NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)

Go down 
+4
85runner
Crazy Hube
MadToy
Southeast Overland
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Empty
PostSubject: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Just trying to get some feedback about interest for this. I think it would fun to hit URE or Richland Rd while it is raining. I think it would add a neat element to things. Anyone willing to hit the trails with me when there is garaunteed to be rain? Preferrably hard rain. I thought the 15 minutes when it poured on us last Saturday was awesome.

Chime in if your are and we can compile a rainy day list.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 3:24 pm

URE in the rain is a different beast - similar to how Beasley Knob becomes slick as the dickens when it gets wet. I've been caught at both places in the rain and even though it wasn't too much to handle it is a different ball game. Expect for moderate trails to become pretty difficult. It will be an experience. Get ready to pull cable! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjahBqGzlRhfRs0eefxiZl_Bf21Xex4Bz-V2q72o2McuGD0wWQ

I would be game. Better than watching Jerry Springer re-runs on a rainy day.....
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I've been at Uwharrie when it was pouring down rain. I had no fun at all, it is a complete nightmare. The soil there is just so hard packed it turns into an ice rink. Ask Tyler (854runner) where he got his body damage.
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Ya uwharrie sucks when its wet. All you do is slide everywhere. You can't get traction to save your life. I've been in the pouring rain a couple of times and when it was snowing there.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 pm

I was at Beasley 1.5 years ago and it started to rain late in the afternoon, then it started sleeting, then it started snowing and that is when all heck broke loose. Getting should have taken 10 minutes but it took instead over 3 hours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 pm

I understand all of this, but I am still interested. I would obviously stick to the basic trails. There is just a limited about of options to wheel locally. I need something to break up the monotony.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Brian wrote:
I understand all of this, but I am still interested. I would obviously stick to the basic trails. There is just a limited about of options to wheel locally. I need something to break up the monotony.

Wheeling in the rain will definitely be different. My Beasley experience was in the rain and we didn't get out until it was dark. I was afraid with the rain the gates would be locked and we wouldn't be able to get out.

Keep me posted. While it wouldn't be fun I'm up for an adventure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm

At the very least it might give us the chance to practice some recovery.
Back to top Go down
johnboy
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 3:28 pm

anyone up for a trip to hurricane creek.ive only been out there once but i thought it was one of the best trails id been on.that mudhole about 1/2 way through was a nice change of pace on the ride.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 5:53 pm

johnboy wrote:
anyone up for a trip to hurricane creek.ive only been out there once but i thought it was one of the best trails id been on.that mudhole about 1/2 way through was a nice change of pace on the ride.

FYI the mud holes along Hurricane Creek are off the road and not legal. You could get busted by a Ranger if you are playing in them. Please stay on the trail/road.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:50 pm

play in da muddd......play in da muuuuuud....go deeeeep.....
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:02 am

I have run all of URE in the very wet rain...

I love the sound of rocks banging and clanging as you just hold the wheel straight and hold your right foot on the floorboard. No sense in steering cause your just going to bounce off the banks anyway.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:47 pm

crogers6569 wrote:

I love the sound of rocks banging and clanging as you just hold the wheel straight and hold your right foot on the floorboard. No sense in steering cause your just going to bounce off the banks anyway.

i love the sound too...but my front spindles just wont take it..or would they?
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 am

crogers6569 wrote:

YIKES! NO THANKS! Haha, wish you luck on that Brian!

As for Hurricane Creek Johnboy, be sure to post up a thread if you decide to organize a run. Been there several times, my first (ride-along) was in the snow and it was great! We had planned to do a snow run this past winter but....it didn't snow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)   Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trail Ride in the Rain (Anyone interested?)
Page 1 of 1