is dead silent and moves a decent amount of air for sleeping on hot nights.  Any stereo upgrades planned?  Other than that, I've had bad luck with Optimas, but it looks well planned out.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 pm

Hey Ryan and Marten, a few of us are getting together on friday Aug 2 at the Country BBQ in High point. we would love to have you guys attend if you could.
here is the address.

3921 Sedgebrook St
High Point North Carolina 27265
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 am

What time?

Marten, every time I see your signature, I'm reminded of BMW's M badges on their cars:
GX owner build thread 0
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 8:16 am

Hey guys...we are meeting at 7pm...it would be great to see you
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 am

Speedrye wrote:
GX470 wrote:
Speedrye wrote:

GX470 build thread

//Marten

Any need for a 110v inverter?  I'd also recommend a small fan for the tent, but you could use the 12v socket for that possibly.  I use a 200mm computer cooling fan since it has a very, very low amperage draw, is dead silent and moves a decent amount of air for sleeping on hot nights.  Any stereo upgrades planned?  Other than that, I've had bad luck with Optimas, but it looks well planned out.

That little grey thingy in the upper left corner is an Inverter. Its small and dosent have a whole lot of juice going thru it but it should be enough to charge my Macbook Air and there are 2 USB port to charge the cell phones.

A fan isnt a bad idea. Do you have a link to the type of fan you have?

I was looking at both Optima and Die hard batteries. Choice just fell on Optima, I havent gotten the house battery yet so might go with a die hard battery there. What bad experiances have you had with the Optimas?

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Hey Ryan and Marten, a few of us are getting together on friday Aug 2 at the Country BBQ in High point. we would love to have you guys attend if you could.
here is the address.

3921 Sedgebrook St

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Hey guys...we are meeting at 7pm...it would be great to see you

I would love to join you guy's but Im of for Pawleys Island, SC for the weekend and will leave right after work on friday. So I will have to take a raincheck on that. But thanks for the invite.

//Marten
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am

Speedrye wrote:
GX470 wrote:
Speedrye wrote:

GX470 build thread

//Marten

That grey little thing in the upper left corner is an inverter. Its weak but should be powerfull enough to charge my Macbook air and the 2 usb ports to charge the cell phones.

Do you have a link to that fan? Thats a good idea.

What issues have you had with the Optimas? I was chosing between diehard or optimas. For no perticular reason i choose Optima. I havent gotten my house battery yet so I could pick that one to be a diehard. But I prefer that the batteries are of the same brand and type.

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
here is the address.

3921 Sedgebrook St

I would love to meet up but Im of for Pawley's Island for the weekend. So this friday is a no go for me. But thanks for the invite and please let me know the next time you are meeting up.

Speedrye wrote:
What time?

Marten, every time I see your signature, I'm reminded of BMW's M badges on their cars:
GX owner build thread 0

Maybe I should get one for my GX?  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Don't forget to find a VTEC badge for it too!  Very Happy

I'm using this fan that I've modified slightly:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072

The one I have has red LEDs built-in and I rewired it so that I could turn them on separate of the fan.  They make a great night light without blinding anyone at night and your eyes adjust quickly with red lights.  I've got a baby lithium ion 12v battery (1/2"x2"x3") that will power the fan for over 8 hours, so I know it doesn't use much juice.

I've gone through a number of yellow and red top batteries in various vehicles.  After having batteries replaced over and over again, I returned them for cash back.  They would lose cells often and I think the longest lasting Optima I've had (of 6) made it a full 2 months.  I'm loving the Die Hard Platinum in my FJ now and you can find them on sale for $140-$150 (regular platinum, not marine) if you look hard enough.
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Speedrye wrote:
Don't forget to find a VTEC badge for it too!  Very Happy

I'm using this fan that I've modified slightly:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072

The one I have has red LEDs built-in and I rewired it so that I could turn them on separate of the fan.  They make a great night light without blinding anyone at night and your eyes adjust quickly with red lights.  I've got a baby lithium ion 12v battery (1/2"x2"x3") that will power the fan for over 8 hours, so I know it doesn't use much juice.

I've gone through a number of yellow and red top batteries in various vehicles.  After having batteries replaced over and over again, I returned them for cash back.  They would lose cells often and I think the longest lasting Optima I've had (of 6) made it a full 2 months.  I'm loving the Die Hard Platinum in my FJ now and you can find them on sale for $140-$150 (regular platinum, not marine) if you look hard enough.

I dont know about the red light but a computer fan seems like a smart solution.

Ok, good to know. I have had my Optima for 3 or so months and its been treating me very well. I couldnt find a Die Hard Platinum any cheaper then I got my Optima so not sure its worth it since I havent had any issues with it.
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm

I updated my truck with some switches! See it by following the link below.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/749918-boo471-build-2.html#post8709886

///Marten
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 pm

when optima batteries were worth a crap like in the early 2000s they woul last forever..but now that they are made by a different company i wouldnt waste the money...glad yours is doing great but personally i wouldnt buy one.  Id go with the die hard or an oddesy (sp)....
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
when optima batteries were worth a crap like in the early 2000s they woul last forever..but now that they are made by a different company i wouldnt waste the money...glad yours is doing great but personally i wouldnt buy one.  Id go with the die hard or an oddesy (sp)....

Wow ok, no love for Optima.

I might have to get a die hard for the second battery then. And change my main when that dies, which sounds like it will happen any day now Smile

Thanks for the feedback.

///Marten
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 am

I have finaly got some steel to work with. Will try to update a bit more if I get something done this weekend (should rain i think).

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/749918-boo471-build-3.html#post8715438

//Marten
Back to top Go down
GX470
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
GX470

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 am

Ok so I got the roof rack finsished and tested this weekend. Works great. I also hooked up my LED light bar wich is pretty bright.

Read more about it here.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/749918-boo471-build-3.html
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 am

A.) That rack looks fantastic!  Very clean and functional!
B.) Your wife seems like one cool gal.  Surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GX owner build thread   GX owner build thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GX owner build thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next