NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

trying to level my new fj

Go down 
+5
ULTIMATEcruiser
Speedrye
bigdogdewey2
Scottydog
FDFJ
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: lift   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 pm

i have the toytec spring lift...no shocks...just springs...i have read in several places that the 285/79 17 tire can fit under NO lift....that will totally depend on the tire brand however...different brands give different heights...thats a sure bet...i honestly think that if your gonna take the time to level...you might as well lift...the lift is easy enough to do...two people, a couple of jack stands and a floor jack is all you need...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Mike, you said there is no need for the compression tool for the front shocks...Really?

I want to pull mine back off and adjust, but thought I would need the tool...do tell.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:09 am

Paul, I too was thinking about going for some 285/70/17s with a similar mod. Does anyone know if there is enough clearance for that size tire here???
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 am

Yes you should be fine! They will give about 2.5" of lift. As long as you arent running an odd sized wheel there wont be any rubbing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:11 pm

To make the sit level with the 5100 shock what should you set them too?
And how hard are they to install, if no spring compression is need I assume its just jack it up to get the weight off and take out the bolts.
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 pm

To keep it level it will probably need to go on the 2nd to highest setting. Some sort of spring compressing device will be needed. They do make little ones that clamp to the spring but I prefer the wall mounted type.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Ook but for about $200 more that toytec lift raises the rear too and uses my stock Bilstiens
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Yes, It will replace the rear springs. Im running both as of now. Toytec Rear with the bilsteins up front.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:18 pm

2011TRDIceberg wrote:
Ook but for about $200 more that toytec lift raises the rear too and uses my stock Bilstiens

If you're talking about the adjustable collars, I'd do that and use your own Bilsteins. This will give you much more adjustment and generally more lift if you want it. You'll still need to compress the springs though...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 6:56 pm

You DO NEED a spring compression tool...if you are are going to add springs (OME or similar) to the rear. Then put them in the 4th position (highest). If you are not changing rear springs, go with the 3rd position.

I have this setup...I started with them in 3 then added springs so had to change...would not want to do it again.

I rented a compression tool from ORiely auto, then you get the money back upon return, so it is free.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:20 pm

DONG TRUST SPRING COMPRESSORS>...seriously...figure out some other way to do this..i had a friend who used a set from autozone and lost all his front teeth...and wasnt being stupid with them...you can put springs in the rear and front without using a compressor...without issue...i did it on mine and it was actually very very easy...you are taking a huge risk if you do it yourself...either get a "professional" and pay them to do it or do it with out...the rears are as easy a hell...just disconnect the swaybar...thats the key ...in the front remove the old springs then use a prybar or jack handle and pry the lower A arm down...thats all there is to it...if you want me to do it I will...ill do it and BUY YOU A BEER...just so you dont F*&k your self up!!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:22 pm

I talking about removing the coil from the shocks and then replacing with new shocks...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

you can still do it without the compressors...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 pm

maybe YOU can...I to scared...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm

lol...me not scared....
lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trying to level my new fj
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2