NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tires - Tires - Tires

Go down 
+5
Darklight
Southeast Overland
boaterspence
Scottydog
FJerYuri
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

Tires - Tires - Tires Empty
PostSubject: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 3:49 pm

I currently run stock BFG All-Terrains 265/75/16.
I want to replace them with larger versions of the same tire, like 285's.

I'd like to know what changes I will need to make or should make to accomodate these larger tires.
Or will they just fit the current rims as-is and other than a speedometer recalibration, everything will just work normally? (How unlikely is that!?)

Thanks
FJerYuri
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 pm

No issues...just stick 'em on and roll over to URE...
Back to top Go down
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 pm

You won't get any rubbling without a lift?
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 4:58 pm

285-75-16's sometimes fit without doing the body mount chop, sometimes they don't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 4:58 pm

boaterspence606 wrote:
You won't get any rubbling without a lift?

Depends on the tire, the weight of the vehicle mods over stock, alignment specs...

Last edited by Southeast Overland on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Good to see you on here Yuri! How is TX treating you these days? You have the daystar spacer lift on your rig if I remember correctly. I don't think you will have a problem rubbing that much if any. You can have them pull the tire (caster) forward a little on an alignment to help with body mount contact if any occurs or just chop em. You can't loose with the BF Goodies
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Also, your speedo will be about 3% off so you will be going a hair faster then your spedo reads. If you were going 60 on the odo you will actually be doing 62.2 mph

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
285-75-16's sometimes fit without doing the body mount chop, sometimes they don't.

Are there any consistencies in brands that don't rub in your experience?
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 7:26 pm

David B wrote:

Steve, correct me if Im wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do with the sidewall and how aggressive/thick it is. I know my tires rubbed a tiny bit and James' (in Concord) had the same size, different brand and his did not.

Im sure each company has tons of different options so its probably hard to tell by anything other than asking around.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 10:29 am

Every tire is different and varies from brand to brand. Some are wider or taller and some are shorter and more narrow, eventhough: the side wall markings reads out the same size. Also, some have a more rounded edge on the side wall and some more square edge. Ones with a squarer edge will be a tad wider then one with a rounder edge. From what I've read Toyo's run wider and more true to actual size or larger, further more: an All Terrain type tire should be less tall or wide compared to a Mud tire in the same size. That is also related to the amount of thread depth as well on the M/T.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
David B wrote:

Steve, correct me if Im wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do with the sidewall and how aggressive/thick it is. I know my tires rubbed a tiny bit and James' (in Concord) had the same size, different brand and his did not.

Im sure each company has tons of different options so its probably hard to tell by anything other than asking around.

The most consistent answer I can give someone asking "How large of a tire can I run without rubbing?" is to tell them to try a 285-75-16 and it might rub, it might not. If it rubs you can crank your caster out to a higher number which will angle your tires further forward, moving them away from your body mount, and possibly alleviating rubbing on the body mount. Worse case you have to chop your body mount.

I can't say "X tire will work, Y tire will not" because as soon as I do that someone will say otherwise. The best thing to do is to try a 285-75-16, see if it rubs, and then go from there with a possible body mount chop.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to try the 285's and see how they work. I have a lift already and the wheel wells are just so empty looking (to me at least) running 265's. I'm def staying with the BFG AT T/A's cause they are such great all around tires for both highway and trails.

I wonder if I just have a toyota dealer recalibrate my chip to measure speed with larger tires, or do I have to live with a slightly off speedometer?

Hey considering these tires cost $250 ea, I'm thinking of just keeping my 265 spare and not getting the fifth tire....
What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:23 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to try the 285's and see how they work. I have a lift already and the wheel wells are just so empty looking (to me at least) running 265's. I'm def staying with the BFG AT T/A's cause they are such great all around tires for both highway and trails.

I wonder if I just have a toyota dealer recalibrate my chip to measure speed with larger tires, or do I have to live with a slightly off speedometer?

Hey considering these tires cost $250 ea, I'm thinking of just keeping my 265 spare and not getting the fifth tire....
What do you guys think?

My speedo is off too because of my tires. My Garmin GPS has a speedo on it (and also says the current speed limit) so I just look at that.

Id get the 5th tire. If you actually need to use it, probably good that its the same size as the others.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 pm

I've never ran one smaller tire with ATRAC engaged. Based off the principles of how ATRAC works (detects one tire on an axle spinning faster than the other) it might cause ATRAC to fire...dunno...just thinking out loud...
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:11 pm

If I get the fifth 285 tire as a spare, what could I do with the old 265 spare?
It's about four years old but practically new.
Is it worth keeping?
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:16 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
Is it worth keeping?

Selling it on Craigslist is about it.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:23 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
Is it worth keeping?

Sell it on Craigslist. Thats what I did.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: my old tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:22 pm

I've tried to sell my old factory tires again and again on cl no luck. Any one need some 1/4 tread dunlops
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Heck, i just sold my old 265/70 mud tires with 40k miles on them yesterday on Craigslist. The good thing is that the 265/70-17 is the most common size truck tire as it comes on most all trucks and there's always someone out there that just needs a tire or a set to pass inspection.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: tires    Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 8:51 pm

maybe some one will snag em up soon then
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 am

Will 285's fit on my rear door spare mount?

Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 am

FJerYuri wrote:
Will 285's fit on my rear door spare mount?

Yup, no problem. I put a spacer on mine but only because it was resting on my rear ladder.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 am

IF there are any issues, but there shouldn't be, you can also flip the spare carrier and that'll I've you more room.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Perfect. Thats great news.

Now the big question.....WHERE, is the best recommended place to purchase and mount the tires?

I live near Houston Tx now, so I can't just run down to AutoSolutions in charlotte.
(Although its almost worth it to make the trip back just to get my work done there!)

I'm considering the following:
Local Toyota dealer
Discount Tire
Sam's club / Wal-mart
Local specialty auto shop which focuses on OHVs, but mostly I see jacked up pickups on their lot and in their garage.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Definitely Discount Tire.

I got mine from there and here are the reasons that Ill never buy tires anywhere else.

1. 30 Day Guarantee. If youre not 100% satisfied within 30days (ride quality, tire size, ANYTHING), bring them back. The only charge will be the cost of the new tires they put on.

2. Free lifetime balance and rotations. I bring mine every 3000 miles when I change my oil- makes it easy for me to remember that way even though they recommend rotating every 6000 miles.

3. National Company. If youre traveling (work, pleasure, etc) and something goes wrong, theres most always one nearby.

4. They price match. Yes, even those obscure online tire companies. Just print off the page you found the better deal on (even though theyve never asked me for it).

5. Fast Turnaround. If you want a tire they dont have in stock, they can usually have it within 48hrs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires - Tires - Tires   Tires - Tires - Tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tires - Tires - Tires
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next