NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?

Go down 
+6
ULTIMATEcruiser
Scottydog
Crazy Hube
smoky cruiser
NC FJ Driver
85runner
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Empty
PostSubject: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:55 pm

So I saw this on a few other forums. It looks like Rocky Mount Loop will be closed from Slab pile to Saw Mill. This includes the Kodak Rock area and the tricky spot below it. If you take RML counter clockwise you can still get the neat little hill climb before Slab Pile (I think, but this may be in the closed section as well), but that is it. This is disappointing since they are lots of lines on Kodak Rock. It helps break the monotiny of the trail. Its is definitely a good medium level trail for newer wheelers.

I am curious as to why the closure.
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Well it doesn't seem like there are many reasons to go now. Rocky mount was becoming more interesting and tricky than Daniel.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:03 pm

85runner wrote:
Well it doesn't seem like there are many reasons to go now. Rocky mount was becoming more interesting and tricky than Daniel.

Well then where ya gonna go?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 pm

85runner wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. I think there is still a lot at Uwharrie to enjoy. One of the major obstacles is gone, but the other trails are still fun.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: AHHHH   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Well that being said horse camp creek needs exploring supposed to be a really long trail with a campground at the head of the trail about 7 miles from Bumpass Cove as well
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Taken from NC4x4
Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Imageuploadedbytapatalk1363629700-935471-jpg
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 pm

And I bet we will never see this part of the trail reopened. MAYBE redirected, but they will never reopen knowing the artifacts are close by, and they won't move the artifacts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Later in that thread they were talking about the reason for the closure was quads leaving the designated trail. I would live to have some concrete info about this.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Ban the quads for all I care. Sure they wouldn't like it. But URE is not the best place to ride quads or dirtbikes, it looks so miserable
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 pm

It is just really disheartening. I looked forward to trying these couple of spots, because these were 2 of the spots that I could push my limit on.

Now all that is left is Daniel and it is not much of a challenge, besides the wide open hill that has multiple lines like Kodak, how pathetic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 pm

That's the problem with getting a front locker. Everything becomes too easy. Razz The direction we should take is to modify our rigs to be less capable. Then there are more challenges. I am personally going back to the stock suspension and switching to 31s.

2WDrive is looking more like a genius now.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 pm

LOL you still sound crazy to me
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 pm

I read that there were indian artifacts in the area and that was the reason for the closure.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Yea and great, we should preserve that stuff, but at what cost? Gather the stuff and put it in a museum where people can actually see it and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Just be glad they didn't close the whole place down in fear that there may be more throughout the whole area.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Yea I guess they aren't total monsters.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:11 pm

from what i have read ..this will onl be temporary...they are trying to figure out how to keep the "rock work" and the wheeling going at the same time...they will close it but i dont think it will be all season...
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 am

There is a good conversation about it over here http://forum.ih8mud.com/nc-olde-north-state-cruisers/717234-rml-shut-down-saw-mill-slab-pile-2013-wheeling-season-2.html#post8408732

Darin (krzyabncanuck) works directly with the FS and has about the most up to date information on what is going on
Back to top Go down
j.dorton
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
j.dorton

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Hopefully this issue can be repaired and the trail reopened.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 pm

im with you j.dorton...hopefully so!
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 am

Hmm. Last time I was up at Kodak with Larry in the summer, he was telling us about all the arrowheads he was finding after all the rain. So I do believe the artifact story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:33 am

MadToy wrote:
Hmm. Last time I was up at Kodak with Larry in the summer, he was telling us about all the arrowheads he was finding after all the rain. So I do believe the artifact story.

So what you are saying is that this whole mess is Larry's fault? Very Happy I never would have thought it.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 pm

If its artifacts I say take a picture and lets get back to wheelin'. There are tons and tons of museums full of artifacts and such, and almost as many spots you can go see them in their natural spot, only a few wheelin' spots...and how many people will pay more than once to see some 100 yr old scribblin on the wall, where I'll pay repeatedly during a season to go wheelin'.

Dont mean to downplay the past, but in the grand sceme of things, most of us have never seen a real dinasuar bone and guess what, we are all fine. We'll all survive if we miss out on some scribblin in URE, arrowheads, whatever. And Indian Mound is right down the road, its even got a hut on a mound...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 pm

you know Paul...you have a real ....nevermind...just get your hind end over and register for the show...im tired of waiting on some of you knuckleheads....LOL
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:27 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
...just get your hind end over and register for the show...im tired of waiting on some of you knuckleheads....LOL

I cant afford it, the government thought it was more important to fund the White House Easter Egg Hunt than me training A-Team Team Leaders full time...I dont know, the tactical Leaders of the Main Effort in the Global War on Terror, deployed right now to more spots globally than any other governmental (military or non-military) organization, or...nevermind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?   Kodak Rock Closed for this Season? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kodak Rock Closed for this Season?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next