NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Empty
PostSubject: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 pm

Simply unplug the plug just behind the left turn signal under the hood. I left mine butted together to help keep out the elements. Now I decide what lights are on not the FJC.

I can link to pics on the blue forum if needed.
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks Paul. Done! That was easy, even with my fat nubby fingered hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Yeah I figured it would be hard as well! I actually reached right in and pulled it apart right away. It took like 5 seconds total!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Yup, I did this a few months ago. I figured I paid all this money for better headlights, no way did I want to be wasting them in daylight!! lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 11:06 pm

That's exactly why I did it and for some reason I think the FJ just looks goofy with just the lights on and not any others.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I can't seem to get mine apart...do I need to squeeze something? My stubbies are having trouble...
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Yeah, its basically a wire harness so you have to squeeze one of the sides. Heres the writeup I found in the Blue Room. Its a bit of a pain but definitely do-able. I wrapped (the best I could) electrical tape around each side after disconnecting it.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/40854-daytime-running-lights-drl-disconnect.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Yeah there is a clip on one side to keep it together. Put your left hip against the bumper then reach in with your left hand and use your thumb to hit the tab while pulling apart... While patting your head with you right hand and whistling dixie. It will come right apart.

Last edited by paulwardinc on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Most of that actually will work.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:24 pm

OUCH...got it.

thanks
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Score! cheers
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm

I tried doing this but when I disconnect the plug the DRL's go off but my bumper mounted Hella 500's come on. I have no idea why this happens but I know it has something to do with the fact that the Hella's are wired in to the high beams. The hella"s are not independently switched.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 am

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
I tried doing this but when I disconnect the plug the DRL's go off but my bumper mounted Hella 500's come on. I have no idea why this happens but I know it has something to do with the fact that the Hella's are wired in to the high beams. The hella"s are not independently switched.

Did you get this resolved? Are you running the Hella wiring harness or the OE harness?
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Running the Hella harness and ran the switch line off the high beams. This way when I flip on the HB's the Hellas come on as well. This has saved me from taking out several deer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:46 pm

I think I'm going to completely rewire my PIAAs so that they are away from the headlights all together! Especially since I'll be doing the HID conversion on the PIAAs soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)   No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No more DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)
Page 1 of 1