NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalRegisterLog in

JACK's build!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 am

I never bothered to start a build thread on the blue room, I wouldn't expect much love when comparing my rig and small mods to the big (and big $$$) builds on the other forum.

So guys, I'm going to share my build here, with guys I actually know and see!!! I may have to work backwards a bit, but will hopefully get all the details and pics up. If anything, I hope to share some of my mods with you guys so you can see if anything of mine would work/look good on your rig!

December 2010:
We purchased JACK - a 2007 FJ with 30k miles on it. Voodoo blue, 4x4 auto.
Pretty much base, all it had was the locking rear diff and cruise control.
We got a REALLY good deal on him, and looking back I can figure out why. There was a bit of mud tucked away here and there, and once the wax wore off you could see they had buffed the paint pretty hard (probably getting rid of pin stripes). Either way, it was very sound, no problems or damage, and was exactly what we were looking for!

[Timeline of mods and/or pics coming soon!]

4-1-2012: mirror light upgrade! Removed the diffuser and upgraded to SilverStar 921 bulbs. May be TOO bright!
JACK's  build! IMG_0647
JACK's  build! IMG_0643
JACK's  build! IMG_0652
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 am

Wow, what a difference a bulb and diffuser can make! Those look like a second set of head lights!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 am

Dang those are bright! My wife doesn't like the amber bulbs I've got in the mirrors so I'm considering going back to white... Do they throw off enough light in the corners at night to actually help visibility while turning?
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:40 am

problemcat13.....

how was the diffuser removal? I have been looking for a thread on the removal, but have been unsuccessful this am.
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject:    JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 am

I should make my own thread on here on how to do it. The first thread below from the blue room is what got me started BUT be careful. Don't pop the mirror off like he shows you, from the top. Too much hassle and chance of breaking things (I've posted in that thread too, same screen name). Use the second thread for pointers, but don't follow everything in it as all you need to remove is the mirror, not all the housing stuff.

Pretty simple, here's a quick step-by-step:
1. Adjust the bottom of the mirror all way out, top all the way in.
2. Insert a flat head screwdriver in between the mirror and the bracket that holds it (at the bottom) and turn. I grabbed this pic off the web which shows what you're aiming for, the original thread is the second link below (but it goes into taking other stuff off which isn't necessary). FYI, I haven't tried this way yet but it appears to be the way it was designed to be removed whereas removing from the top has lots of other complications (I did break some stuff that way).
JACK's  build! SideMirrorGlassRemoved
3. Once you pop the mirror off, I believe you can easily turn and pull the light socket out of place.
4. Push on the diffuser with a screwdriver to make sure it's lose on the sides.
5. Turn a sheetrock screw into the diffuser a ways, then pull the screw with a pair of needle-nose pliers.
6. The screw will pull out, but will fold the diffuser in half and get it close enough to grab with the pliers. On both, I ended up pulling little bits off the diffuser (tearing) until it moved around enough that an edge was near the opening. Then I grabbed the edge and pulled. On both sides, one half came out, then the other half.
7. Put in your new bulb, pop the mirror back on.

Thread I initially followed:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/140841-easy-diy-mirror-light-mod-la-trail-teams-10-a.html

BETTER thread for removing mirror:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/81359-1w-led-mirror-lights-6.html

Last edited by problemcat13 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 am

Speedrye wrote:
Dang those are bright! My wife doesn't like the amber bulbs I've got in the mirrors so I'm considering going back to white... Do they throw off enough light in the corners at night to actually help visibility while turning?

I wouldn't think they would help enough at road speeds, but in off-road situations you could definitely turn the mirror inward and have better visibility out the side. Better than none.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 am

sweet thanks.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:12 pm

problemcat13 wrote:
I should make my own thread on here on how to do it.

Could you do an official write up and I will format it and post it in the How Too section as a downloadable document!

Thanks

-David

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:13 pm

THANKS ALOT! Mad ......I looked at those threads and all of the pics of the lights all I can see now is blue dots. I cannot even type an email.
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 5:00 pm

David, I will try to get something written up soon, but will want to take some pictures to go along with it so it might take some time.

I tell you what though, I AM going to put some dimmer bulbs in it. I mean, these hurt your eyes to look at them, and given they are so high up and facing oncoming traffic, I just don't think they're a good idea!

Can't find any specific regulations in a quick search except this:
.0533 Lights
(1)(h) Lights projecting a dazzling or glaring light when on low beam.
- Dazzling or glaring is defined as rising above the horizontal plane of the vehicle (higher than 42", 75" ahead of the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:23 am

OK, so the SilverStart 921s are TOO bright, right? They are actually bigger than the stock bulbs, not meant for this area.

JACK's  build! IMG_0647

And

JACK's  build! IMG_0643

So I tried SilverStar 194s but NO GO. Same size as stock, but actually DIMMER than what I had in there! Since I bought Jack used, I'm not entirely sure the bulbs that were in there were stock. I know the 921s were 17w, the 194s are 4.6w. Anywho, I just went back to what I had (stock or not) with the diffuser removed:

JACK's  build! IMG_0672

JACK's  build! IMG_0673

They are definitely bright enough to be better noticed, but not bright enough to really illuminate the area around you (and not enough to invite tickets by your friendly neighborhood po-po).

I may research bulbs some more, but these are fine for now. Much better without the diffuser, but I do wonder if they are stock or not (anyone feel free to post up a pic of a stock bulb and I'll compare to the bulb I have, which I have a pic of). Also, I took pics so I can do a write-up later. It's SUPER easy to do this. Took about 2 minutes per mirror, if you do it from the bottom side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JACK's  build! Empty
PostSubject: Re: JACK's build!   JACK's  build! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JACK's build!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: The Garage :: Member Builds-
Jump to: