NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quick question about PIAA 520s

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
butlerbeachbuggy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
butlerbeachbuggy

Quick question about PIAA 520s Empty
PostSubject: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:14 am

I've been looking into getting these for my vehicle and was wondering --- if installed would these be on the same light system as my headlights? Would these be okay to have on while driving around at night?

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/379-07-12-Toyota-Fj-Cruiser-520-Driving-Lamp-Vsk.aspx

And if no, then are there any similar products that would fit that criteria? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:54 am

I have these installed and I like them. They are good "entry level" aux lighting. As far as running them at night on the road, what I foumd out, and this is by no means legal advice, but I was told if they are angled low enough, then there is usually not a problem. I have been running them for 3 years and have had no legal issues. Where you would run into problems is if they are angled to high or, are roof mounted lights. At bumper height or below you should be ok, again with proper aiming. They ale provide a good bit of light, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
butlerbeachbuggy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
butlerbeachbuggy

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 2:03 am

Okay great thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind as I look further into it. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 10:44 am

I dont think you can drive around with them on. I just added some 6" Westins that are a "Driving Light" as well and while they shoot WAY out like they are supposed to they tend to do so in all directions usually. They seem to spread like a cone, so they dont exactly cut off well. That is why they usually get wired to the OEM high beams. I suppose if you aimed them low enough you could run them all the time, but them they pretty much just spot right into 2 little spots on the road.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 am

Mine actually spread a pattern like they are mounter under the lights. They pass inspection here in NC and I have informally spoke with LEO about it. The understanding is if aimed properly, they function the same as the new Mustang grill mounted driving lights, which, from the factory, can be run in conjunction with low beams. I have not had a problem and even had them wired into the low beam based on the aim the installed set them at (meaning I can turn them on optionally when running low beams).
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:42 pm

if im not mistaken and i very well may be so dont use this as truth...If a light is mounted above the headlights it cannot be run on the streets.  If they are mounted below they may be run.. there is a grey area there having them mounted on top of the bumper as most will sit pretty even with the headlights...use your best judgement.  i run a 20" led mounted on my custom bumper and angled it a little down.  98% of the cars coming at me dont flash me however there is the occasional ricer that sits so low that it hits them square in the eyes..personally they deserve it...lol
Back to top Go down
Droop07FJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Droop07FJ

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 12:12 am

Legally, no you can not run those lights all the time in NC. I don't have my books in front of me, but basically NC state law says that any light that is out side of the body work, and not from the factory is considered auxiliary lighting. And auxiliary lighting is not permitted for road use. Greensboro has a City Ordinance that states any auxiliary lighting must be pointed upwards, perpendicular to the road way.

That being said, you will most likely never get pulled over for them unless they are pointed in a manner that shines into on coming traffic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about PIAA 520s   Quick question about PIAA 520s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick question about PIAA 520s
Page 1 of 1