NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"

Go down 
+5
bigdogdewey2
Southeast Overland
Crazy Hube
85runner
MadToy
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Empty
PostSubject: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Well - I wanted to like these STT's really bad, and tried to get over some of the things I disliked about them. But I finally realized that after every off road trip, they seemed to go out of balance. I get headaches from the shaking.

So back to Discount Tire I went. Surprised to learn that they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so I get a full credit for the Coopers cheers

Putting that credit toward the BFG KM2's in the 255/85/16 size. Yep. Going with Brian's size on this one. Seems everything I've researched says the skinny tire is better for all off road conditions except deep mud and snow. I hate mud, and snow..... well, I don't foresee much snow driving.....
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 pm

That was quick.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Yes. And I'll save a fortune on Advil!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Too funny. I wonder if in 5 years you will come back and add "pre-quels" to your threads.

I will buy my next set of tires from Discount tire. They seem to have good customer service and policies. I like my KM2s. They're not quiet, but not horrible either I suppose. I really don't have much to compare them to. I have thought about adding spacers to widen the footprint a hair, but that is probably more asthetics than anything.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:34 pm

My only concern is that with my 8" rim, the chance of damage is going to be higher, since I won't have as much tire bulge to protect the rim. They're already dinged up a bit anyway, so not worried too much about looks - just functional damage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah mine are pretty dinged up. I doubt the 8 would make that much difference over the 7.5, but I guess a quarter of an inch is a quarter of an inch. Just be thankful you have your blinging chrome wheels, they dont show the marks as much as my black ones do.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Do you save any money going with the narrower tire? I think I have decided to get the KM2's myself when I get new tires
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:16 pm

When I bought mine they were cheaper than the 285/75s. Probably a little more savings in the mpg.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

They're slightly cheaper, but should get better mpg's with less tread width and less weight. And if you read this article, you may realize they would improve your traction in the rocks. Just wouldn't be as good in deep mud.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm happy with my KM2s. I have several significant side wall cuts with 50% tread life left. One cut has sent that tire to a permanent spare. I have been wheeling a bunch in the rocks so some cuts are expected. I'll be sticking with the KM2s when I go up to 35's probably sometime next year.

My KM2s do produce the most noise on my FJC - more than the roof rack and RTT - but the amount of noise from the tires is totally bearable and they have held their balance really well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 pm

this is why i love my KM2s...285/75 17...my tires are narrower than the traditional 285/70 17...dont know how that is but its the truth...but they are just slightly taller than the 285/70 17...i love my tires!!
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Come ride in my truck with the Mud Rovers if you want to hear loud...but i love it personally..much quieter than my super swampers even thou im about to go back to the TSL Radials...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm hoping the skinnier 255 won't produce as much noise as the 285. But as long as they stay in balance, and hold up in the rocks, I can deal with noise. I also have the hazard insurance, so if they do get cut, I just get it replaced Smile
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Nice, you are indeed "The" Tire Man! Glad to hear Discount Tire is supporting your habit so well! Very Happy Cant wait to hear your first review of your new shoes...when are you headed out next?
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: Have seen the light bfg km2s   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Oh yeah you will get them rebalanced free every rotation at dt. I am running the 2558017s km2s and they are excellent. I have about 5/8ths left and over 20 k on them. They still ride great. I am running load range e and running them with aprox 40psi. They have worn perfect. I have had a few rim scrapes, but to be expected when having any fun at all. I run them at 15lbs on the trail and they wrap around any rocks, and the fj feels like a caddy. Oh yeah I rotate every 2,500 to keep them well worn with the 5 tire rotation. You will love these tires.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Mine have kept their balance really well. No complaint at all. It really is a win-win if you don't need the look of a 285 wide tire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Skinny tires are where it is at. This is what I am working towards.

Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 pm

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Nice, you are indeed "The" Tire Man! Glad to hear Discount Tire is supporting your habit so well! Very Happy Cant wait to hear your first review of your new shoes...when are you headed out next?

Going camping this weekend - although the campsite is pretty close to The Flats, which just happens to be having an open ride this weekend Smile Might see if I can sneak over there even if it's only for an hour or two. They have a pretty fun hill climb/playground area.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
Oh yeah you will get them rebalanced free every rotation at dt. I am running the 2558017s km2s and they are excellent. I have about 5/8ths left and over 20 k on them. They still ride great. I am running load range e and running them with aprox 40psi. They have worn perfect. I have had a few rim scrapes, but to be expected when having any fun at all. I run them at 15lbs on the trail and they wrap around any rocks, and the fj feels like a caddy. Oh yeah I rotate every 2,500 to keep them well worn with the 5 tire rotation. You will love these tires.

I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a fifth tire also.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Brian wrote:
Skinny tires are where it is at. This is what I am working towards.

Now you've lost your mind! affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Man I really want to go to the flats on an open weekend. I am getting the FJ it's 15000 mile service. Mad
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Wow they are over 30 bucks cheaper a tire. I dont know how the narrow tire would look on the 4runner though
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Casey that 4RNR would look fine with the skinnys...college chicks dig skinnies.!!!

Nick..i would get that 5th tire if i was you...at the very least find a used one...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 pm

4running wrote:
Wow they are over 30 bucks cheaper a tire. I dont know how the narrow tire would look on the 4runner though

My fat FJ can pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Casey that 4RNR would look fine with the skinnys...college chicks dig skinnies.!!!

Nick..i would get that 5th tire if i was you...at the very least find a used one...

lol you've convinced me

Brian wrote:
4running wrote:

My fat FJ can pull it off.

Truth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"   Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Done with the Coopers!! The sequel to "Done with the Duratracs!!"
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next