NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!

Go down 
+6
ULTIMATEcruiser
Scottydog
MCRobertson
bigdogdewey2
j.dorton
SingleTrack
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Empty
PostSubject: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 pm

So I'm looking to purchase my first semi-auto "assault" rifle. I know everyone loves the AKs, the SKs and the ARs. I just can't swing $1000+ on a gun. I know virtually nothing about guns...sad. So help me out. What is the difference between .223 and .22LR ammo? I really like the Ruger 10/22 Tac and the Mossberg 715T. Both can be had for under $300 and shoot .22LR. Would those make a decent "doomsday" gun? I have a tactical 870 pump and a Walther ppk380. I just need to round off the collection.

Mossberg: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=360403003#PIC

Ruger: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=360797725
Back to top Go down
j.dorton
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
j.dorton

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 am

Huge difference  in .223  and .22 about 1500ft/second difference to  begin with. 
Center fire vs rim fire.

Go for the 10/22 between it and the mossberg.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 am

the RUGER 10/22 is an awesome little rifle...reliable robust over built and been out there for a very long time.  cant say much about the Mossberg..as i dont know...the difference between .22 lr and .223 is night and day ....22 will kill...small.....223 will kill big.  both will actually kill a deer however you gonna chase a deer thats been shot with the .22 further and longer unless its just a great shot...(better be close) the .223 will take down a deer from further away and a good shot will drip it pretty quick.  .223 is basically what the US military uses in their M-16s and M-4s.  the military equivilant is the 5.56mm...for all intents and purposes the same thing.  .22lr is relatively quiet...compared to the .223...
Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Images10
a box of .22lr is relatively cheap and the .223 is not...in my opinion...lol...
The RUGER 10/22 is a very accurate rifle with the .22lr...75yrds is a good shot with it and pretty accurate at that...the .223 is pretty darn accurate too..but out to a lot longer range.  500yds if your a good shooter you can expect12" groups all day long..ive got 2 of the 10/22...and wont trade them or sell them ever...i also wouldnt get rid of my AR...or any of my guns....of course i dont really have any guns and that is what you have just read and should take it to heart...
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:20 am

Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat for a 22 rifle and they have about anything under the sun to customize it as yours. However if you wanted to go with a .223/556 platform Ruger also makes a Mini 14 that is a great rifle also, but does not bring the 1000 dollar price tag. With that being said it is about 600 dollars depending on where you look. My opinion is that a .22 is probably to small for defense with single shots but a benefit to the .22 is you can dump mags and have virtually no recoil which leads to very fast and accurate shot placement on follow up shots. S&W makes a M&P 15-22 which is a 22 on a AR platform which gives you the 25 round mags on a rifle and you have the ar plarform. I think you can also get high capacity mags for the 10/22......30 rounders I believe.

A great place to look online in Budsgunshop.com. They typically have good prices across the board.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:21 am

M&P 15-22 has been known to be ammo picky...mine likes CCI Mini Mags the best. Also .22 ammo is much cheaper although it is hard to find now but it will come back at some point.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 8:13 am

I am of the opinion that if you are gonna buy an AR platform that you buy a .223./5.56. If you buy an AR IN .22LR amd happen shoot an AR in .223/5.56 you will feel inadequate...lol..the mini 14 is an amazing rifle also for sure..(think The A Team tv show).  Zombies die a second time only when they receive head trauma.  Both calibers will induce plenty of head trauma...
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 am

Great info fellas!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 am

I totally agree with Mike...very smart man BTW...
This is the Ruger .22LR we bought a few years ago
Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! 10-22BEFORE1_zps332b79c3

This is that same Ruger after the mod bug hit us
Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! 10-22AFTER1b_zpsd6cff74a
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:22 am

Nice!!
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 pm

I want one!  Need to stock up for my own protection and the next civil war.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 9:40 pm

definitely working on the build up...but i dont own any weapons...none in this house....
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 5:19 am

I agree with Mike on wanting a .223/556 in an AR platform but buying one in .22 allows ppl that want a AR platform but not the 1000 dollar tag that comes with them. The .22's are also great trainers for the .223/556 models without have to worry about the .50 to .70 cents a round issue that today has.

I would probably determine the amount of money that you want to spend and then go from there...Realistically that is the major starting point then going from there with your options.
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 am

I really like the Ruger 10/22 tactical and think that I will go that route. From what I've read the quality of the Ruger is superior to the Mossberg.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 am

I would def agree. The Ruger 10/22 in my opinion is the best .22 for the money on the market. And has been around for many years to work any bugs out. Also I have dealt with Ruger's "Customer Service" and it is the best I have ever dealt with. True "Customer Service."
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 8:11 am

They also have mags for the 10/22 (25 rounders) that are called bx-25 I think which makes it a bit more fun.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 pm

MCRobertson wrote:
I agree with Mike on wanting a .223/556 in an AR platform but buying one in .22 allows ppl that want a AR platform but not the 1000 dollar tag that comes with them. The .22's are also great trainers for the .223/556 models without have to worry about the .50 to .70 cents a round issue that today has.

