Share | 

Taking doors off, side mirror input?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Now that I'm out of "bogging" and running through the swamp, I wanted to pull my doors off for these cool mountain trails... however I just read the state law that...

20‑126 (b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate upon the highways of this State any vehicle manufactured, assembled or first sold on or after January 1, 1966 and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with at least one outside mirror mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle. Mirrors herein required shall be of a type approved by the Commissioner.

Even though this summer Ive seen plenty of new, shinny, mall crawling, Wranglers with their doors off and no mirrors! so how enforced is this law anyways?

Regardless, I still want to put something on the driver side that isn't permanent but still is big enough its useful, I cant see out the back window as it is. I think I remeber seeing Cliff do something with the A-pillar Handles, but cant find it now...

Thanx guys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Safety inspection requires you to have either a side mirror or a center mounted mirror...u do not have to have both...one or the other...your good with the center rear view mirror...not to mention very unlikely that you will be pulled for it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I was under the impression you had to have a side mirror (I.E. Drivers Side) and another mirror either rear view or passenger side
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Here a little general statue

Originally Posted by ncga.state.nc.us

§ 20‑126. Mirrors.

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on the streets or highways of
this State unless equipped with an inside rearview mirror of a type
approved by the Commissioner, which provides the driver with a clear,
undistorted, and reasonably unobstructed view of the highway to the rear
of such vehicle; provided, a vehicle so constructed or loaded as to
make such inside rearview mirror ineffective may be operated if equipped
with a mirror of a type to be approved by the Commissioner located so
as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of such
vehicle. A violation of this subsection shall not constitute negligence
per se in civil actions. Farm tractors, self‑propelled implements of
husbandry and construction equipment and all self‑propelled vehicles not
subject to registration under this Chapter are exempt from the
provisions of this section. Provided that pickup trucks equipped with an
outside rearview mirror approved by the Commissioner shall be exempt
from the inside rearview mirror provision of this section. Any inside
mirror installed in any motor vehicle by its manufacturer shall be
deemed to comply with the provisions of this subsection.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate upon the highways of
this State any vehicle manufactured, assembled or first sold on or after
January 1, 1966 and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with at least one outside mirror mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle. Mirrors herein required shall be of a type approved by the Commissioner.

(c) No person shall operate a motorcycle upon the streets or highways of
this State unless such motorcycle is equipped with a rearview mirror so
mounted as to provide the operator with a clear, undistorted and
unobstructed view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motorcycle. No
motorcycle shall be registered in this State after January 1, 1968,
unless such motorcycle is equipped with a rearview mirror as described
in this section. Violation of the provisions of this subsection shall
not be considered negligence per se or contributory negligence per se in
any civil action. (1937, c. 407, s. 89; 1965, c. 368; 1967, c. 282, s.
1; c. 674, s. 2; c. 1139; 2002‑159, ss. 22(a), 22(b).)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:48 pm

well i stand corrected...but you know what ...if the jeeps can do it then so can the FJs....pow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Dang - I guess I never hit 'Send.' Whoops...

I don't have any input on the legal aspect - but - I would think you could fairly easily attach a temporary side mirror mounting point to your driver's side A pillar. Remove the handle on the inside, then the internal A pillar cover, now the external A pillar cover. The external is held on by a small nut you'll have to reach for from the inside, and then four (I think) clips on the outside. The clips are easy to break. Maybe put some mounting points on the external cover. Worse case you replace the external cover in you don't like your work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Watch this from about the 5:00 mark, and see why it would be nice to keep the doors on Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:03 pm

MadToy wrote:
Watch this from about the 5:00 mark, and see why it would be nice to keep the doors on Smile

Oh man is he every lucky. That Jeep could easily have flopped over on him.

Was his seatbelt not on?

Maybe a pair of MetalTech tube doors would be nice to let the air in a FJ. Smile
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
MadToy wrote:

Oh man is he every lucky. That Jeep could easily have flopped over on him.

Was his seatbelt not on?

Maybe a pair of MetalTech tube doors would be nice to let the air in a FJ. Smile

No seat belt - which is really the culprit. But I've seen many videos of guys without doors that when it starts to roll, their first instinct is to put their leg out the door....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:05 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
well i stand corrected...but you know what ...if the jeeps can do it then so can the FJs....pow!
Da*n Straight!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:35 pm

what a stupie...

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: mirrors    Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:46 pm

You can buy temporary towing mirros that easily moun and remove in a matter of minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:00 pm

When I used to ride sport bikes some of the guys I rode with took their mirrors off. They would attach small 2" mirrors with velcro, stick putty, etc. They weren't really functional, but enough to keep it legal.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm

MadToy wrote:

OMG what a blithering idiot...i mean seriously what kind of a-hole does something like that...that is one seriously lucky dude...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

I was thinking along the lines of SEO's idea, but I'd just remove the inner A-pillar handle, make a simple bracket there and mount the A-pillar handle back on, effectively sandwiching your mirror bracket into place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Speedrye wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of SEO's idea, but I'd just remove the inner A-pillar handle, make a simple bracket there and mount the A-pillar handle back on, effectively sandwiching your mirror bracket into place.

That sounds like a good, no drill solution.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm

boy taking the doors off is gonna be NO FUN...heavy as hell...better have two people with you...not like jeep doors when you take them off just drop in the pin and its over...lining FJ doors back up when u put them back on is gonna be a real biscuit eater...good luck with it..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am

What about a mirror on the front corner panel, doesnt Japanese fj have them already
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: mirrors    Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 am

That would be the best solution I guess. I bet it is hard to find that part. It is already hard enough to find parts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Yeah like i said, looking for Cliffs mod that did that. the Jap mirrors are crap! i worked on a few Jags and other imports that had them, you cant really see anything other than whats right next to your door

Laughing what idiot doesn't were a belt when the doors are off! you can tell right off hes a novice in that video anyways, now that his but hurts he can keep his jeep at the mall!

Doors are easy to line up as long as fenders are on, and you can mark it before you pull the doors! Wink And you don't really need two people if you have a good transition jack under it.

The metaltechs are cool but I'm not looking at leaving them off for long, even over night! Plus they're out of the price range for an Unemployed Mechanic Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 pm

I re did my mirror mounts a couple of months age. I had them sandwiched between the handles on the a pillar but once I made the rain covers no joy on sealing the hatch. So I re did them and moved them a bit lower and use the hinges for my mirror foot peg mount. I got the mirrors at napa and the offer far greater visibility than even the stock ones. Ill send you a pic Bryan pm your email.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:24 pm

what I had before. simple .25 bar with a bend in it.
[img][/img]

I am trying to find pics of my new set up....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm

I will have to pull my doors off and mount them so I can get updated pics. OHH darn! But here is a Pic of my Pass. side.
[img][/img]

The bolt to the lower bolt hole on the top hinge and the top hole on the bottom hinge. Also they bolt to the door jamb it self to keep the mirrior from pushing in while driving. Either set up works perfectly and make the FJ feel so much better. Also the foot peg wil fold down and you can bolt it to the bottom hole on the bottom hinge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:59 pm

THATS IT, great work man! Thanks for posting the pix. think that's all I need to fab my own

Love the "foot peg" too, for that Easy Rider look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

any time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking doors off, side mirror input?    

Back to top Go down

Taking doors off, side mirror input?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1