Battery Replacement

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

Battery Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:06 pm

When my FJ was in the shop yesterday they gave it the once over. I was told that my battery is only putting out 500 amps instead of the 710 it is rated at. It is obviously still working OK for now, but will soon need to be replaced.

I hear a lot about the Optimas but I alos know they are quite expensive. I am not running any extra electronics but may at some point add some off-road lights to the front.

Does anyone have an opinion about a particular battery?

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Optimas rock...but over kill for a stock FJ...they have some serious advantages but still over kill...i would find a battery that puts out what you need 710 CCA...but the biggest thing i would look for is the replacement and warranty of the new battery...that in the end will cost you less than buying a high dollar like an Optima...if your running a few extra lights you wont have a problem with the stock battery type...when your running lights, winch, a fridge, super sound system, and the like you really do want a battery that will power all of them...this is also a reason folks run a duual battery setup...chances are in your stock FJ you will never over draw your battery...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I run a yellow top Optima in my FJ55, have abused the tar out if it and it has held up great. Some have reported less than optimal results with newer Optimas but that is second hand.

I replaced my factory FJC battery at around 70k miles with a Sears Diehard Platinum which is a AGM battery - reported to be the same battery as a Odyssey. It has worked great for the past 30k miles.

A large benefit of going with a gel or AGM battery like a Odyssey, Die Hard Platinum, or Optima is spill protection. I don't want to be getting funky off road and flop or roll and have a potential battery spill to worry about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:54 pm

"A large benefit of going with a gel or AGM battery like a Odyssey, Die Hard Platinum, or Optima is spill protection. I don't want to be getting funky off road and flop or roll and have a potential battery spill to worry about."

well put...being able to actually mount it upside down is a nice benefit..not that mounting it upside down is an everyday occurance or is needed but having the spill protection and being able to beat the tar out of it is a definite advantage..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I would take an Odyssey or Die Hard over a Optima any day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I feel somewhat offended by the "stock FJ" comment Mike... affraid

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:41 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
"A large benefit of going with a gel or AGM battery like a Odyssey, Die Hard Platinum, or Optima is spill protection. I don't want to be getting funky off road and flop or roll and have a potential battery spill to worry about."

well put...being able to actually mount it upside down is a nice benefit..not that mounting it upside down is an everyday occurance or is needed but having the spill protection and being able to beat the tar out of it is a definite advantage..

I've seen them mounted sideways, and I've had mine "mounted" at quite an angle before... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Scottydog wrote:
I feel somewhat offended by the "stock FJ" comment Mike... affraid

well im sorry Scotty...with the addition of the new tires i guess your FJ is no longer stock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I feel better now...thanks...I also removed my mud flaps...so it is way modified Very Happy

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:32 pm

whoa...slow down there tiger....dont do too much too fast....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

just trying to keep up with the big dogs...LOL

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snowdogyyz
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Snowdogyyz

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Everything I read over on Mud leans towards new optimas no longer being dependable. In fact, they are almost considered a cuss word over there to some!They supposedly switched to a Mexican facility. Most LC guys swear by the Odyssey or Sears Platinum battery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:56 pm

I've had Optimas in the past and while they were great at replacing them under warranty, I had four batteries that died within the first two months each. I finally got my money back from them and just went back to a traditional battery.

I'm also going to need to replace my battery soon and I think I'm gonna try the new Diehard Advanced Gold. It's an AGM battery with 775 cranking amps for around $130 (on sale, usually around $145) and a pretty good warranty.

Battery link
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement   Battery Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Replacement
Page 1 of 1