Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install Empty
PostSubject: Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install   Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 pm

DIFFICULTY RATING:
Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install WrenchIconBigOil and transmission cooler parts list with install WrenchIconBigOil and transmission cooler parts list with install WrenchIconBigOil and transmission cooler parts list with install WrenchIconBig

NOTE: This write-up was performed on a pre-2010 FJ. Starting with model year 2010, the oil filter has been relocated to the bottom of the engine and no longer use the "canister type" filter. Model year 2010+ uses a paper oil filter.

Neither the author of this article nor NCFJ Cruisers administration are responsible for any injury or damage you incur. This is a how to do thread and persons assume all liabilities upon doing this work. Please proceed with caution!

This is not the only way to do this nor is it the cheapest or most expensive out there but the way I want it.

The parts list

***I got the actual cooler and thermostat off Amazon for less.
Oil cooler parts list
Summit racing unless marked different
Earl’s 21910erl cooler x 1 $87.52 Amazon $124.95 Summit
Aeroquip aer-fcv1010 -10 hose 10’ long x 1 $42.95
Summit sum-220713b -10 90 degree x 2 $29.90
Summit sum-220703b -10 straight x 2 $11.90
Fragola fra-495106-bl -10 to 7/8 x14 o ring boss x 2 $33.90
Glow shift GS-aoc2 oil cooler adapter x 1 $36.99
Total minus shipping and tax $243.16

Transmission cooler parts list
Summit racing unless marked different
Aeroquip aer-FCV0610 -6 hose 10’ long x 1 $35.95
Earl’s 21906erl cooler x 1 $124.95 Summit Amazon was out.
Summit sum-220706b -6 straight x 4 $15.80 (2 can be omitted if no gauge)
Fragola fra-218006-bl -6 180 degree x 1 $16.95
Summit sum-220711b -6 90 degree x 2 $19.90
Summit sum-22064b x 2 -6 to 3/8” male $5.90
Aeroquip fbm-5152 3/8” fp tee x 1 $19.95 (can be omitted if no gauge)
Fragola fra-491203-bl 1/8” – 3/8” reducer x 1 $3.95 (can be omitted if no gauge)
Summit sum-220632b -6 male union x 1 $2.95 (can be omitted if no gauge)
These last two are the most difficult to trace. I ordered extras just to have, PM me for the contact info where they came from.
Aeroquip 2022-6-6s 3/8” fp to 6 m jic x 1 $4.95
10mm compression fitting to 3/8” mp x 1 $5.00
Total minus shipping and tax $256.25

This is the coolers I am using:

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0120

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0123

A little info on these, both are the same size just different inlet and outlet fittings:
Earl's Plumbing Temp-A-Cure Oil Cooler Gray 19 Row Narrow specs
Height 5 7/8"
Thickness 2"
Body width 8 1/4"
Face width 4" (between tanks)
Fitting centers 5 1/8"
BTU rating 18,240 each
Manufactured In USA
Aircraft Spec Aluminum Alloy
Latest Vacuum Brazing Technical
Increase Thermal Efficiency
Increase Mechanical Strength
Most Efficient/Smallest
Lightest Practical Package
Fastest Possible Heat Transfer

I am bypassing the exchanger for the transmission at first to get an accurate reading for the earls cooler. So please no flaming on this part I very well might have to install it after the earls cooler not before. This is due to the placement of a thermostatic manifold in front of the earls cooler. It bypass's fluid back to the source until it reaches 180 degrees then it sends it to the cooler. Now this is where the experiment begins. I want to see how effective this beauty is by itself, my trans temp probe is mounted pre- exchanger right now and it will be mounted pre manifold after install. I will route in the exchanger after a trial period to either warm the fluid back up while taking the load off the radiator to cool it thus lowering water temps. I have seen 220-230 water temp sitting in traffic, 240 trans sitting in traffic and 250 oil temp sitting in traffic. This is the method behind my madness!

Test Fitting:
Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0125

Bracket building;

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0132
Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0137

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0146
Plumbed:

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0147
Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0148
Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install IMAG0150

Instructions:

On the lower radiator line from the transmission remove it off the radiator and follow it down to the metal hard line and remove the factory rubber hose, set aside this will be used later. There is a barb on the end of the metal line you will have to cut it off. The simplest way is to lower the lines and use a tubing cutter. Once that is done get the compression fitting and the aeroquip part #2022-6-6s and assemble the 2 pipe thread ends together using Teflon tape or an equivalent. Be careful not to over tighten pipe threads as you can crack something.

Then assemble the compression fitting to the hard line you just trimmed. What fittings you use here are up to you. There are push lock which is what I used and the pressures won’t hurt anything. You also need to study how you want the lines ran. Every truck has different options and such. I have a 1” body lift so it made it easier. So you know what degree fittings to order.

To assemble push lock fittings there are a couple of ways the easiest but maybe not spouse approved is to boil some water and stick the end of the hose in there for a bit, all you want to do is soften the rubber so it goes over the barbs easier. The other way is to lube the hose up with some ATF and use brute strength and a wall, bumper or tool box or vise. Not the easiest but works well.
Now take your freshly lubed or softened hose and push it down on to a straight -6 fitting until it is fully seated. Lower this down the radiator to the hard line you just assembled, use 2 wrenches to assemble the hose to the compression fitting. Go finger tight and then a quarter turn with these fittings they seal remarkably well.
Now go back to the stock hose and cut it length ways from end to end, just one side though, take the stock hose and push the slit side along the hole in the radiator support by the head light. What you want is to make a o-ring for this hole. You will need to trim it back some to fit properly.
If you are installing a temp gauge do so in this line now. Where to put the “T” is up to you. To assemble the “T” get 2 x sum-22064b -6 to 3/8” male pipe adapters, 1 x fbm-5152 3/8” fp tee, 1 x fra-491203-bl 1/8” – 3/8” pipe adapter and the temp sending unit. On the single port of the “T” assemble the fra-491203-bl 1/8” – 3/8” and the sending unit together using Teflon tape or some other sealant. On the two opposite ends of the “T” assemble the 2 x sum-22064b -6 to 3/8” male pipe adapters here in the same manor. Cut the line and place the “T” where you cut using 2 x sum-220706b -6 straight. Run the other end of the Aeroquip hose out of the hole you just o-ringed and over to the farthest port of the new cooler, and cut it leave yourself a little slack here. Now assemble this to the sum-220711b -6 90 degree fitting and tighten it to the cooler port using two wrenches.

Now assemble the end of your remaining hose to the outlet of your cooler using the other sum-220711b -6 90 degree fitting and route this to the lower radiator port. Use whatever fitting you need to keep sharp bends out of the line. And assemble to the adapter you made on the radiator outlet.

You can pre fill the cooler with fresh transmission fluid Before assembling. I would also recommend doing a trans flush at this time as you are already here. Thanks Cliff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install   Oil and transmission cooler parts list with install Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Great write-up! Bet the coolers helped considering those HIDs are blocking the radiator!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas

Page 1 of 1