NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

October URE Run?

Go down 
+5
ncorn38
crogers6569
bigdogdewey2
Darklight
Scottydog
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

October URE Run? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 am

We'll only be on Dickey Bell for a tiny bit. I can't remember how challenging it is on that northern end though. Should be Exciting!
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 5:18 pm

(Then going a couple miles north on 533.
START:
North end of Dickey Bell (96A) going north to intersect Rocky Mnt Loop (92)

Oh i see, the northern part shouldn't be bad. I thought you wanted to run the whole trail 96A. I'm down either way. . See you at the Outpost.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Home from Uwharrie. MAN what a fun day!!
Thanks to Bobby and Lisa again as usual they are the best people to go wheeling with. Tasty brownies Lisa!

Today had the added fun of parking at Kodiak Rock and watching as a number of Big Arse Vehicles did some spectacular (and less spectacular) rock crawling. The pictures will say it all. They were all modded jeeps mostly, no FJ's but there was one really outstanding Tacoma that actually did two large circles in the middle of Kodiak Rock. Yes, he purposely chose the hardest routes. He made it all look easy and left those that witnessed it in awe.

Trail was pretty crowded at times along Rocky Mnt Loop, we had to let others play through a few times. We watched one fellow trash out his vintage 1967 Range Rover on the steep climb just before KodiaK. Oil dripping on the rocks behind him and lots of shiny metal on his sliders by the time he gave up and took the easier bypass. Crazy.

Anyway tons of fun. Can't wait to do it again. The weather today was spot on perfect and the trees were very very colorful. Beautiful day.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:48 am

We had a blast again! We watched the big guys play on Kodak rock for a little while. That was fun. I dimpled and scratched the rear passenger corner of my bumper going down Rocky mountain high center rock. Popped it back out in a few secends. Tried buffing and polishing but just made it a shiney scratch. I decided to hit it with some duplicolor black paint and well it's a good 5 footer. It's not that bad though. Lisa's not feeling to good with allergies and stuff so hopefully we can get the pic's up soon! Until next time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Sorry about the dent, but not really. I don't feel so bad about mine now. I look forward to the pictures.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

The dent on Bobby's 4runner was so close to not existing at all. Descending the loop trail down from Kodiak rock, there at the three way split, Bobby went to the far left, the one with the big deep trench. I spotted him past the tree stump and down into the trench. There are a couple of deep drop offs in the trench where it gets steep. As the 4runner went into the drops, everything looked perfect. The vehicle was past the two wheels in the air part. And just at that moment, the truck took a quick lunge forward, maybe a foot. The passenger rear wheel dropped into the hole too fast and the rear bumper came down on a pointed rock that stuck out like a little diving board. It poked a dent right at the curve of the bumper.

Didn't see that coming. The truck was 99.99% through the obstacle. Then that tiny bit of extra momentum set in. I felt gut punched seeing it happen.

Well i guess thats going to happen if you do this sport long enough. But it was a downer. I could see Bobby was frustrated by it happening. He had always taken the easier path at that obstacle before I think. What a an unwanted reward for deciding to take the harder route. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:49 pm

It was worth it. No before pic's of the damage and no real biggie. I let my tootsie of the brake just a hair and like Yuri said it lunged a bit to quick over that last drop. I knew going down that path this might happen so np. I'm so close to the ground i consider my rig a low rider now Razz More excuse for a lift and armor! I'm glad i took that route as it was alot more fun then taking the easy way and looking back saying dam i wish i went the harder route Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Exactly. I was upset about my dent/scratch for about 2 days then realize how much fun I had had and will have. Compared to this the little dent doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am

thats exactly how i feel about my dents scratches and gouges... Yuri you know what i feel like all day long now spotting everyone that asks up and over whatever they ask. You feel responsible when your spotting to make sure no one gets any damage. Then if someone does get damaged you feel like its all your fault.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:34 am

Yeah I can definitely relate to that now Chad. It was a "Gulp" moment when that fender made contact.

But as a driver I have always felt that the person spotting me, no matter how experienced they are or well intentioned, is only human and can never guarantee that I'll make it over the trail in one piece. Ultimately I am the driver and I alone am responsible for any scratches, dents, or worse. I appreciate very much that someone is being kind enough to spot me and I consider it a big help to me, but I am always fully aware that the moment I leave hwy 109 and enter the park that I am risking damaging my vehicle.

I depend on those who are willing to be my extra set of eyes on the trail. I WANT people to be willing to take that role for me.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
one really outstanding Tacoma that actually did two large circles in the middle of Kodiak Rock. Yes, he purposely chose the hardest routes. He made it all look easy and left those that witnessed it in awe.

Was it a newer one? What color?
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

This was an early-mid 80's model red pick up and also a black one with a roll cage. Pictures coming soon.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Oh, so it wasn't a tacoma, just a pre-taco pickup.

I still think I know the ones you're talking about, they're there almost every weekend.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Here is a link to the pictures from our last Uwharrie trip on October 22nd. We started out at the Outpost that was over run by A Land Rover group. They had some cool LR's out there though. We started the trail at Wolfs Den and went around the longer way into Falls Dam. From there we went into Rocky Mountain Loop and down past Kodak Rock where we hung out for a bit. Then the rest of Rocky Mountain Loop and then we called it a day. For your viewing pleasure:

https://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb349/Darklight777/URE%20October%202011/
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Did you see the SouthEast Overland FJ? It's pretty sweet, he ran with the Rovers.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 am

Yea forgot to mention that the Southeast Overland blue FJ was there with full RTT and all. That was pretty sweet we talked to him for a little bit before heading out. I think his name was Steve? He gave us some stickers and a card. I didn't get any pics of him or his rig at the Outpost though.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:26 am

Oh Yeah! I forgot about the blue Southeast Overland dude! Very cool rig. Compass graphic on the sides, RTT with canopy. He was very talkative but also very interesting to listen to. I never saw him out on the trails though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October URE Run?   October URE Run? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October URE Run?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3