Share | 

Rear Axle lower link front mount

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm

While I was installing my new skid plates I noticed that I was beating up my rear axle lower link front mounts. They are not very sturdy only about 1/8" thick. I made a new skid for both of these mounts. I have not installed yet, letting the paint dry. I made these from 1/4" steel plate for the front where the rocks hit & 3/16" steel for the sides, going to bolt them on to the existing holes that don't seem to serve any purpose. I made a filler for the oval hole & will be using grade 8 bolts.

More pics to come when I get them installed tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Very handy work...make me a set?

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:50 pm

yeah what he said. looks nice.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 am

These came out OK, they will serve their intended purpose. If I ever made another set they would be a little longer to incorporate the link bolt also. Not sure that is needed though. took me about 8 hours to make both. would have been easier on a new vehicle that wasn't already smashed up & somewhat distorted.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:50 am

Was that new bolt location already in the OEM bracket, or did you add that for the skid. I like em...

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:37 pm

The holes were already there. I think they are tooling holes for Toyota when they built the FJ. One is oval, I made a spacer to fill in the gap & the other one on the inside side is a little bigger than the 3/8" bolt I put in it.
Thanks for the replies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:19 pm

When do I get my set? I can come to Concord...lot of family down there. 2 sisters and my parents are in Kannapolis. Plus I have a girlfriend there that my wife doesn't know about...shhhh

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Scottydog PM sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Scottydog wrote:
When do I get my set? I can come to Concord...lot of family down there. 2 sisters and my parents are in Kannapolis. Plus I have a girlfriend there that my wife doesn't know about...shhhh

I don't know how you guys do it with multiple girlfriends... I can't afford the one I have.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 pm

You're looking for the wrong ones, you've got to find the ones that WANT to take care of you & can afford to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 pm

I've been doing it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle lower link front mount   

Back to top Go down

Rear Axle lower link front mount
Page 1 of 1