NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Body Mount Chop

Go down 
+3
totald
crogers6569
David B
7 posters

Body Mount Chop - Only respond if you are running 285's or bigger tires
YES
Body Mount Chop Vote_lcap56%Body Mount Chop Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
NO
Body Mount Chop Vote_lcap44%Body Mount Chop Vote_rcap
 44% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Who out there has done the body mount chop?

If you are running 285's or bigger, and did not have to do the BMC to prevent rubbing, what are the details of your lift, tires, rim size, etc
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:50 pm

I did one on my 4runner... Used a cut off wheel on a die grinder and cut the excess beyond the mount off.
Back to top Go down

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:54 pm

I am running 255/85/16s BFG KM2s. They are 33.3x10x16. This is about 1/2in taller than your average 285, but more narrow. I have zero rub. The smaller width allows for the taller without a BMC and gives more room around the UCAs. I am running a 2.5" spacer lift up front and a 2" coil spring lift in the rear. I measured my height before and after the lift/tires and I am sitting 4 inches higher. I am not sure how all that added up, but that is what it came out to be.

These tires are also only a couple lbs (1.5 I think) over the stock BFGs. This has helped lessen gas mileage loss.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Brian wrote:
I am running 255/85/16s BFG KM2s. They are 33.3x10x16. This is about 1/2in taller than your average 285, but more narrow. I have zero rub. The smaller width allows for the taller without a BMC and gives more room around the UCAs. I am running a 2.5" spacer lift up front and a 2" coil spring lift in the rear. I measured my height before and after the lift/tires and I am sitting 4 inches higher. I am not sure how all that added up, but that is what it came out to be.

These tires are also only a couple lbs (1.5 I think) over the stock BFGs. This has helped lessen gas mileage loss.

This is VERY good to know!!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 am

I like the idea if no chop and better gas mileage. Sounds like a good compromise for tires.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 8:10 am

I'm running GY Duratrac's, 285/75R16 (33.1" tall x 8.7" wide) instead of the 285/70R17 (32.8" tall x 9.1" wide) most run. You can tell the difference when sitting next to a vehicle with the 17's, otherwise looks the same.

I've also got the OME medium lift. I didnt measure before/after, but the OME lift usually runs between 2.5-3" of lift.

I'm wearing Raceline Renegade 6 wheels (16x8) with 0mm of offset and 4.5" of backspacing.

I have not done the chop and do not rub.
Back to top Go down

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 8:32 am

totald wrote:
I like the idea if no chop and better gas mileage. Sounds like a good compromise for tires.

Not really a compromise. In most conditions the narrower tire should provide better traction. From when I researched the only time it would be a disadvantage is when riding through 2 ft or more of loose mud or sand. This is also if you do not need the look of the wider tire. 285s run about 1" to 1.2" wider.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: BMC   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:16 pm

i am running 285/75 17s and i HAD to do the BMC...i also have to run 1.5" spacers to accomodate the aftermarket wheels ..(brake caliber thing)...
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am

I ran a 285/70R17 that only rubbed at extreme angles with wheels at full lock.

I'm currently running 295/70R17 with 1.5" spacers and they rubbed violently before the BMC. I just used a side grinder in the driveway and chopped some off and no more rub.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: BMC   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah the BMC is easy easy to do...took me about 5 minutes each side. angle grinder with a cutting wheel. draw a line with a marker and cut it off..not worried about welding it shut at this point..found some black pain and painted all the exposed metal and then drove to URE...that easy!!
Back to top Go down

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:18 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Yeah the BMC is easy easy to do...took me about 5 minutes each side. angle grinder with a cutting wheel. draw a line with a marker and cut it off..not worried about welding it shut at this point..found some black pain and painted all the exposed metal and then drove to URE...that easy!!

That is the most important step. I am really wanting to get back out there. We need some snow so I have an excuse to run Richland or Hurricane Creek road.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: snow run   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 3:43 pm

yeah i would love to see some snow...love to do a snow run this year...we neeed to make sure our western Carolina members keep us in the loop with the weather...
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 pm

I am definitely down for some snow fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Brian wrote:
We need some snow so I have an excuse to run Richland or Hurricane Creek road.

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
yeah i would love to see some snow...love to do a snow run this year...we neeed to make sure our western Carolina members keep us in the loop with the weather...

totald wrote:
I am definitely down for some snow fun Very Happy

Thats what I've been waiting on....I think we've reached a concensus!
Back to top Go down
ncorn38
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
ncorn38

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 10:50 pm

285/70/17 BFG AT T/A's, no rubbing. 3inch suspension Rough Country stock wheels.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Aaron-Corn/100000272912625
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Brian wrote:

Brian, can you give me an update on you experience at this point? Are you experiencing any rubbing? Can you provide some detailed pictures of the tires and the truck? Are you happy with the noise? Gas milage? Wear on the tires? Ride of the truck?

PS dont forget the pictures Wink
Back to top Go down

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

No problem. I have had them on for 7500 miles now. I have no complaints. No rubbing.

I am getting about 1 mpg less than what I was with my stock set-up. However after I put the tires on, but before I put my Budbuilt skids on it was around 0.5 mpg less. So I am attributing about half of the 1 mpg to the tires. I do correct my mileage for the change in diameter of the tire.

They are noisier than the BFG ATs, but I imagine any MT would be. This is my first set of MT tires. The ride feels like a stock ride. At very low speeds you can feel the treads, kind of like driving on cobble stones. This is only at 0-15 mph though.

From a trail standpoint these things rock! I have never really felt a loss of traction that hindered me from doing something. (EDIT: Last trip to Richland Road it was very wet/muddy and my FJ didn't make it up the hill. Sad However noone else could either. I will get my revenge this weekend!) I have been with others whose tires would spin and lose traction and mine, taking the same line, bit and went through.

Here is a link to my Lift/Tire thread in the blueroom. It has several pictures and more details. I can give you more pictures if you like but that will have to wait until I get home. Work doesn't let me access the photobucket/image hosting sites. (I am amazed this one isn't blocked)

Lift/Tire Thread

If you are looking for something with a little bit more road manners, but in this same size, Toyo has 2 tires that might be an option. Both are a little heavier than the KM2, but have less aggressive tread patterns.

Their open country MT comes in the 255/85/16 size and measures to a nice 33.5 diameter. They have better siping for wet road traction.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-mt-mud-terrain-tires

They also have their m-55 tire. It is more of a commercial tire, but several people are running them on their vehicles. Every one says they are tough and can take a beating. They do not have a very aggressive looking profile though due to the intended commercial use. They are also measuring at 33.5".

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m-55-commercial-truck-tires

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 am

My price for the 5 tires, mounted and balanced, and lifetime rotation/balancing was only $1250.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Body Mount Chop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body Mount Chop   Body Mount Chop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Body Mount Chop
Page 1 of 1