NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalRegisterLog in

trying to level my new fj

Go down 
+5
ULTIMATEcruiser
Speedrye
bigdogdewey2
Scottydog
FDFJ
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

trying to level my new fj Empty
PostSubject: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 pm

I've been researching about how to level my 2012 fj. I don't really want to lift the back, just raise the front a bit. I am trying to avoid spacers that compress the coils, as im sure that would alter the ride a bit. Does anyone have any ideas? Im trying to keep the factory ride, just bump the front up an inch or two. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. These have 4 adjustment settings. With stock rear suspension, you can go with the level 3 setting and it will raise the front enough to level. I may be just a tad high.

These can be bought any number of places for about $85-$90 each. I had mine installed at a local shop. BUT, we are having a wrenching day next month and I will be re-adjusting mine higher since I added new springs to the rear.

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 pm

so are those coil over shocks? Im confused at how a shock could add lift???? so you're saying, buy the 5100's and thats all i need for 2 inches in the front? Thanks scotty! And id be happy to supply beer, or if you're harder to please, cash, for anyone helping me with the install!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: level   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm

you might wanna think about this...

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58699&category_id=103&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

that may be a good place to start...if you need more then i would consider the bilstien 5100 shocks...anything after that ...you are probably going to have to go with an actual lift....
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 pm

So those are just 3/4 inch spacers right? I like the idea of just buying new shocks so long as I don't have to buy anything else to level out the front. I know you're rig is awesome mike, but you saw my baby fj, it just needs something until I have your kind of money to do it right!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 pm

The 5100 adjustment moves the the coil "seat" up which results in list. The 1st slot is for stock height then they go up to about 2.5" of lift. I watched pretty closely when the shop did mine and I took some pictures. Hopefully I can remember enough and will have help from others to do mine...I'm sure we could knock out 2 sets at one time. Plus other projects that day... Check out the Wrenching Day posting under the Events section.

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Adding spacers to your front are not really going to really alter the ride quality. Its my understanding the 5100s basically act as a built in spacer, forcing the top end of the spring down thus lengthening the set-up. I think both require a coil spring compressor to install.

With this said I could be very wrong. I often am. Very Happy

I have these on the front, with toytec coils and icon shocks in the back. They also have these in 2", which is probably better if you are not lifting the rear.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58760&category_id=103&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Brian's correct on everything so far. The 5100's are a direct replacement but you do need a spring compressor to do the work as well as other basic tools, including a torque wrench to put it all back together. I put on the full Toytec kit, but I opted to assemble it all myself and save some $$ instead of buying the pre-made kit. It's the same procedure as just replacing the stock shocks with 5100's though.

I do not like spring compressors since they are so dangerous, so I brought my strut assembly to a local garage and had them compress the springs for me few a little $, much safer. I think that and a little welding are about the only things I've had someone else do on my truck.

Incidentally, I do work for beer and I'm only a few miles from you...
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 4:53 pm

ok speedrye, I ordered the 5100s......I dont have many tools since i just got in my house a few months ago, but everywhere Ive called is quoting me around 200 for install and alignment. How much do you think M&M tire and auto on 220 or somewhere like that would charge to just mount the new shocks on the factory coils and we install them ourselves? Do you have somewhere to work? I'd be happy to supply beer and pay you for the help, let me know man
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah, I've got a garage (heated if needed). I'd guess most places would charge $10-$15 for each, but you could probably find it cheaper. We can take the struts apart ourselves and just have them compress the new springs back on to make things easier.
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:12 pm

good deal, fair warning, i will be a set of hands, but thats about it. Ive done a lift on a heep, but that was a different ball game. But if you feel comfortable with being the brains behind the operation, let's do it. (name your price too)
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm comfortable with that and an extra set of hands will make things easier than doing it by myself like I did on mine. A 12 pack of beer is payment enough, though I will be picky about the beer. =)
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Well I'll hook you up man! Pm me your number or something and we can set this up
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 pm

PM sent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Speedrye wrote:
I'm comfortable with that and an extra set of hands will make things easier than doing it by myself like I did on mine. A 12 pack of beer is payment enough, though I will be picky about the beer. =)

LOL!

This is awesome and why I love this place!

I'm thinking of doing the same thing here! I would really like to go 285/70/17s and maybe this would be a good start!
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Haha I know, definitely cool people on here. I did a bunch of research and decided on the 5100s to raise the nose a bit, with the option of running 285s later.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Smart choice...IMO

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 pm

I have 5100's under mine along with 2" rear lift springs. I am gonna say this and you guys might feel differently but my initial plan was to level mine but as soon as the shocks were delivered to my house I started having second thoughts. I then chose to go ahead and get the rear springs so I wouldn't have to go through removing those front shocks in order to raise them to the 2.5" setting. I did this and I am so glad I did. Had I just leveled the front I don't think I would have been happy with it.

Now having said that, you will be very happy with the 5100's. I have been on several off road events and these shocks have been holding up very well. I am nothing but pleased with them.

I will also say that I took my own stock shocks off and carried them to a local tire shop that had a safe spring/strut compressor. They removed my springs from the stock shocks and installed them on the 5100's for $25. Took the guy about 10 minutes to do it as well. Saved me time and the headache that goes along with it. I recommend letting the professionals do the shock assembly but you can do the install.

2014 Ultimate Edition Trail Teams
Jami Stanley
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: lift Vs. leveling   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 pm

I agree with Jami...in what it took me to lift my truck i couls have just leveled it..but i know that if i had just leveled it i would not have been happy...i did the springs front and rear...and never even touched a spring compressor...you dont need it...I PROMISE YOU>>>YOU DO NOT NEED TO COMPRESS your springs...i dont have 5100s but all the same...still dont need to compress...my $.02 worth is that if your gonna level...you might as well lift...
Back to top Go down
FDFJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 am

i know i know.......The shocks are on the way, may look at some superflex coils in the rear........set the shocks to 2.5 inch, with 2 inches in the back.....that would be pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 am

For those with the 5100's. If I were to get these and put them on the highest setting do you think it would still sit level with a bumper?
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 am

Dave, what springs are you running? I know on my Toytec front lift, my front sagged 1/4" when I added the ARB bumper which is about the heaviest out there. On stock springs, I have no idea how much sag you'd get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Ok wait! I think this is a dumb question but here goes... Are you guys telling me you can put 285/70/17 on JUST by adding these shocks? I think the answer is no but I had to ask. My stock 2011 seems to sit up higher than most older stock FJs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I believe your answer is actually yes. I do not think the lift really dictates the size tires you can run. It might look pretty stuffed in the front wheel wells though. Even with the lift, when you compress your springs the wheels/tires would be back in this same position. The body mount, backspacing, and UCAs seem to be what limits tire size.

The rear wheel wells seems sufficiently larger, so a small leveling lift in the front should be plenty adequate to run larger tires.

****Everything I say comes with the following disclaimer: I am not even close to being an expert, just an avid learner.****
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Paul, Here is a thread that was recently started. I recall several others in the blue room running 285/70/17s without a lift.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/141852-i-dont-want-lift-what-tire-wheel-size-can-i-get-away.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying to level my new fj   trying to level my new fj Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trying to level my new fj
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Product Reviews :: Lifts/Suspension-
Jump to: