NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

camping for the OBX trip in october

Go down 
+3
Imperial AT-FJ
cjcradier
Lacey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lacey
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Lacey

camping for the OBX trip in october Empty
PostSubject: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 1:34 pm

A lot of the beach camp grounds are closed for the season by the time we are planning to take our trip. I have found one that is still open for our dates, but it is 89 miles away in Ocracoke and involves a ferry ride. There are other campgrounds closer but they are set inland. Does anyone have any thoughts/comments/input on where they would like to camp if they are still interested in doing so? If so let me know and I'll work on getting the information together.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for taking point on this Lacey. I'm guessing there's not a koa camp ground near. There is a koa here Route 12 Rodanthe, NC 27968. It is 18 miles from the sugar creek restaurant. And I also read a review big tents dont do well there. The wind can get pretty vicious at night. Smaller ones are ok but can get beat up.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 am

They have a 2 room cabin that sleeps 6 for 260.00 for 2 nights. That divided by 6 people is 44.00 for the two nights. Or a tent ground with electric for 2 is 100.00 for 2 nights and a regular tent ground is 90.30 for two nights. Now the cabin is the best deal for up to six people. And Knowing we all or most of us are strangers, might be a little weird. But hey love thy neighbor.
Back to top Go down
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 am

Frisco Campground is were I have been going for years! Just a few milles south of Hatteras Ligh House. Privately owned, they have cabins and tent sights on water and tucked away to avoid wind.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 am

Sounds good to me. Are they open on the weekend in question.
Back to top Go down
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 am

Should be, there is a general store at the road, campground behind it. No gate or anything so whoever can come and go as they please. Works well for when I meet family there. Showers, pool, and even electric hook up!
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 am

Outstanding!!!
Back to top Go down
Lacey
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Lacey

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 am

thanks for the feedback guys! there are a few places towards the hatteras/ocracoke end but i didnt know if anyone wanted to go out that far. i know personally for me it would work out only because i could take the ferry back home since new bern is almost directly across from ocracoke. ocracoke has a campground on the beach separated by dunes that is $20/night and allows 2 tents per site. if anyone has more experience with the campgrounds out there let me know. i've been trying to go camping on the beach for over a year now and i would really like the opportunity to do so on this trip!
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 am

I usually stay at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe. It's the nicest campground on the OBX and open year round. Not the cheapest place but it has everything you need and is located pretty much on the middle of the OBX. They have both ocean side and sound site sites with full hookups. I have a pull behind camper but have tent camped there over the years. It's pretty open so wind could be an issue for tents. Here's the link. http://camphatteras.com/
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 12:20 am

I think im just gonna show up and play this by ear... Gotta be camping cause the doggy wont be accepted at any of the hotels i can find online.
Back to top Go down
jpsentilles81
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 12:47 am

I found a place Adventure Bound Campground Kitty Hawk it has a bath house with hot showers and toilets free use of crab nets bonfire site picnic tables wooded shaded and open field camp sites 28 dollars per night for 1 tent and up to 2 people 5 bucks for additional adults number to call is 2522551130 this is where I am camping it would be awesome to get all the campers together!!!!

Adventure Bound Campgroundcamping for the OBX trip in october 9
1004 W. Kitty Hawk Road
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
(252) 255-1130
Toll Free: 1 (877) 453-2545
http://www.adventureboundnc.com/
http://www.adventureboundnc.com/Rates.html
Back to top Go down
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm

I know its a bit late, but the place I usually stay at just opened back up! With a stay one night get 2nd 1/2 off special to celebrate!! Ill be there Thursday night.

http://www.thefriscowoodscampground.com/upcoming_events
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: doggy stay   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm

hey CROGERS...have you lookied to see if there is a LAQUINTA nearby? if so they will absolutely accept your dog...they are a pet freindly hotel/motel chain...
Back to top Go down
jpsentilles81
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Has anyone figured out where they are staying I think it would be great for all the campers to be close!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: camping for the OBX trip in october   camping for the OBX trip in october Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

camping for the OBX trip in october
Page 1 of 1