NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OEM Skid Garbage?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

OEM Skid Garbage? Empty
PostSubject: OEM Skid Garbage?   OEM Skid Garbage? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 4:26 pm

I just came out of the Blue Room looking for info on how to install the OEM skid. I saw countless postings about how crappy the OEM skid is.

Right now I have the "nothing" metal plate under there and an OEM skid minus the hardware sitting in my garage. I want to install the skid, but not if it is going to be a waste of my time. I don't plan on clinbing Kodak rock, but will be hitting the URE trails. This is my DD and I don't want to trash it.

I guess my question is do I continue looking for the hardware or chalk it up to a bad purchase and get something else?

PS...the Blue Room only frustrates me...a billion postings and almost imposible to find anything...and you better not ask a question that has already been asked...or else!
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

OEM Skid Garbage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM Skid Garbage?   OEM Skid Garbage? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 7:35 pm

depends on if you are talking about the dinky aluminum one that protects teh chin of the bumper or the angled front skid plate that covers the oil filter/radiator etc.

IMO if you have nothing protecting the radiator, fan shroud, oil filter etc then a stock one would be better than nothing but the stock one will nto hold up to serious abuse. Mine is bent all to hell on the 4runner but hasnt been beat on too hard. That said it hasnt broken only dented.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

OEM Skid Garbage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM Skid Garbage?   OEM Skid Garbage? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeah I agree with Chad, the angled aluminum skid available on the pre 2010 FJs is no good at taking anykind of abuse (based on owner accounts that I have heard and read).

Also, all FJs have the black "tin" skids under the front of the truck. It is these "tin" skids that the Ricochet skids mount to and there are quite a few members here that have these installed, have used them and really like them. If you have any questions on these, we have the fabricator that produces this line of armor as a member here on this forum and he is also on the blue room as well. His name is Brad, his forum name both here and on the other forum is "CNCKART". His company is located in Utah but I have become friends with him through the blue room and as a customer of his. He is really a great source of info. Feel free to PM him or post under the Ricochet review section on our forum.

The other popular option is Budbuilt skids. These are steel skids that replace the "tin" skid altogether. These however are quite heavy I am told because they are made out of steel where as Ricochets are made out of HEAVY DUTY aluminum. From what I have seen, Buds are a favorite of the more hardcore crawlers, but I have seen them on all sorts of rigs.

I like both, but went with Ricochets initially for cost savings and weight savings, but eventually found both Brad and the company to be a fantastic outfit with great customer service, awesome products and a great reputation.

Buds also have a great reputation as well, so those are at least 2 choices...I run the Ricochet front skid, engine skid and lower control arm skids as well. If you do any offroading, I would say go with something other than the factory skids....better safe than sorry, esp on your DD.

Also I agree on your earlier blueroom commentrs....hopefully we can control the flamming here a bit better and I don't think anyone should care if a querstion has been asked before....
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

OEM Skid Garbage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM Skid Garbage?   OEM Skid Garbage? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Scottydog wrote:
I just came out of the Blue Room looking for info on how to install the OEM skid. I saw countless postings about how crappy the OEM skid is.

Right now I have the "nothing" metal plate under there and an OEM skid minus the hardware sitting in my garage. I want to install the skid, but not if it is going to be a waste of my time. I don't plan on clinbing Kodak rock, but will be hitting the URE trails. This is my DD and I don't want to trash it.

I guess my question is do I continue looking for the hardware or chalk it up to a bad purchase and get something else?

PS...the Blue Room only frustrates me...a billion postings and almost imposible to find anything...and you better not ask a question that has already been asked...or else!

Great points David. I have the crummy one on my '07 and am concerned about smashing whatever is under it at some point. I would like to get something by Ricochet because, as David said, they are much more affordable ESPECIALLY if you dont plan on putting your FJ through Hell. Mine is my DD as well but I would like to have some fun with it too.

Have you looked on the blue room to see if anyone is selling theirs? I know they also have quite a few group buys which usually bring down the prices a bit.

Keep me posted because I may be following in your footsteps!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Sponsored content

OEM Skid Garbage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OEM Skid Garbage?   OEM Skid Garbage? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OEM Skid Garbage?
Page 1 of 1