NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KM2 or duratracs ?

Go down 
+8
Speedrye
Crazy Hube
smoky cruiser
NC FJ Driver
iwashmycar
FJ Derek
MadToy
rockrock513
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey guys, I have a pretty good deal lined up on either of these tires...I think. 5 out the door for 1150 285/75/16.
I'm leaning towards the duratracs since the fj is my dd.
My only concern with them is their longevity.
Anyone have experience with these?
Back to top Go down

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 pm

If you are taking it offroad go KM2. Never been impressed with the duratracs offroad. If you are concerned with daily driving, go with falken wild peak or nitto tera grapplers. Duratracs are lose/lose. (in my meaningless opinion)
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Okay, I read some really good reviews on the blue room, but want more feedback from guys around here.
I want the best of both worlds I guess...
I have heard the dt is an aggressive at.
If I were to do another at I would go back with the bfg's in 285.

Some of my concerns w/ km2's are firstly that I have more than my fair share of Ricky Bobby moments...
I have had way to many oh poop moments hydro planing on the highway, and have heard km2's are bad for that.
Not a major concern, but I've also heard the km2's get louder with more miles on them...

I could get by w/another set of bfg at, but 2.5 of the 3 times I've been stuck were because my at's were bonded with mud....
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Brian,
We've already established your opinion is meaningless, but...
jocolor
Tell me the pros and cons of your time on the km2's if you would.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Duratracs are great for the street - and pushing your luck if you wheel in rocks.
KM2's are great off road, and pretty decent in the street.
Falken Rocky Mountains are fantastic in the street, and great in everything off road but slick mud.
If you're a daily driver and venture off road now and then in some gnarly stuff, the Rocky Mountains (Wildpeaks) are a great tire - much better than the Duratracs IMO.

Here's my Duratracs on two separate occasions...

KM2 or duratracs ? CutTire003
KM2 or duratracs ? IMAG0180
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Ouchy! No bueno!
Did those cuts happen at uwharries?
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 pm

How sketchy are the km2's at speed on the highway?
Back to top Go down

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 pm

I had the 255/85/16. They would be better road tires than the 285 size. Traction off road was excellent. I never had any road safety issue with the KM2s. I also wrecked several times in my youth (Casey's age) during wet conditions. So I don't speed when the roads are wet. No wrecks in 18 years! They will ride a little rougher than an AT is.

What I have seen/heard/witnessed with the DT: Not great traction off road and loss MPG (equal to a mudd terrain). So in my meaningless opinion you are getting the negatives of a MT and negatives of an AT. I guess they are quieter on the road though.

EDIT: The KM2s did get louder for me.

Last edited by Brian on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Ive got Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine and love them so far! Very quiet on the road and go up everything at Uhwarrie including Daniel.
Back to top Go down

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I think very highly of the terra grapplers, but I have never seen them in mud. Nick has made a believer of me towards the falken wild peaks. Last trip out he made it up a slick (very slick) hill much easier than I did. I think his longer wheelbase and front locker helped, but that hill was SLICK! After that they move to the top of my AT list. Terra grapplers being 2nd.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm

rockrock513 wrote:
Ouchy! No bueno!
Did those cuts happen at uwharries?

First one was cut at Richland road. Not sure what happened with the second one. It blew out on the highway while towing my travel trailer Shocked Shocked

Honestly, if an All Terrain tire will work for you, the Wildpeak (Rocky Mountain) is about the best you can get. It's one of very few AT's that have a 3 ply sidewall, and near silent on the road. So you can feel a bit more comfortable airing them down off road and putting the sidewall on the sharp rocks.

Oh - and they would be about $1050 out the door from Discount Tire for 5 with a 50k warranty....
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Except for getting my tires used and rather scalloped on the edges... I have been impressed with the Geolandars. They are not very aggressive though, but have done well with what I have used them on, albeit not a ton of stuff. I really like the E-load-rated tires feel on and offroad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Riddle me this Brian man:
Okay it's not a riddle just another question. I am now thinking 255's. seems like a good solid route to go
But, do you lose height when aired down? My wag would be u have less flex in the 255 sidewall...well I guess that answers my question....
How about rim protection? My bling-locks have taken a beating already.
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:07 pm

MadToy, aside from poop sidewalls, what did u think of dt's off road performance?
I was planning on getting road hazard for such events anyway 8-0
Back to top Go down

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm

I think the narrow tires air down very well. They conform well at the base, but due to the E rating don't sag on the side. I usually aired down to 20-22 and got great traction.

Now rim protection. Well my rims are beat up. To use the pop lingo, they are ratchet!.
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Would you have felt comfortable airing down more on those w/out beadlocks?

