NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ANOTHER URE RUN

Go down 
+7
Scottydog
Orange Boxx
Darklight
FJerYuri
NC FJ Driver
crogers6569
bigdogdewey2
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: check this out folks   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 4:33 pm

hey Ladies and Gentlemen...and CROGERS....i went to the NC4X4 forum and found some pretty good info about trail clean up and volunteer days...the following is actually from their site forum and it provides a great deal of really good info...

* WHEN ARE THE WORKDAYS?
The Volunteer workdays are generally the Third weekend of every month.
You have an option to meet up with the other volunteers at two times. You can meet up with them at The Outpost at 8AM. Meeting at The Outpost gets you breakfast - A huge menu to choose from, everything is awesome. So you get awesome food, and get to meet the people you'll be working with, and chat in general. Then we head out to meet at the Hunt Camp Parking Lot at 9AM.

If you don't like getting up early, don't like awesome food, or for whatever reason, you can meet everyone at the Hunt Camp Parking Lot at 9AM.

Usually there will be forest service people and people from other clubs there to do volunteer work. This is when a general plan is made and once everyone is ready, and signed in, we head out on the trails to do whatever it is we are going to be doing that day.

*WHERE IS THE OUTPOST?
Eldorado Outpost
4021 NC Highway 109 N
Troy, NC 27371-1974
(910) 572-3474

N 35*26.769
W 080*01.296

Gas, food, and pretty much anything you could need while you are at Uwharrie. This is a place to buy trail passes also.

*WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Any tools you think will help.
Generally hammers, socket sets (generally larger sized sockets for guardrails 1 1/4 I think), shovels, lengths of chain, and D-Rings/Clevis hooks.
If you don't have tools that is fine. We can also get some tools from the Forest Service.

other items to bring
Folding Chairs
Cooler - full of ice, water or drinks. In the summer I'd load up on water/sports drinks. A soda now and then won't be too bad but caffeinated drinks act as diuretics and you need to stay hydrated out there.
A hat. Keeps the sun off your head, keeps some sweat out of your eyes. I like a boonie style hat as it covers the whole head. I'd recommend a hat, but that is up to you.
Gloves. Work gloves/mechanic type gloves. For picking up guard rail posts and doing other manual labor.
I'd probably wear boots, but it's not required.

*WHAT WILL WE BE DOING?
Anything and everything. Come prepared to work.
During the hot months we have been told that the Forest Service doesn't really want us out there sweating to death. They don't make their people do that (except for Forest Fires) and they don't expect it from their volunteers.

So until it inches away from 100 degrees we will be doing trash pick up, putting up trail markers and other easier tasks as needed.Once the weather cools ,we will be back to digging holes with a auger, and installing metal guard rail.

The guard rail is to shut off illegal bypasses or other places trail riders don't need to/shouldn't be going. We will also be doing trash pick up and trail markers as we go. Sometimes we could put in silt traps or clean out some drainage ditches and stuff like that with shovels/mattocks.

RIGHT NOW There is serious trail work going on. Erosion control and things that MUST be addressed on the Uwharrie OHV Trail system. Once that is done (around Labor Day hopefully) there could be more work for us to do, but we have not really been told what exactly it could be. Long and the short of it is, show up ready to sweat, and work hard, but at the same time we have a good time.

*WHAT ABOUT MY VEHICLE?
We can work pretty much any of the trails in the URE OHV system. We usually don't mess with Daniel. As it has been adopted and not every vehicle can do it easily. If your vehicle is broke down or mostly stock or too pretty to beat up, you can drive you car, and park and ride from The Outpost or Hunt Camp Lot and we will get you back to your vehicle at the end of the work day.

PLEASE make arrangements with someone in that work days thread. Just say you need a seat, I'm sure several will be available.

BUT I WANT TO DO DANIEL- This previous workday we had someone go up Daniel putting up trail markers. So SOMETIMES it is possible to hit that trail. Or after the work is done sometimes a group will make a trip or two and hit the trails.

