NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trip to URE this Saturday??

Go down 
+4
FonnieJr
David B
ULTIMATEcruiser
CarolinaCruiser15
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 5:45 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
Wow.....I drove out to URE earlier today and hit falls dam and wolf den and I have to say that in the year since I have been there it has changed. Guard rails everywhere and neither of those trails offer any challenge like they did for me previously. Maybe my experience level is just getting better.

Could be! That was my first time so there were a few challenges for me =)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
Wow.....I drove out to URE earlier today and hit falls dam and wolf den and I have to say that in the year since I have been there it has changed. Guard rails everywhere and neither of those trails offer any challenge like they did for me previously. Maybe my experience level is just getting better.

No, they completely leveled falls Damn......and grated most of the trails.

The only "challenges" to a rig on 33"s and sliders are Kodak and Daniel. The place has went down hill in the past few years IMO.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 8:59 pm

It was really a disappointment Larry.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:39 pm

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
Jami, I had a GREAT time and definitely would be willing to go back. I think a spotter could have helped me through those rocks towards the end of Wolfs Den and avoided that horrible smashing sound my under carriage made. Lol. But I do also need to look into a cheap (in price) suspension lift or spacers and some armor.

Any pics of the rocks?
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 pm

David B wrote:
CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
Jami, I had a GREAT time and definitely would be willing to go back. I think a spotter could have helped me through those rocks towards the end of Wolfs Den and avoided that horrible smashing sound my under carriage made. Lol. But I do also need to look into a cheap (in price) suspension lift or spacers and some armor.

Any pics of the rocks?

No, no pics. I think I just took a weird way around them. Not sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 am

Quote :

I have been doing a lot of research myself. I didn't want to ruin my nice ride and also I didn't want to break the bank, especially when I am also buying new tires. I finally made a decision and ordered today. I got Toytec rear coils and new Icon Signature series rear shocks and for the front I used a 3" spacer and am sticking with my stock Bilstein shocks. I feel like with this combination I am going to be able to retain much of my nice ride while at the same time giving me a nice 2-3" lift and very capable rear suspension. Total price including Forum discount and shipping $560.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:15 am

Brian7758 wrote:
Quote :

I have been doing a lot of research myself. I didn't want to ruin my nice ride and also I didn't want to break the bank, especially when I am also buying new tires. I finally made a decision and ordered today. I got Toytec rear coils and new Icon Signature series rear shocks and for the front I used a 3" spacer and am sticking with my stock Bilstein shocks. I feel like with this combination I am going to be able to retain much of my nice ride while at the same time giving me a nice 2-3" lift and very capable rear suspension. Total price including Forum discount and shipping $560.

Hmmm, nice. Definitely something to think about. I was looking at the website for 4 Wheel Parts on Glenwood Ave and they have a 3" complete suspension lift by Pro Comp for $530 and they also have a 3" kit by OME for $780. Those prices seem good but Im sure they get you on labor and junk. Tell me more about this "forum discount".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:33 am

Toytec offers a 5% discount to FJcrusierforums.com members. Its not a lot, but its something. Enter 112710 in the coupon code field. I assume you are a member, if not you should join. There is a wealth of information there. I was about to purchase the OME suspension, but i wasn't sure if I wanted to invest that much into it. The route I took I think will allow me to really get my feet wet and give me a platform to build off of it I decide to pursue off-roading more.

This is my actual order:

Quantity Name SKU Price Subtotal
1 Rear Icon Shocks (FJ & 03-09 4Run) 5-7510 $219.99 $219.99
1 BEST SELLER! 3" FJ Lift Kit w/spacers and rear ToyTec coils (Options: Black anodized spacers (+ $20.00)
Front lift: 3_inch_front_lift) FJ3-RCC $319.99 $319.99

SubTotal : $539.98
Coupon Discount: - $27.00
Shipping and Handling Fee : $47.75
Tax Total : $0.00
Total: $560.73
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:35 am

Oh I am being charged $275 for labor w/ alignment.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

Great, thanks Brian. This is all pretty foreign to me but the more info I have, the better off Ill be when Im ready to buy. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 pm

I bought my lift from Toytec which consists of Bilstein height adjustable front shocks and Toytec superflex rear springs. It gave me 2 inces of lift in the rear and 2-1/2 up front. For all the off roading I have done this setup has done well. I have had no issues on the trail.

The price of the shocks is $199.99 and the springs are $169.99.
A total of $369.98 and with the 5% forum discount I paid $351.48 plus shipping.
I did my own install and was really not the difficult. I did however take the front shock/spring assembly to a local tire shop where they could safely remove the springs from the stock shocks and install them on the new Bilstein's. That cost me all of $25 and saved me hours of aggravation trying to do that part myself.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Oh wow. That sounds like a great deal Jami. Thanks. How is your ride compared to stock?
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 pm

My FJ rides close to stock. The rear Toytec springs are a bit stiffer but nothing bad and the Bilstein 5100's are a bit tighter than the stock front shocks but makes for a great ride in my opinion. I will say though that my lift or any lift will alter the driving characteristics of any FJ. Before I got my alignment done my FJ felt very unstable on the highway. Getting the alignment done made the difference. Steering is still a bit quick and is something to get used to within a few weeks of the install. What I mean about the steering is it feels very responsive or touchy. On some older highways my FJ sort of wanders. It is kind like a feeling that the wind is blowing the vehicle around on the road. From my understanding it is due to the fact that caster can not be brought back into speck in the alignment settings. To remedy this I have read somewhere that setting camber on zero could help. Other than that a set of adjustable upper control arms will solve the issue completely. The adjustability of such UCA allows for caster to be set at factory specs. Hope that helps some.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Wow, ok great. Definitely some good information for me to think through. Like Ive said before, this is all very new territory for me so a lot of it doesnt makes sense, but I think Im learning bit by bit. lol. The good news is I dont plan on getting a lift IMMEDIATELY so I have some time to research and drive peoples trucks and kinda see what works for me. Thanks again for the info Jami.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Did you guys go today? Any pictures?
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Scottydog wrote:
Any pictures?

What he said!?!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 pm

I went a few weeks ago for the first time. My pics are kind of lame (I went by myself and only went on one trail). I was saying I need to look into an inexpensive lift because I bottomed out more than a few times. Super annoying when it's the easiest trail and everyone says how much EASIER its gotten. Ill see about adding a few pics I have.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Ok, here we go. The 3rd one is actually a video that may or may not work. Ive never posted video on here before so we'll see.

Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Photobucket-40483-1311033013427

Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Photobucket-3579-1311032945527

Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Th_photobucket-3895-1309620531806

Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Photobucket-40472-1311032981011

Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Photobucket-2118-1311032887276
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 pm

That is a nice lookin' ride you got there, but I'd have to agree, you need some lift up under ya! Nice pics as well and the link to the vid worked for me.

Work has been kickin my backside lately and is not letting up! Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to get back over that'a way for some wheelin, not workin'!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trip to URE this Saturday??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2