NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Handheld CB radios

Go down 
+12
bigdogdewey2
totald
bluejack13
rylandnc
cjcradier
Scottydog
ncorn38
Snowdogyyz
NC FJ Driver
CarolinaCruiser15
crogers6569
David B
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 am

I will say that I have never accidentally hacked anything, and I have fixed everything I have hacked. The typical Coast Guard Aviation mechanic is very cautious since we fly on the same aircraft we fix. We are all fixers and flyers, not fixers or flyers. It definitely makes you more aware of the people fixing your plane.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:33 pm

totald wrote:
I will say that I have never accidentally hacked anything, and I have fixed everything I have hacked. The typical Coast Guard Aviation mechanic is very cautious since we fly on the same aircraft we fix. We are all fixers and flyers, not fixers or flyers. It definitely makes you more aware of the people fixing your plane.

That sounds awesome... and by the way, I want your job Dave!!! lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Totaled, I have got to agree with you, 32 years as an aircraft mechanic. I do believe & must believe we as aircraft mechancs are the safest mechanics of any mechanical technician job out there. Our lives, our families, our friends, & those who we haven't met lives depend on it. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Just a little light hearted ribbing for totald....here, here to the Avaition Mechanic!!!
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I definitely love what I do, and while here in e-city I get to share that with the younger crowd coming up through the ranks. As for the ribbing, I can take it as well as I can give it.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:25 pm

I used to love jumpin' out of helicopters though, especially the old Sky Crane back in the day! But I digress, what were we talking about anyway....hmmm...oh, yeah, cb's!Very Happy

My Bandi mount and antenna spring made it today...now if the radio, cable, antenna, and quick disconnect will just get here, I can get it in before it snows on a weekend and we all head to Richland Rd and Hurricane Creek...speaking of which, any snow reports from out west?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: parts   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:36 pm

i too am waiting for some parts...cable, antenna, and spring two of the three are shipped already..cant wait...this week i have some work to do before i get back to classes...cb, rubber flooring, sliders......
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
...this week i have some work to do before i get back to classes...cb, rubber flooring, sliders......

aint life grand!cheers
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: life is grand   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:37 pm

life is very much grand...progressing nicely on the cb radio and slider front...rubber flooring will be a fun project to do too...

the cb radio install is going to be fun...i cant wait to start tearing apart the interior to run my cable...
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 am

For those that might be interested, I found a pl 259 connector bulkhead feed through from west marine. I will be using one in my center console so I can run my cable to it in the console and then connect and disconnect my radio from there. Power will come from my extra power receptacles I will also be installing.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 7:51 am

^must have pic's!^

All my stuff is in, just need some time off, hopefully this weekend, to get mine installed.cheers
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 am

totald wrote:
For those that might be interested, I found a pl 259 connector bulkhead feed through from west marine. I will be using one in my center console so I can run my cable to it in the console and then connect and disconnect my radio from there. Power will come from my extra power receptacles I will also be installing.

since I have to copy everything you do...what mount did you do? ohh yeah, pics or it didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 8:28 pm

tbulluck wrote:
... ohh yeah, pics or it didn't happen.
Just like climbing a mountain...no summit snap, no credit!!Laughing
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Ok, so I went with the Cobra 75 WX ST. The kit comes with the hardware to mount the 5 pin connector that looks like this (photo courtesy the www)...

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 1SomeoneElsesmounting

The rubber gromet/swedge fit, is the only thing holding the 5 pin connector in the mount, so it would be possible to push the connector through the mount and into the space behind the dash when mounting the handset, plus I didnt like the look of it. I looked for a bulkhead connector for the 5 pin, but they make them for the PL259 connector, not the 5 pin DIN connector. I eventually found a set up that I really liked that uses a chasis connector.

It requires you to switch the connectors on the control box and the hand mic. This is the pic of the hand mic and control box AFTER a local electronics store reversed the connectors.

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 2HandMicandControlBox

Last edited by NC FJ Driver on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 pm

You then have to have a short cable made with a 5 pin DIN connector on one end, and a chasis mount on the other. The guy I saw on the internet used a switch blank (pic 2), but I didnt want to tie up a switch location so I had the shop make a plate like...

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 3ExtraCableandChasisMount

Inspiration pic...

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 6Switchblank
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Here's the plate up close...

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 4MountingPlate

You have to reverse the connectors because you want the 5 pin on the hand set so you can use the chasis mount on the control box lead coming from the box to the dash. All togethter it looks like...

Handheld CB radios - Page 7 5AllConnected

There are a couple of places I'm playing with mounting it...had to wait until I got it to do some checking....more to follow when I get around to installing it all.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 pm

tbulluck wrote:
totald wrote:

since I have to copy everything you do...what mount did you do? ohh yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

The key words in my post were "will" not "did". I haven't done any of it yet but like most things I do I will have it all planned out and mapped out when I am ready.

I have the Midland 75-822 like many others. Even though I preferred this radio, the one thing I did really like about the Cobra was the single connector versus separate power and antenna connectors.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: i agree   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 pm

totald...i totally agree with what you said...i like the singe connector of the cobra but i like the hand held "walkie talkie" idea of the midland...i guess you cant have both...LOL

or at least in our case!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: by the way   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 pm

My 4' firestick came in today however it was delivered to Angies work and she forgot to bring it home!! its all good...im not mad at her nor even disappointed...i am just glad it came in finally...ill install tomorrow...i cant wait!!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm

My quick disconnect should be here tomorrow...plus I finally got the grommet over the wire through the door.

Last edited by Scottydog on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm jealous. I still haven't been able to order the rest of my setup.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: CB   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 pm

i have run the plug for the antenna to the radio through a hole that i drilled right below the 12v plug on the center console..pic tomorrow when there is light.

i ran the cable from the bandi thru the rubber boot into the storage compartment then thru and under the left rear seat continueing under the sill on the driver side then across to the center console and up to the hole i drilled...ill snap pics of it when i have light
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
i have run the plug for the antenna to the radio through a hole that i drilled right below the 12v plug on the center console..pic tomorrow when there is light.

i ran the cable from the bandi thru the rubber boot into the storage compartment then thru and under the left rear seat continueing under the sill on the driver side then across to the center console and up to the hole i drilled...ill snap pics of it when i have light

I ran mine same as you Mike... Except I ran the coax up through the e-brake "hole". I might be relocating it though. Still trying to find the perfect spot. Lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:42 pm

Drill a hole...chicken?
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm

very similar to my plan as well mike and Rolando. I will be drilling a few holes since I will be installing power ports as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handheld CB radios   Handheld CB radios - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handheld CB radios
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next