It should go without saying that Work Days involve trail riding. I think it is a very good time to go as the pace is MUCH MORE laid back and slower. I would say it is a very good way for beginners to get introduced to the trails AND help keep those trails open. It is really a win win for us all.

*WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT?
Showing up for volunteer workdays will get you the following:
*Free Trail Pass for that day.
*Free camping at Arrowhead.
*Volunteer hours help provide funds for Uwharrie. Your time helps keep the trail system and the park as a whole open, and the more volunteer hours we give, there is the possibility of more funds for Uwharrie meaning more stuff, like new trails and possibly a Rock Garden.
**If you're lucky Your Hot Dog Guy will be in The Double Parking Lot with FANTASTIC hot dogs, drinks, and other assorted goodies.

*I HATE CAMPING.
Not really a question but here goes.
This last work day we rented a cabin. It came down to about 20 bucks a night. We had showers, air conditioning, a place to sleep, eat, socialize, and go back to when we were done running the trails.

IF we can keep the interest up we could make this a regular thing. By staying in the cabin you WILL get to ride the trails until you are sick of riding them.

This last work day there was a trail ride before check in. Then there was an evening trail ride, then there was a late night trail ride. Then there was the work day trail riding. Then there was cleaning up and going out to eat followed by, yep, MORE trail riding, there may have been a trail ride after that, It all kind of blurs together.
I THINK I've covered the basics. Any question you have, ask it here, you WILL get it answered.

EDIT:
*WHO DO I ASK ABOUT (volunteer day stuff)?
You can ask myself (BRIAN) or DRaider90(Eli)
One of us will get you an answer about (your volunteer day question).

NEED A MAP?
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92424

I printed out both, placed them back to back and laminated them together.

OHV TRAIL REPORT
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90232
Info on the work going on to make URE a better place.

I think that maybe as i said before that we talk to Chief Big daddy Bronson and see if we might get a person assigned as a liason between the Forest service, NC4X4 and NCFJ....that way we can possibly have a sticky somewhere on this FORUM as to when, where, who , what .....im going to PM Mr. Bronson and pose the question to him and see what he has...

i think that the fact that a FREE TRAIL pass and FREE CAMPING pass is involved that that might bring more people out also...I personally would love to be out there as much as possible... clean up and trail rides...im good for all of it...
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm

There is actually a work day the 17th. The day we will be there. The adopt a trail system is a much more fun system. Workdays tend to be very disorganized and accomplish very little... government work ya know? Adopt a trail is club run and managed by the club and has very little contact with the Forrest service
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Government work...LOL...OXYMORON   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 pm

I would tend to agree with you...i just wanted to point out that there are good things going on there...personally i would rather adopt a trail or two or whatever...it would be more fun as it would be just Fjers and runners and tacos...i would much rather be out there with people i know....we should still look into that ....
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I am just ready to wheel
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: lol...   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 pm

you and me both brother...
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:37 pm

I got a set of bilstiends sitting here I want to put on but i dont have time before the weekend.

but by the end of this year I will have bilstien coilovers in front and double bypass 14" travel rear shocks with springs and swaybar extensions.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: like to have me some longer shocks for the rear    ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 am

I'm gonna need longer shocks for the rear thats for sure... this lift is great but it really makes the shocks top out... is like to get bilsteins too...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: ok ....its WEDNESDAY   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 pm

ok ladies and gentlemen...its wednesday and i think we need to go ahead and see exactly who is gonna be there this weekend and who they are bringing...also MEET time and step off time...i propose that we meet at the outpost around 9 am and step off by 930...just like we did last ride...

ill be there with my wife (she says she is still comming)

also a friend of mine may be comming with his jeep...not counting on it but he did express interest...
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Yuri and wife will be attending. Planning to arrive Saturday at 9 at the outpost to join up with the group.

Originally we were going to camp in the NF by the lake but some friends who recently camped there this summer said the camp was gross and not a pleasant experience for the ladies. I'm really wanting for this trip to go smoothly so my wife gets hooked on off-roading and camping. (She's more of an indoor girl)
Thus I'm changing my base camp location to Morrow Mt state park across the river. Little bit of a drive to the outpost but much better facility.

