NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED

Go down 
+4
bigdogdewey2
bluejack13
cjcradier
Scottydog
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Empty
PostSubject: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 pm

DIFFICULTY RATING:
Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED WrenchIconBigMirror Light Conversion to Amber LED WrenchIconBigMirror Light Conversion to Amber LED WrenchIconBig

Neither the author of this article nor NCFJ Cruisers administration are responsible for any injury or damage you incur. This is a how to do thread and persons assume all liabilities upon doing this work. Please proceed with caution!

Here's my write up for the conversion for the mirror marker lights to amber LEDs. Let me know if you have any questions or I missed something.

Level of Difficulty: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Tools You Need:
Phillips Screwdrivers
Patience
Dremel Tool (Cutoff Wheel(s) and Sanding Barrel
Needle nose Pliers
Patience
Liquid Electrical Tape
Silicone

http://www.negativecambertuning.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=lr9oW80qs5g%3d&tabid=633

Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED 390850_10150512893717715_729492714_11516577_1737454457_n

Last edited by paulwardinc on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:56 pm

I can't view it for some reason...
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Nor I.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah I tried to host with Google Docs... I guess that was a mistake... Let me figure out where to host and I'll get the original thread updated... Sorry!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 pm

How about now?
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 am

Reading it now, looks to be a high caliber (thorough) write-up!
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 1:33 am

Hey, I noticed the light you listed had a color of "warm white." Is that what you went with? Curious as they don't necessarily look white.

Another random question - what color are the OEM lights? I bought my FJ used and the mirror lights are white. From your pictures on FB, your original lights looked a different color (or maybe it was just the photo).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 am

Hey mine were white like yours to begin with... We're using the orange or amber lights from oznium.com. Here's a picture of me truck with the stock light on the left (in the picture) and the amber oznium on the right (in the picture).

Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED 300972_10150512858987715_729492714_11516318_2054055428_n
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Great write-up. Dumb question on my part. Is it not possible to simply change the existing white bulb to an amber bulb and be done with it? I understand it may not be nearly as bright, but won't it still be amber?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Scottydog wrote:
Great write-up. Dumb question on my part. Is it not possible to simply change the existing white bulb to an amber bulb and be done with it? I understand it may not be nearly as bright, but won't it still be amber?

I don't think that's a dumb question... I'd say give it a shot and pull out the diffuser while you're there. Bulbs like that are cheap ($1-2 each) so try it and take a picture.

With me all the work it took getting to that bulb and I wanted to make a *difference* and make sure people knew I had done something. LOL
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:43 pm

What is and where is the diffuser?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: great idea   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:48 pm

so can i ask why the use of the flood...instead of the spot?? jsut curious...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am

The flood is going to be a more even distribution of light where the spot will be pointed or limited only straight out... You could use them but you *may* not get the same look as Scott F., Rolando and I.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 am

Scottydog wrote:
What is and where is the diffuser?

Shown at the bottom of my write-up on page 5. It's piece of blue tinted plastic and it's against the outside lens inside the light housing. It really hinders the light coming out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:55 am

I'm going to be replacing this version of the write-up today with an updated version and I will take into consideration everyone's questions when changing it... Thanks for the feed back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 pm

This has been updated and I'm going to post the link on the Facebook page as well as the Blue Room.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Great job on the write up Paul!! Sorry I havent been able to get to these questions... Ive been crazy busy lately and Im trying to play catchup. Great pics and a phenomenal writeup.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks buddy! I miss you on the CB! lol!

Hopefully we'll be coming up at the first of December! We'll give you the details as soon as they're confirmed!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: yeah my mind has been made up   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 pm

i am sooo going to do this mod...thanks so much for the fantastic write up Nicole's Husband. Very thorough and easy to follow...i think though i am going to go with white instead of amber...stay with the same color...

again great write up Nicole's Husband
Back to top Go down
Chikwaters
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Awesome write-up! This one is my next project for sure. cheers
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:21 pm

WOW!!! GREAT write up!!! Looks like we have ourselves a tech writer!!! Smile

Again, great job and THANKS!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
i am sooo going to do this mod...thanks so much for the fantastic write up Nicole's Husband. Very thorough and easy to follow...i think though i am going to go with white instead of amber...stay with the same color...

again great write up Nicole's Husband
You should go green! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:41 pm

David B wrote:
WOW!!! GREAT write up!!! Looks like we have ourselves a tech writer!!! Smile

Again, great job and THANKS!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Wow more like a tech illustrator...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: green hhmmmm?   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:47 am

i wonder how that would look...green...probably a bit too bright green...but worth a look...we'll see
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
i wonder how that would look...green...probably a bit too bright green...but worth a look...we'll see

It would cost you about $40 to find out... I'm sure you'll find something to do with the lights if they don't work there!

The more I think about it I don't think it would look good! Go with the amber... at night (when they are on) they *perfectly match* the color and brightness of the front marker lights!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED   Mirror Light Conversion to Amber LED Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next