NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:34 am

So I've been pondering this idea of turning my glossy black Moto Metal wheels to flat, but keeping the silver parts.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bic6lOqIBMo/TWGGlNuSBcI/AAAAAAAAAS0/YCqQTncCyp8/s1600/moto-metal-951-black-wheels.jpg

Any thoughts???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 am

I liked the look of a flat black wheel. It made Brian's (ASI) look a lot better when he did it. Easy to touch up if you take it on the trail. I don't know how the silver parts would look though. I would probably do it all. Not sure the extra effort would be worth anything.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 am

Yea Brian's kinda got me thinking about it more, because the flat black and the flatness of the the tire look good together. First thing's first, I gotta black out the bumpers this weekend. I'll probably tape off the silver on one wheel and paint over on the other, then just see which one looks better.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 am

Is this going to be a mall crawler, or an actual off roading vehicle? tongue
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 am

LOL, Driving to work Mon-Fri, then offroad on the weekends.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 2:36 pm

looks like a plasti-dip top, mirrors and other stuff...this could be you Rolando...

Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Just2020washed
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 2:53 pm

The best thing about that picture is that dog just chillin!

But I've stocked up on cans to do my roof too, just gotta find the patience to climb up there and take the roof rack off Sad
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I would not remove the rack. Mask most of it and whatever gets on the other, simply peel it away. The transition points where the rack meets the roof are "built-in" separation points and the plasti-dip will separate there. Same is true for the windshield...cover most of it but leave the top few inches as a break and peel away.

Using too much tape will make it harder. The places where the tape meets the plasti-dip has to be pulled away before it dries or it will peel up as you pull up the tape. One way to lessen this is to put a few layers of tape and peel the top layer off after a couple coats. Then another layer and so on...
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Ahhh thanks man! I honestly didn't think about leaving a peal-away part rather than tape it tight on the lines. I think the only part that I'd have to do the multi-layer method would be between the two side windows where the white top meets the gray paint, but luckily it's not too big of an area.

Here's a question for ya... how should I go about getting around the front doors? The white paint line actually stops inside the door jam, so would it be best to have the door open and tape the whole thing off with a drop cloth or something?
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Tough one there...it will be hard to get good coverage and keep the dip out of the FJ...it will peel off the weather strip and other rubbery things real easy...drop cloth would be perfect. I use old bed sheets cause they seem easier to maneuver and aren't so thick that they bunch up.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Scottydog wrote:
it will peel off the weather strip and other rubbery things real easy...

So are you saying I should only paint down to where the weather strip stops? (sorry for all the questions, just trying to do it right the first time)
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Spray ALL the white. use the weather strip as a peel point. Drape clothe over every thing else.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Oh I see what you're saying. Man, I appreciate the suggestions... that makes it seem like much less of a pain the rear! Hopefully I'll get it all finished this weekend!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Can't wait for pictures...so I know what it will look like on my silver before doing it...LOL
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Hah, I hear ya! I'll definitely keep you posted on the progress. As of now, I am planning on blacking out the bumpers, mirrors, roof, and possibly wheels. Jeez, I'm gonna need some more cans!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:13 am

Bumpers and mirrors are done! They look excellent too. Next weekend, I tackle the roof. Then we'll see if my arms can shake a little more to hit the wheels. I need to invest in a real paint sprayer confused
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:43 am

Those spray can handles that Lowe's sells work great. They are only like $10 but well worth the investment.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am

Funny you mentioned that. I thought about that after I got done painting yesterday... Lowes has one for $6, and I will def be purchasing that on my next Plasti-run! It would have been nice for the other stuff too, because those nozzles get tiring in a hurry!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 am

They have 2 to choose from. One was a bit cheaper...I recommend the one that cost a bit more. I bought the cheaper one last year when spraying a bunch of patio furniture. It lasted about one can then broke. I bought the other (I think made by Rustoleum) and have used the crap out of it.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:57 am

Ahh nice, I'll have to go with that one then. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte   Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about plasti-dipping my black wheels to matte
Page 1 of 1