NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

explore blowing rock

Go down 
+6
Darklight
Xx_Black-out
dludlow32
adam78james
bigdogdewey2
crogers6569
10 posters
AuthorMessage
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

explore blowing rock Empty
PostSubject: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 12:01 am

I used to know of some old gravel roads and service roads outside of blowing rock... Anyone care to join me for some exploration? Im thinking I will leave out Jan 6th early and head up the mountain to do some exploring, camp out somewhere overnight and cruise back on sunday.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: i would be interested..   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 7:06 pm

i wouldnt mind exploring...just have to wait til i get fixed and after xmas maybe...
Back to top Go down
adam78james
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 am

Sounds like that would be fun! When would you know for sure you will be going?
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:59 am

ill know right after new years.
Back to top Go down
dludlow32
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dludlow32

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 am

If you can make the weekend after (Friday the 13th) I would go.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 am

Are you still going to Blowing Rock?
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 am

yeah i just gotta repair my truck... I cant drive more than 200 miles without filling up right now. Having to postpone some wheeling.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:02 pm

crogers6569 wrote:
yeah i just gotta repair my truck... I cant drive more than 200 miles without filling up right now. Having to postpone some wheeling.

What's up with that? That is some pretty bad gas milage
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 pm

If you don't make it up there until spring, The wife & I just rented a cabin for a week starting the day of the sping show. We plan on leaving the show then heading to Boone for a good part of that week. I know you had talked about going to URE after the show. But if your plans change maybe we could meet up in Boone for some wheeling. Or maybe you can post where to go so we can do some exploring/wheeling while we are there.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 4:57 pm

I've spent a bunch of time around the Linville Gorge area, and east around Mortimer. I'd be happy to bum around those parts for a day or two - especially when the bad weather rolls in. Anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:42 pm

im all about the snowwy kind of runs...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

It gets a bit icy at times. Literally almost killed myself just around the corner from this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bIpRz4glwI
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: icey   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 pm

looks like that was all pretty much ice...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 pm

It was ALL ice. Some of the USFS roads weren't too bad where no one or at least few people had been. Where many had driven it was all ice. Here is an F250 on ice.

Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

I'm waiting on a good snow as well! I used to run a Field Training Exercise out of the Forest Service Maintenance Building right there at Mortimer. That is some really challenging terrain to make students do long range foot movements through, really challenging! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
It was ALL ice. Some of the USFS roads weren't too bad where no one or at least few people had been. Where many had driven it was all ice. Here is an F250 on ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74uU05Dmec&list=UUNJLy1C1hxNmdHif_dFSV5w&index=17&feature=plcp

How do you embed YouTube videos?

POOR FORD!
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74uU05Dmec&list=UUNJLy1C1hxNmdHif_dFSV5w&index=17&feature=plcp

How do you embed YouTube videos?

POOR FORD!

That was a buddy of mine. His main wheeling rig is a Unimog which isn't exactly ice friendly. That sliding was just the start of the day. I was in the lead and was told that I was sideways more than I was straight.

Here are a couple of photo albums from snow runs last winter. HERE, HERE, and HERE.

And this is all ice...

[img]explore blowing rock Index[/img]
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: nice   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 am

nice pics..looks like a lot of fun..cant wait to hit some snow...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 am

so when is the blowing rock run? anybody have a idea as to when a good time would be??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 am

I have no knowledge of anywhere to go, but I am definitely willing to follow. I am itching to get off road myself.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
so when is the blowing rock run? anybody have a idea as to when a good time would be??

I'm waiting for some bad weather. The weather has been really warm so far this winter and we are about through January. I meant to order a pair of chains but it looks like I might not even need them.

If snow/ice never hits we can do a fair weather trip but I couldn't fit that in until March probably... The schedule is pretty full.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:21 am

Only thing that's legal in the area in Richland Rd. and a couple gravel rds. The rest is closed down or illegal/private property.

Please stay off private property and practice tread lightly, have fun exploring!
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 am

lrgrnr wrote:
Only thing that's legal in the area in Richland Rd. and a couple gravel rds. The rest is closed down or illegal/private property.

Please stay off private property and practice tread lightly, have fun exploring!

Don't worry Larry. I only take people on legal roads and trails. If anyone decides to go down an illegal or private road against my instructions then they get left- purdy easy. Southeast Overland has donated a ton of time and money (professional consulting) over the past 4 years to keeping trails open - some we can't even discuss. 1 is a new trail system too. Southeast Overland is also a Tread Lightly business member and soon we will be instructors.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 am

And I'm bum around more west to Richland Rd. Last winter Richland Rd was Posted but I believe it wasn't a legal sign. There are pics in the Photo Album on the Southeast Overland website.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 am

I know this Steve, I was just posting in general to the OP.

And I'm bum around more west to Richland Rd. Last winter Richland Rd was Posted but I believe it wasn't a legal sign. There are pics in the Photo Album on the Southeast Overland website.

Richland is private on both sides of the trail, the main trail is a public road though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: explore blowing rock   explore blowing rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

explore blowing rock
Page 1 of 1