I would probably determine the amount of money that you want to spend and then go from there...Realistically that is the major starting point then going from there with your options.
i dont disagree with your statement at all...the 10/22 tactical is a great trainer and fun as all get out to shoot.  cheap to shoot.  $1000 is a lot to spend on a rifle i agree.  If you can do it i would say buy the .223 if not go for the RUGER...they have been around for a very very long time and the design has yet to change since the day it first came out.  The only difference now is you can build the mess out of them.  i would just keep in mind that you will need to clean it every time you shoot.  I have found that the one that i DONT HAVE gets pretty messy after say 100 rounds.  May not be the case for others that actually have them...cause i dont have any guns...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 pm

another rifle to possibly look at is the HI-POINT TS Carbine...available in 9mm, 40 and 45....none are great for "long" range shooting but they are seriously fun to shoot.  Being that they are in pistol caliber rounds are easy to get, cheap enough.  Seriously i love them they are a helluva fun rifle to shoot.  and very accurate for what they are...cheap as all get out and you can buy them with all kinds of accessories from the factory...

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/default.html
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 5:50 am

I completely forgot about the Hi Point. I personally don't like the ergonomics of the gun but I do have a friend that has one. I know he has put thousands of rounds through it without any problems and very few cleanings. If you don't mind a little bit of a bulky gun that would be a fun option!

Mike, How friendly is URE on firearms that you don't have?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 7:20 pm

as far as what??just carrying? isnt national forest the same as national park?? if so there is no law against it...carrying of a weapon in National Forest is legal...

You know the thing about caryying a weapon anywhere is JUST DONT TELL ANYBODY!! DONT DRAW ATTENTION TO YOURSELF...IM NOT SAYING CARRYING CONCEALED WHILE NOT HAVING A CCW IS A SMART THING..BUT SERIOUSLY JUST DONT LET ANYONE KNOW...i dont carry any weapons on me or in the  truck cuz i dont own any!!
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Understood. I don't carry one either....I was just curious about the laws in NC vs VA incase someone wanted to keep protection on them when they were traveling.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 am

If you end up going 22lr, start shopping around for ammo now.  CCI is pretty much universally accepted as the best and is great for break-in at the very least, but it is expensive.  223 is more expensive, but I can go down to any Walmart and pick some up right now.

URE is quite gun friendly, especially since they've had an outdoor range in the past and are finally reopening it soon.  It's being fully reworked with taller berms, better angles and a full time range officer.  Supposed to be $3 a day or $30 annually once opened.  Several grants are paying for the complete rework of the site.  NRA donated a decent portion as well, so it's good to see those dollars going to good use.

Ruger is now a local company.  They're opening a new manufacturing plant 10 miles north of me in Mayodan, NC.  Support local!

edit:  1000 posts!!  cheers
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

Speedrye wrote:
If you end up going 22lr, start shopping around for ammo now.  CCI is pretty much universally accepted as the best and is great for break-in at the very least, but it is expensive.  223 is more expensive, but I can go down to any Walmart and pick some up right now.

URE is quite gun friendly, especially since they've had an outdoor range in the past and are finally reopening it soon.  It's being fully reworked with taller berms, better angles and a full time range officer.  Supposed to be $3 a day or $30 annually once opened.  Several grants are paying for the complete rework of the site.  NRA donated a decent portion as well, so it's good to see those dollars going to good use.

Ruger is now a local company.  They're opening a new manufacturing plant 10 miles north of me in Mayodan, NC.  Support local!

edit:  1000 posts!!  cheers
A.) That is freakin AWESOME news that URE is going to open a shooting range back up!!!

B.) Congrats on the posts!
Back to top Go down
BattBoy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm

SingleTrack wrote:
So I'm looking to purchase my first semi-auto "assault" rifle. I know everyone loves the AKs, the SKs and the ARs. I just can't swing $1000+ on a gun. I know virtually nothing about guns...sad.
An SKS should not run $1000. Neither should a no frills AK or AR15. Consider a used AR15.

So help me out. What is the difference between .223 and .22LR ammo?
223 will kill medium sized game and humans. 22lr will kill small game and hurt humans. 22LR is far cheaper but can be harder to find.

I really like the Ruger 10/22 Tac and the Mossberg 715T. Both can be had for under $300 and shoot .22LR. Would those make a decent "doomsday" gun?
I think a 22LR would be ok for feeding yourself if you live around small game. Its better for training and fun than any other round. I would never rely on a 22 for protection from anything.

I have a tactical 870 pump and a Walther ppk380. I just need to round off the collection.
I have a Delton AR15 carbine that I keep for home defense and fun. I keep a CMMG 22LR conversion kit with it that allows you to shoot 22LR out of the AR15. Its accurate to atleast 50 yards per my testing yesterday. Hitting a 5" steel gong at 50y from kneeling position was too easy.

Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Hijacking this thread, because I don't wanna create a new, similar one Smile

So I am in the market for a 1911 .45.  I've been a huge fan of Springfield guns, and have shot the 1911 Range Officer before with much delight.  I've been leaning towards getting the loaded service model for awhile; however, I am also considering the seemingly more popular Sig Sauer Scorpion.  The Scorpion isn't too much more in cost and has a great reputation.  I've done a lot of googling on this, and the only responses people seem to have are biased opinions of their own guns.  If I'm gonna hear that, I at least want it to be from some local FJ bros!  So does anyone have any experience/recommendations?  I'm planning on going to the range and testing out the Sig if I feel it's legit to consider.  But at the same time, I know I enjoyed the Springfield when I've shot it in the past.  Thawts???

Here's the two guns at a local shop, with pretty average pricing.  I'll prolly still attempt to find mine at a gun show though:
Springfield loaded svc model - $850
Sig Sauer Scorpion - $950
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 1:43 am

I would say you couldn't go wrong with either. I love the scorpion and will own one at some point. However I use my firearms as tools and not show pieces. With that being said I would hate to mess up the finish on that Scorpion. My choice with Springfield would be the TRP, but it is a bit more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!   Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guns, guns, and guns. No this isn't a picture thread. I have questions!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next