We might try to drop by the camp on Wolf's Den Friday night for a visit but can't say for certain till Friday. If we can we will come by and say hello, otherwise we'll see everyone Sat morning.

Thats my itenerary. Anyone else want to share?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I will be there. I will be bringing my wife and son. My wife is driving separately, because we are not sure how well my son will do in the FJ most of the day. He is 1.

Yuri, your comments about camping are discouraging. I have reserved 3 sites at the Arrowhead camp for Mid October. My family will all be camping out for the weekend. I might have to swing by there this weekend. This will be my first time there. I hope its not so bad I will have to cancel the reservations.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:27 pm

I'll be at the Outpost at 9:00 with my daughter and new puppy if is not raining...if rain, then no puppy.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Brian
I was dissapointed as well to get such a recent and poor review from trusted friends. Some unfortunate highlights, or lowlights, from their review were that there is no power at any of the campsites, restroom facilities were in very poor condition with trash everywhere, general cleanliness was very poor and in fact there had been some rather disgusting vandalism which rendered one of the men's stalls unuseable. Also they reported that the restrooms were covered in bugs, live and dead, to the point of grossing people out.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Should add that they also had trouble with all the dust and dirt being stirred up by the vehicles. Caused a couple of people who suffer allergies to be irritated.

I mean you can take all this info in consideration but it all depends on the tolerance levels of the people involved. I hate to sound like i'm downing the park. For anyone who understands that its a NF, not a state park, an off road park so there's going to be dust and vehicle noise, and can accept that and live with it, then i'm sure there won't be any problems.

In my case with the wife coming, and now it sounds like the kids might come camp overnight with us but not do the trail riding, the issues given above are beyond their tolerances and are deal killers for camping in the park. Making these type of family outings are all about compromise.

Hope this helps.
FJerYuri
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 5:30 pm

I will be arriving late Friday night. Probably close to 1030 at the wolf den campsite
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Yuri, I understand exactly what you are saying. There are a few campgrounds in the NF. The one I am staying at has electrical sites. I will hope that the conditions where we stay at will be better than this.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: if my math is good...(which it probably isnt)   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 pm

we should have 10-12 folks ..im assuming bobby and lisa will be joining us that should make 12..and a dog!!sweet...if my big dog was about 100 lbs lighter i would bring him ...but 210 lbs doesnt lend its self to riding in the back of a FJ being bounced around..the puppy might could go but she has such bad seperation anxiety and cant be gone out of earshot of the bigun...so ..it will just be me and the wife..im really looking forward to this ride...a great get together of significant others too...
Back to top Go down
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Is this the outpost where we are to meet ?

WHERE IS THE OUTPOST?
Eldorado Outpost
4021 NC Highway 109 N
Troy, NC 27371-1974
(910) 572-3474
N 35*26.769
W 080*01.296

At 9am correct ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Yep, there is an open area to the left (facing the building) that groups use to meet up. Just look for the FJs. This is where you can by trail passes, gas, drinks, etc. It is impossible to miss as it is really the only thing in the area.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 pm

If I recall, there is air there as well? I don't yet have a source to air up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Yep, there are 2 or 3 air/vac machines.
Back to top Go down
Orange Boxx

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Perfect !!!
She said she wants to try her hand at the trails as well !
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Im about to get drunked up friday night... this week is kicking my Buh-tox.... two days to go though.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 1:01 am

the outpost has free air and I have on board compressor so no worries in the air department.

Arrowhead campground is pleasant and far enough away from teh trails to be dust free.
Back to top Go down
Orange Boxx

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:22 am

I have an on board compressor as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 am

Free air! Dang it. I have always gone to the one by the building, and it cost $1. No wonder the others are always occupied. I want my money back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER URE RUN   ANOTHER URE RUN - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER URE RUN
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Events :: Individual Trail Rides-
Jump to: