NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Campsite suggestions?

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Campsite suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Ok - finally bought a travel trailer for the family. Just a small 19' hybrid, but enough to get started. Looking around at all the different campsites, but it's difficult to figure if they are worth it or not. So I figured I would check to see if there are any other non-primitive campers out here that might have some good recommendations. I'm looking for family oriented spots - mainly being kid friendly with things for the younglings to do. Jellystone park in Marion is at the top of the list right now, but also looking at Camp Clearwater. Basically looking for spots that would be within a 4 hour drive or so from the Charlotte area.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Look into Cades Cove. Would be right around 4 hours in TN.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:09 pm

That looks nice - but only 2 sites with electric. Love Tennessee though. Pigeon Forge is another possibility.....
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:11 pm

And this little tidbit might scare the wife away.....

Bear Habitat!!

• All food and items used to store or prepare food, including
    coolers, MUST be stored in the trunk or cab of your vehicle/s at all
    times when not in use.
  • Dispose of garbage promptly in bear-proof dumpsters.
  • This rule is strictly enforced!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Cades Cove is just outside of Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg. You can go through the area on a paved path and see all kinds of wildlife on a daily basis. (bear, deer, turkey, foxes, etc.) Nothing fantastic, but would be neat for the kids.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:16 pm

go to my facebook page and look at my album Great Smoky Mountains Vacation. The first half is from Cades Cove. The second half is from the Cataloochee Valley area, which (I now know) is only a few miles from Hurricane Creek Rd. So we will probably be making a Fall weekend trip up there.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Wow - some great pics there (except for the tub shot! Smile). I've gotta start planning some trips out that way. Love the mountain lake areas.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:40 pm

"I'm sexy and I know it!"

We stayed in Gatlinburg for a few nights courtesy of a time share pitch Very Happy .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Also talk to Ryland, he does a lot of camper camping.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 am

Found another close one that looks pretty nice.

http://www.forsyth.cc/parks/tanglewood/
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: hot springs nc   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 am

There is a camping ground in hot springs. Nice little town outside asheville about 45 minutes. The camp ground is on the French Broad river. You can walk across the road to the actual hotsprings and soak in the hot tubs. The river is good fishing, and great swimming. There is a fire road with paint creek on it that has deep swim holes and cliff jumping. The fire road goes up to a look out tower with great views. From the campground you can also walk to about 5 restuarants on the river, local mast general type store etc. This little town is a great spot and less than 3 hrs from Charlotte probably 2 1/2. The fire road also has a legit 4x4 trail the 422-a trail mild trail with a few tough spots but you can go around easy. I even had my dad run it in his 06 4runner stock. I can give you more info if needed this spot is magical.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:55 am

That sounds real nice. I found 2 in Hot Springs. Do you know which it is?

http://www.nchotsprings.com/

http://www.meadowforkcampground.com/Business/Welcome.html
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Zooland family campground in Asheboro. About 1 1/2 hr's from Charlotte. Nice family campground with mini golf, swimming pool pond fishing, full hookups and special events on holidays. We spent 5 months there last summer/fall. The owner Gerald just bought the cg a year ago and has done some great updates to the bath houses & other facilities. They are also only a few miles from the NC Zoo and about 30 miles from Uwharries ohv trails and about 10 miles from hiking trails within the NF.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Ah - definitely putting Zooland on the list for a weekend trip. Especially since we have a membership for the zoo...

thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:44 pm

dsbike wrote:
Zooland family campground in Asheboro. About 1 1/2 hr's from Charlotte. Nice family campground with mini golf, swimming pool pond fishing, full hookups and special events on holidays. We spent 5 months there last summer/fall. The owner Gerald just bought the cg a year ago and has done some great updates to the bath houses & other facilities. They are also only a few miles from the NC Zoo and about 30 miles from Uwharries ohv trails and about 10 miles from hiking trails within the NF.

What is the day rate for this campground?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:36 pm

$31.50 per night includes 50amp electric, water & sewer
$28.50 per night includes 50amp & water
$26.50 per night includes 30amp & water
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Picked up the camper on Friday, and headed straight to Tanglewood Park - 40 minutes from the dealer. This turned out to be a perfect spot for the first trip. Great place, with some real nice biking/walking trails - and plenty of friendly people. The pool wasn't open yet, but there was a public pool 10 minutes away that was really nice too. Planning the next trips already, including Table Rock in SC, Jellystone in Marion, and Zooland. Definitely planning to go back to Tanglewood also.

Of course, there will be a few Arrowhead trips in there, but that will be more for wheeling trips Smile

Campsite suggestions? Untitled-2
Campsite suggestions? Untitled-1
Campsite suggestions? Untitled
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Yeah, don't park that next to mine. I will have camper envy for sure.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:29 pm

There were quite a few popups there that were about as big as ours. Amazing some of the rigs you see out there!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Yeah, not ours. Yeah when we were looking, it was definitely an eye opener of what could be put into a smaller camper these days. We will might upgrade in a few years when we move.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:48 pm

Where ya moving to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 am

We want to move a little further out with 20+ acres of land. I would prefer it to be closer to the mountains. It might just be to the northern end of the county and the move might not be for another 10 years. Just our plans for the future.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: camper   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Sorry not trying to be rude but about how much does one of those babies go for new? I'm looking this fall probably get something well used and do a remodel on her. Im a carpenter.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:28 pm

There is always a few on craigslist. Campers are like motorcycles. People buy them on a whim and then sell them when they realize it is not for them. Lots a good deals out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:30 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
Sorry not trying to be rude but about how much does one of those babies go for new? I'm looking this fall probably get something well used and do a remodel on her. Im a carpenter.

Probably not too far from you.

16' hybrid camper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Campsite suggestions?   Campsite suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Campsite suggestions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next