NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Empty
PostSubject: Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.   Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

Here is my take on mounting an ARB 2000 on the OEM roof rack. I wasn`t jiggy with just 2 billet mounts especially for the price, so came up with an economical solution using 4 custom made brackets and exhaust clamps.
Here`s how it goes!Laughing

1 5/8 exhaust clamps and some Z shapes.

degrease the clamps, prep and paint.
Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74452d1367952484-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010555
  It`s raining so progress is slow in taking measurements and laying out the work. I had used a straight edge mocked up on the rack to get #1 and #4 custom bracket locations and will fill in #2 and #3, when I get going with this... so here`s a sneak peek!Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Lol

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74459d1367979450-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010557
 Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74460d1367979458-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010558

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74461d1367979467-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010559

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74462d1367979490-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010562
Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74463d1367979501-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010561
eyeballing the horizontal line was the best. the rig is on stock suspension so it`s nose down, when ever I get a chance to level the rig off then it would change the horizontal line, so I had to figure this in and wing it! Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. LolAwning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. LolAwning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Lolcan`t have it all kawkeye`d... Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Rofl

bracket #2 and #3 will be a bit different to follow the curve of the rack line. so they will be custom lengths to suit...
I have to install/mock up brackets #1 and #4 and string a line to find centers of the mounting bolts... also taking into consideration the vertical center line so there may be offset drilling on the brackets which is why you don`t see them drilled just yet...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It stopped raining, the sun came out and it turned out to be a very nice day!Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Clap
onward with the fabrication and install!Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Rocker

Continuing with fabricating the brackets to hold the ARB awning to the stock roof rack. The center 2 brackets have a different depth to them bc of the oem rack curvature. After I mocked up #4 and #1 mounts, I ran a string line to determine the height of the mounting holes for the awning extruded backing.
Once this was done I measured, drilled for any offsets, and did another mock up to check all the mounts to be sure they were all in line. Again using the string line allows me to check for linear alignment and any in and out off the string. The center 2 mounts needed to be shimmed so all the brackets are in the same plane.
When I was satisfied with the location points and brackets, I then cleaned the brackets, took the shine off the mill finish aluminum with scotch brite pad, then wiped with acetone and prepped for Clear coat. reason being is the clear coat will dry much faster than the 2 part black paint.
The weathermen are calling for rain again so I want to expedite the install.

After the brackets were all cured and ready to handle, I started in on mounting them to the OEM roof rack. I had previously left my marks on the rack tube itself.

To have the brackets in the correct upright ( vertical) position I used a 4ft level across the rack and dropping down with a 1ft carpenter square against the bracket mounting face. After that part was complete another check with the string line to verify all the holes are inline and correct.

In the pictures you see shrink wrap holding the slide in bolts in place previously marked out. I work alone and this facilitated the install.

picked up the awning, climbed up the ladder and placed the awning bolts into the custom brackets. Then using a bungee cord to hold tight to the brackets while I start the washers and nuts. Before the nuts were tightened all the way, I also checked for front to back dimensions keeping the front of the awning just inside my N-Fab lightbar. When I was satisfied, I tightened all the nuts. Afterwards checked the tightness of the U bolt clamps, Done!

The ARB awning comes with 6mmx20mm bolts and nylok nuts, no washers.
Since I am using 4 contact/mounting points I added another pair of bolts with nylok nuts and supplied washers for the install..

The roof rack measure 1 3/4, but the 1 3/4 exhaust clamps were to loose for my liking and the 1 5/8 exhaust clamps fit perfect.

so:
1- ARB 3111 2000 Awning
4- 1 5/8 Standard duty exhaust clamps
2 additional bolts with nyloks
8- washers.
4- custom 1" x 7/8 x 1" x 1/8 Z shape aluminum.

and a lot of lay-out, measurements, and time... Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. LolAwning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Cheers

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74523d1368053115-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010563
 Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74524d1368053219-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010566
Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74525d1368053265-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010568
 Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74526d1368053333-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010571
Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74527d1368053361-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010572
 Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74528d1368053612-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010574
Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74529d1368053623-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010575
 Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 74530d1368053631-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010573
Finally waited for a day where it wasn`t windy to deploy the new ARB Awning. Just wanted to check it out and make sure everything was ok. With rain in the forecast AGAIN Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Flame, this was just a quick set up...
So far I like it! Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. RockerAwning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Cheers

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. 75053d1368898392-what-did-you-do-your-fj-cruiser-today-p1010634
 This was built/installed at our last residence...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.   Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am

Awesome work...very well done...id love to have an awning but other things take precedence...
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.   Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Dang nice job!!!
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.   Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 am

I hear ya Pale! Those mounts look great!  Awning looks really good on there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.   Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awning mounted to OEM rack using simple parts.
Page 1 of 1