NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"

Go down 
+5
bigdogdewey2
Southeast Overland
Crazy Hube
85runner
MadToy
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Nick, the KM2's are very nice. I was origanlly going to get them but they were to expensive for me in the size I wanted 285/75, even in a 16" wheel. I decided to go with the Hankook's and the only draw back I am feeling right now is these suckers are heavy and my mpgs took a hit from 19ish to 16ish. With the tall skinny combo you should get better mpgs and they are lighter. Also, the Toyo MT comes in the same size and from what i've heard they're an excellent tire too! My Hankooks are pretty nice though pirat
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Yea I am now trying to decide between the Toyo and KM2

The Toyo is actually 33.5" tall, so that is appealing. Both great tires similar tread aggressiveness and sidewall strength
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

4running wrote:
Yea I am now trying to decide between the Toyo and KM2

The Toyo is actually 33.5" tall, so that is appealing. Both great tires similar tread aggressiveness and sidewall strength

The Toyo is MUCH heavier though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

I have been looking at the Toyo 255s aswell Casey. Probably leaning towards those for my next set. Mainly because I like the idea of them being taller and trying something different. SOOO.., if you get them and try them out, it will help me make up my mind. They are about 3-4lbs heavier. I don't think they will provide the traction the KM2s will, but probably just a little less. The siping has me worried that they might chunk off worse in the rocks.

Or better yet you an buy my used KM2s and I will test the new Toyos!
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 pm

When will they be for sale Brian, I would love to buy them
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Some good comparisons - along with weights in post 4.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/14555-Toyo-MT-255-85R16-%28and-comparison-pics%29

It compares the BFG KM, not the current KM2. The KM2 is 55 lbs I believe. So the Toyo is 5 lbs heavier. You can feel the 5 lbs too - trust me!

Last edited by MadToy on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Well my plan was for next Summer when they would have 20-22 thousand miles. Right now They only have about 12 on them. If you are seriously interesed in sooner, I will give it some thought. I am not sure how to price them this new(but still used).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Nick, I think your search has lead you to the same sites I found.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Brian wrote:
Well my plan was for next Summer when they would have 20-22 thousand miles. Right now They only have about 12 on them. If you are seriously interesed in sooner, I will give it some thought. I am not sure how to price them this new(but still used).

I would have to make a move far before then. Think about the pricing and let me know, they can be had for 1100 new, was the quote I got
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Brian wrote:
The siping has me worried that they might chunk off worse in the rocks.

This shouldn't be overlooked. My Coopers were chunking badly, and the chunks were all right at the siping cuts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Nick, do you have your 255s already? How do they feel compared to the Coopers?

Casey, let me give it more thought. If you come out with us on the 1st look at the condition of my tires.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:04 pm

OK, I will try and get out there on that date
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: km2s   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Ihave beat the crap outta my km2s and they get a little road rash on the front of the lugs after heavy tire spin. They never get outta balance, and the rash wears away before I hit the trail again. I have no chunking or slicing. I tow steady about 3000lbs or so and they are still wearing well at about 20k.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Don't have em yet. Should be tomorrow or Friday.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Started to ask if anyone except BFG make a 255/80/16 but just actually clicked on the link at the top of this page...interesting info for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:30 pm

There are a lot of 255/85/16s, but BFG may make the only 255/80/17s.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Here are some lists.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/24853-The-255-85R16-Tire-Official-List

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/82734-list-tires-255-85-16-a.html
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:35 am

My initial thoughts of the BFG KM2's from the short ride from Discount Tire to work (~6 miles) - MUCH BETTER!!

These things are silent compared to the Coopers. They may be even quieter than the Duratracs. They ride nice and smooth, but need to get on the highway and see how they do at 75mph. So far, so good. We'll see how they do climbing the hill at The Flats tomorrow or Sunday Smile

Kinda liking the tall skinny look too. Gonna track the gas mileage to see if there's any difference.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:55 pm

MadToy wrote:
My initial thoughts of the BFG KM2's from the short ride from Discount Tire to work (~6 miles) - MUCH BETTER!!

Definately hope they work out for you! Pics please...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Camping now, and haven't figured out how to load pics straight to Photobucket with the phone.

They did great on the highway though pulling the camper. Very quiet. So far the only negative is the lack of any rim protector. Seems odd for an aggressive tire not to have it.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:24 pm

ahhh rim protectors are over rated....lol
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 pm

My wheels are pretty beat up even with the protectors. Don't know how much worse they would be if I didn't have them. Maybe no difference.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 7:21 pm

MadToy wrote:
Kinda liking the tall skinny look too. Gonna track the gas mileage to see if there's any difference.

Yeah, me too. Its more purpose and less show. Definitely not a maller's tire.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am

Well I did get to wheel the new tires a bit yesterday at The Flats. Didn't do anything difficult though, and no rocks (wife scared I would break something and then we'd be stranded with no way to tow the trailer home).

I did get to climb some nice steep dirt hills though (Brian would be in his glory here). It climbed with zero slipping - unlike several other trucks that were doing full throttle assaults on the hill and spinning all the way to the top. The BFG's gripped so well, horsepower became my bigger problem. It's the first time I ever felt that my motor was struggling to spin the tires. So it just slowly walked right up the hills, with me trying to get 'em spinning with no luck.

On the highway, they are so much better than the Poopers - I mean Coopers. Although you can hear them, it's more of a deep toned hum than the high pitch hum of the Coopers. Much more pleasant on the ears - and almost not noticeable unless you really listen for it.

Much happier now. Smile
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 am

Glad you like them thus far. I'm sure you will be very happy with the BFG's!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next