NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers

Go down 
+2
MadToy
2011TRDIceberg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Empty
PostSubject: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:30 am

Im wanting to get rid of the BFG A/T's and go up to a 285/75R16. Discount tires as the KM2 at $259 and the Nitto at $260 so price doesn't really factor in. I was wondering about milage and performance. I hardly ever go off road but when I do I want to be able to go. This is a daily driver so I need tires to last. I dont mind tire noise, I actually kinda like it. The tires on my truck or loud and im getting Super Swampers next for it. Any suggestions on replacement tires? And I've heard the 285's fit no problem (no lift or leveling kit) they are only about a inch larger all the way around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:27 am

I think either of these would be fine tires. Both should fit on a stock vehicle, but this size will look stuffed in the front wheel wells. A smaller front spacer lift wouldn't cost much and would make it look a lot better. The stock bfg ats are around 31.8" and these other tires are around 33.1"s. Its more the width that would cause issues with the FJ's body mounts. With that said most people do not have issues with the 285s on stock wheels.

I have the Km2s and really like them. They definitely have superb traction off road. I have heard the nittos are real heavy and this could hurt mpg. I have no personal experience with the nittos though. I am sure someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am

These will be my next tire. Very good reviews for on and off road...

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/hankook/product/submitProductSize.do?r=NCOINT|pc|28078&pc=11282
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:05 am

those tires look good
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 am

yeah id like to get a leveling kit, i was think the day star kit that lifts the back too..it would be nice to find a good hearted person on here to help me install it for a case of beer or lunch or a smaller fee than 4wheelparts Smile
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 am

If you were willing to travel - ASI in Charlotte gives a generous discount to members here. I'd bet certainly better than 4Wheelparts.....

Plus I heard he will lend you his FJ for the day while he has your truck - and you're free to take it up to URE or any other place.... Smile
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

My brother has km2's on his 4runner and i have the new MTR's. The km2's wear a little faster then mine. I feel that the tread compound is a little softer for the km2's than the MTR's, but they still flat out work when you air them down. I'm not actually sure about the price difference on them but last I checked the km2's always costed more.
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am

MadToy wrote:
If you were willing to travel - ASI in Charlotte gives a generous discount to members here. I'd bet certainly better than 4Wheelparts.....

Plus I heard he will lend you his FJ for the day while he has your truck - and you're free to take it up to URE or any other place.... Smile

First part is true, second part not so much! lol. We would be happy to help, with parts and labor! Just let me know if you would like some prices and options!
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Well if we are throwing out suggestions,..... I have to promote my tire size! I get a commission anytime someone buys a set. 255/85/16. It is a taller tire (33.3") with a width close to the stock size. Great traction on most surfaces, with more clearance, and they are lighter. This size initially costs less (than 285/75/16) and in the long run saves a little money on gas too. If you need a wide tire for looks, this is probably not your tire. If not you might want to consider this.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

yeah i like the stock tire width...but they r the same height. Was your FJ stock height when you installed them? if so any rubbing issues ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 pm

I had my tires mounted the same time I put my lift on. However I think anyone running these would tell you you will be ok in the rubbing issue. These tires are a good 1.5" taller the the stock bfgs. Its the narrower width (compared to a 285+) that allows the taller tire without rubbing issues.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm

O Ok so you think the 285/75R16 would rub? A guy on fjcruiserforum.com put them on a stock TT with no rub
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

No, I think either of these sizes would be fine with respect to rubbing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I guess I should say, there are a few people who have run some 285s that have rubbed the body mount chop. However I don't think most people have a problem with that size. Every tire is slightly different. Rolando ran 285s without a lift. He could tell you more about that tire size.

The lift doesn't really correct the rubbing situation. Its only helps out during flat surface driving. The minute you start compressing you suspension, your wheel is back in is "stock" location.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah im going to do some more research besides its awhile before the stock A/T's are worn out. And if i go up in size ill have to get 5 and the spare cover wont fit either
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:35 pm

I sold my BFG ATs on Craigslist for $500. I had 3 offers in 2 hours, and literally sold them that afternoon. I probably could have gotten $600 for them if I was willing to repost and wait. They had either 2500 or 3500 miles on them when I sold them.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm

With respect to the lift, check into putting the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on the front. You can level and/or lift with these.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Yeah i remember hearing about them on tacomaworld... they are prob the best value to level up the front
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 pm

I put those on the front and some OME springs on the rear and got about 3" of lift all around. Springs are a bit stiff, but not terrible.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:15 pm

If you need someone to take the BFG AT off you hands when the new ones are on let me know...I'm sure I can find a spot for them.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Ok sounds good I will let you know
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

As far as the tires, the KM2s are not near as good as thy used to be as far as mileage. The Nittos have become a better tire in the past year or so. I have a buddy that works at Merchant's Tire here in E-city and he said a few loyal BFG customers have swapped because of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers   BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BFG KM2 or Nitto Trail Grapplers
Page 1 of 1