And would skinny vs wide make a difference on how low you could go?
Back to top Go down

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 pm

I would feel fine airing them down to 15. Just didn't see the need to. I preferred to retain a little more tire height. My new tires probably have less traction so I will air them down to 18-19. Unless you are doing some serious rock crawling I just don't see the need to air down past 15.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Ok, late to this, but must chime in and play Devil's Advocate. I have the Duratracs in 285/75/16 and mostly love them. Great road manners, quiet, awesome in the wet, and wheel as good or better than the driver of the vehicle they are on (me).

I know that Nick had issues with the sidewall, and first time out at URE I got a good gouge in the sidewall of one of mine that moved it to permanent spare...scratched up the rim and bashed the center cap as well. Since then, been to URE a handful of times, Richland three times, the Gulches and havent had an issue, with sidewalls or rims/center caps. I wonder if it was me and lack of experience, coupled with lots of skinny pedal that caused the issue?

Did Nick have the gouge when he hooked up the trailer, if so, I'm sure most would agree that was asking for trouble to add weight on a weakened tire, not the tires fault so to speak, ...if the gouge wasnt there and he hooked up the trailer and it blew, different story, and dont have any insight as to what might have caused that.

There is a 63 page thread (among many others) in the Blue Room with nothing but rave reviews from people wheelin in all kinds of terrain, sandy, rocky, muddy, etc. I havent (may well be out there) seen anyone but me and Nick that has had any sidewall issues.

I put mine on at 22300 and have 47000 now and have lots of wear left, are still quiet, and still perform well.

I have been looking for alternatives, follow all of Nick's tire adventures, looked really, really hard at the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx...but its 61lbs vs 51lbs for the Duratrac in the same size, with not near the following, so I am leaning towards Duratracs (when I do need tires) at this point.

I keep reading, but other than Nick's/my initial issues, I havent found anything that has convinced me its a bad tire.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: tires    KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 pm

I have about 28 thousand on my bfg km2s in a 2557017 basically a 33.4x10x17. Tall skinny. I have done rotations every 3kish and they are pretty quiet I still have a full half tread left zero cupping. I drive about 50 plus miles a day. I got em last january 2012. Great in all conditions offroad. On the road they are excellent for all but ice. Water even deep puddles feel safe at 55mph. Highway feels good up to around 100 mph. I payed a littlemore and got the load range e which is key. I run them between 10-12 psi offroad, and about 40psi on the road. I'd get the bfg km2s, or the kevlar mtrs from good year.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm

NC FJ Driver wrote:
I have been looking for alternatives, follow all of Nick's tire adventures, looked really, really hard at the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx...but its 61lbs vs 51lbs for the Duratrac in the same size, with not near the following, so I am leaning towards Duratracs (when I do need tires) at this point.

Paul, I have one word:

Hankook Dynapro MTs 295/75/16 Its what all the cool kids are running these days.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I do agree mostly with Paul's comments on the DT. I thought they were very good off road - better than the Cooper STT'S in my opinion. Did I mention I HATED the Coopers?

Although if you search Tacomaworld, you'll find quite a few sidewall stories with the Duratracs. I do feel the Rocky Mountains are better than the Duratrac in every way though, except maybe in ice or deep snow, which doesn't concern me too much in NC. The RM is 3-ply sidewall in a load range D, so it is a smoother ride also. Did I mention how quiet they are too? Smile
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Brian wrote:
Paul, I have one word:

Hankook Dynapro MTs 295/75/16 Its what all the cool kids are running these days.

Did you say you teach math...! lol!
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 pm

I am leaning more and more towards the km2's

The reason I was keen on the Duratracs was I read great reviews claiming it to be "an aggressive all terrain" or the in between of all terrain/mud terrain.

I want the most bomproof across the board tire I can get, and it sounds as if the KM2 is fitting that bill more and more.

With my experience with BFG AT, I couldn't see getting another AT if I was to go that route. Now if the Rocky Mountains have the 50k warranty like the BFG at's I would have to take a good look at them.

I am pretty set on going with a more aggressive rubber though, so it looks like the KM2 is the way.

Now...255, or 285?!?
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 pm

MadToy wrote:
Did I mention I HATED the Coopers?
That of course is what sealed the NO Deal with me!Laughing

MadToy wrote:
Although if you search Tacomaworld, you'll find quite a few sidewall stories with the Duratracs.
I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

MadToy wrote:
I do feel the Rocky Mountains are better than the Duratrac in every way though, except maybe in ice or deep snow, which doesn't concern me too much in NC. The RM is 3-ply sidewall in a load range D, so it is a smoother ride also. Did I mention how quiet they are too? Smile
If they just looked a little more AGGRESSIVE I'd be all in...I'll have to keep them in mind though...

Last edited by NC FJ Driver on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rockrock513
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

As to the other brands mentioned...there are several that have caught my eye, but it looks like my best prices are going to be on the KM2 and Duratrac.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

KM2 or duratracs ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KM2 or duratracs ?   KM2 or duratracs ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KM2 or duratracs ?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next