NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install

Go down 
+2
FJ Derek
Merfal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Empty
PostSubject: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I found the battery tray install portion of Dirty Parts instructions to be inadequate. So here is my install the way I did it, including a part substitution.

Out of the box the tray and the z bracket need to be mated. You can see in the pic where I had the z bracket in the truck without the tray how I mated them together.

Then I took the intake tube off the intake so I could see what I was doing. I also chose to removal the large wire bundle running into the passenger side firewall from the arm holding it.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0706

Then I removed this bolt holding an a/c line bracket because that is the screw that is going to hold down a corner of the tray.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0707

After removal of the a/c line bracket screw I positioned the tray squarely in the area to be mounted with the foot of the tray lined up with the hole left by the screw removal.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0709

Then I lifted the tray while leaving the z bracket in the engine compartment so I could mark where I needed to drill. I did this several times to make sure I had the z bracket in the right spot.

Then I drilled and loosely installed the z bracket. The reason I didn't tighten it down all the way is because the battery tray had to go into and come out of the engine compartment several times while I tweaked the positioning of the z bracket until the tray positioning was perfect.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0708

Then when I was satisfied with the positioning of the z bracket I tightened it down and installed the tray. Now you can put the wire bundle back and tighten everything down. I also drilled a hole where the front passenger side corner of the tray is and put another bolt there.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0709

At this point you can follow the directions until they want you to drill a hole in the firewall to run the wiring through. I chose not to do this. Instead I used an extra hole (in the huge rubber grommet that everything runs through on the driver side) that was there from the factory. It was closed up but it was this little nipple thing that I just cut the end off of.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0710

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0714

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0715

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0717

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0720

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0721

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0722

When you connect all the wires to the solenoid there are some hanging out naked for all to see and a fuse that needs a home. So I zip tied the fuse to the large wire bundle and threw a short piece of wire loom over bare wires to make things look a little better.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0723

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0724

Here is the completed engine compartment.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0725

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0728

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0727

Then I continued following the directions until it became time to install the fuse and brass adapter. After almost setting my truck on fire out of frustration I decide not to use the little brass adapter. Instead I used an add a circuit with a male connecter at that I put on the end to match the female that came with the wiring from Dirty Parts.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0729

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0732

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0733

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0734

Then I took the center console apart to be able to install the switch. I had to cut out the ridges on the inside of the hole that the switch is pushed into because it is a touch bigger than factory.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0730

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0731

And here it is all finished.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install CIMG0735
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm

I like the 1911 in the floorboard!!
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 pm

I never walk out of my house without it!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Damn dude you must live in a bad part of town to have to carry a gun out to your truck! LOL>...
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Yeah...my wife had to chase three guys away from the back door with that gun as they were trying to bust through the glass. My neighborhood isn't bad but I'm surrounded by crap. We are moving soon.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 pm

wow i was actually trying to make a joke...sorry to hear that...good luck with the move!
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
wow i was actually trying to make a joke...sorry to hear that...good luck with the move!
Way to go Mike! Apology number 2!!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

FJ Derek wrote:
bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Way to go Mike! Apology number 2!!

damnit im down two!
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Lol no need for apologies
Back to top Go down
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
spotts78

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:42 am

Nice write-up and pics, thanks for sharing! Please keep us posted on what you think of the Dirty Parts kit as it's on my long term mod to-do list.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

yeah, ditto. nice write up
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm

i checked out their website...some really nice stuff...wow i remember when i bought a yellow top optima about 7-8 years ago and i only paid like 60 bucks...what the hell happened?? did they realize or think that they are made of gold??
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Curious...what you planning on running on the spare battery?
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm

A winch, lights, a ham radio (maybe 2), a cb, an inverter, and a couple of extra plugs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install   Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Install
Page 1 of 1