NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trip to URE this Saturday??

Go down 
+4
FonnieJr
David B
ULTIMATEcruiser
CarolinaCruiser15
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Trip to URE this Saturday?? Empty
PostSubject: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Anyone want to hit up URE this Saturday morning? Ive never been and sadly, am new to the 4x4 world so Im looking for someone to kinda show me the ropes. I dont have a lift so it would have to be a relatively mild (Im assuming) trail.

I realize this may sound horribly boring to many of you but if anyone is interested, let me know!! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 pm

I might be able to but I would only hit the trails I am most familiar with. Cant say for sure at the moment but I can on let you know by Friday. Anyone else interested?
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:40 pm

That works for me Jami. I trust your judgement as far as knowing a good place for me to start. Feel free to call or text when you know if you want.

704-842-2779
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
I might be able to but I would only hit the trails I am most familiar with. Cant say for sure at the moment but I can on let you know by Friday. Anyone else interested?

I cant make this weekend...but Jami, I saw your post on the FB page....I was thinking maybe first of Sept for a Greensboro meet? August is tight, I plan on going to Flushead's in Aug as well (you are in on that, correct?)

Rolando is going to Flushead's as well. If you do not have details, check with John Desmond.

As far as posting a group meet in Sept for GB, go ahead and start a post in the "Group Organized events" section.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 pm

I have been in the Great Smoky Mountains this week. I am not getting back until Friday, so I am not going to be in for this Saturday. However if you (you guys) want to go the following Saturday, I am in. I went for my first time a few weeks ago and I am dieing to go back.

I am an off-road novice myself.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Brian7758 wrote:
I have been in the Great Smoky Mountains this week. I am not getting back until Friday, so I am not going to be in for this Saturday. However if you (you guys) want to go the following Saturday, I am in. I went for my first time a few weeks ago and I am dieing to go back.

I am an off-road novice myself.

Id love to but Im going to be up in NJ for a few days seeing family. This is my first free weekend in a while so Im trying to take advantage. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

No problem. We will meet up another time. Enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 am

Rolando, I just don't think I am gonna be able to do this. I really want to and it is so hard to pass on a trail riding trip. I have been eager to get back to URE but every time I think I might be able to do it something gets in the way. I definitely want to wheel with you sometime soon. If you do go hit falls dam first. This trail will allow you to get your feet wet. Then if you still have the time check out wolfs den or run falls dam back the opposite direction. I want us to get a small group out to URE sometime before fall.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
Rolando, I just don't think I am gonna be able to do this. I really want to and it is so hard to pass on a trail riding trip. I have been eager to get back to URE but every time I think I might be able to do it something gets in the way. I definitely want to wheel with you sometime soon. If you do go hit falls dam first. This trail will allow you to get your feet wet. Then if you still have the time check out wolfs den or run falls dam back the opposite direction. I want us to get a small group out to URE sometime before fall.

No worries, I understand. For a first timer, do you think its ok/safe for me to hit up Falls Dam/Wolf's Den by myself? And also, is it pretty easy to navigate around or am I going to get lost in one of NC's massive state parks? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Wolf's Den and Falls Dam are simple enough. I went with my brother (also a newbie) and neither had any trouble or needed any spotting. You will be fine by yourself. My FJ was stock and did just fine on both of those trails. There is one incline on Dickey Bell where we spotted for each other. This was probably more from it being new to us than necessity. You could take the first part of that trail too without any worries. If you have concerns turn off on Green Gap Road (#6584).

Its easy enough to navigate through. I used this map I pulled off the internet. Worked fine for me.

http://home.windstream.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif

This video was taken on either Falls Dam or the Wolfs Den. Its representative of the easy trails.

Back to top Go down
FonnieJr
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:52 pm

I went through the hardest trail @ URE. Scared the beejeezus out of me, but the FJ was very capable. I even had one moment where i teeter-tottered on my front left and back right wheel. I only used 4Lo twice.

You should have no problem. But a good spotter is always a plus.

Do you know what time you're going tomorrow? I would suggest going early as possible, it was hot and dusty when i went. It'll probably still be dusty, but at least you can avoid some of the heat by going earlier in the day.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Great,thanks Jami. Ill definitely print out that map and bring it with. Those trails seem pretty simple enough.

Fonnie, Ill probably be leaving Raleigh around 8am, which I think should put me there around 9am.
Back to top Go down
FonnieJr
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Hmm... so my friend I was helping move to charlotte ended up getting 3 other guys to help him, and he doesn't have to move until tuesday.

I'll see if the girlfriend wants to go.... I just may end up going with you buddy!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Nice man!!! Keep me posted! Ill be flying solo cause the girlfriends parent will be getting in tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
FonnieJr
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 4:07 pm

She gets off work at 9pm, and i get off work around 10-10:30, ill let you know my plans around then.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 4:23 pm

I wish you guys could run this on sunday... I am wheeling some harder stuff in Mountain City in the buggy saturday but could definately make it out on sunday or monday.
Back to top Go down
FonnieJr
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Sunday would be better for me, that way i don't have to beg the GF. Can you go sunday CarolinaCruiser15?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 4:47 pm

I am fortunate enough to not have to work during the Summer. So if anyone else wants to head out during the week, I am game. All I need is a day or two notice.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:37 pm

So Rolando, what do you think of URE? You mentioned a lift over on FB. I will say that I have had my lift for over 2 years and had it the first time I went into URE and never bottomed out. However, I have only been on Falls Dam and Wolfs Den. I am anxious to get a small group of us guys here out to URE sometime in the next couple months. Would you be willing to go back?
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 am

Jami, I had a GREAT time and definitely would be willing to go back. I think a spotter could have helped me through those rocks towards the end of Wolfs Den and avoided that horrible smashing sound my under carriage made. Lol. But I do also need to look into a cheap (in price) suspension lift or spacers and some armor.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 pm

you wont hurt anything smashing the undersid eof your truck... the factory skids will save anything important
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 pm

crogers6569 wrote:
you wont hurt anything smashing the undersid eof your truck... the factory skids will save anything important

Hope so.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm

trust me...my underside has hit everything there is to hit at URE... truck still functions.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Nice. The rock smash had me worried but I checked after and everything looked ok.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Wow.....I drove out to URE earlier today and hit falls dam and wolf den and I have to say that in the year since I have been there it has changed. Guard rails everywhere and neither of those trails offer any challenge like they did for me previously. Maybe my experience level is just getting better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip to URE this Saturday??   Trip to URE this Saturday?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trip to URE this Saturday??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next