NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snatch Strap

Go down 
+6
85runner
bigdogdewey2
crogers6569
totald
Crazy Hube
David B
10 posters
AuthorMessage
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 am

A snatch strap can be a VERY useful tool, if used properly.....

Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Tyler needs to see this
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 1:33 am

Always good info. A lot of people go straight for the winches and don't realize how important the basics for recovery are.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 12:55 am

Bubba Rope... Carry one with me always..

Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 2:06 am

I have a strap I carry everywhere but I like the idea behind that rope much better. I have used that exact same type of rope in the Coast Guard during boat towing evolutions and the elastic rebounding works great.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 2:27 am

And, it has a cool name
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: bubba rope   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 7:45 pm

hey chad how much was the bubba rope...?? want to get one...
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 8:14 pm

4running wrote:
Tyler needs to see this

I did everything right. It was your sub par strap that snapped like a twig. Try not to get stuck next time.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 pm

You watch the attitude, I have a winch now.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 pm

I think i spent 75 on it.
Back to top Go down

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:58 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
hey chad how much was the bubba rope...?? want to get one...

Try this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUBBA-ROPE-1-2-x-20-SNATCH-ROPE-7-400-/300594188610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fccf5142#ht_1472wt_1037
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:00 pm

mine is a year and half maybe 2 years old... I havent looked at prices in a while but that seems like a deal.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 pm

I will definitely be looking to get one very soon. I almost had to use my strap on my 2wd 4runner in the OBX today.
Back to top Go down

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:21 am

The link I placed was for a 1/2" strap. Here is one for the 7/8" strap. Not really sure which would be needed. I would imagine the 1/2" would be fine. You could always fold it in half to double up the force it could withstand. Possible use it in conjunction with a regular strap if you needed more length. I don't have enough experience with wheeling to really say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUBBA-ROPE-7-8-x-20-SNATCH-ROPE-28-600-/300605084340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd7592b4#ht_1472wt_1037
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 8:27 am

7400 lbs vs 28600 lbs rating, so I'd say the 7/8" would be needed for the FJ since the force generated is a lot more than just the weight of the truck. The smaller one would probably be great for 4-wheelers and Razors and that type of vehicle.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:04 am

force = mass x acceleration

so a 3500lb truck accelerating at 88ft/sec or 1mph per hour which is much slower than the average acceleration of a snatch generates

well i sat here for about 15 minutes trying to do this in my head and all i succeeded in was drinking antoeh beer but its a lot of force and you need a big strap.

That is all

Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:09 am

Sounds like my kind of math.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:12 am

ill be durned if a bout all my head isnt swimming with physics now... i got into the force spread over the distance that the strap can stretch and then the beer got flowing faster cause i drink when i think. Then the number got more complex cause i realized that the force of acceleration is decreasing over the span of the elasticity and then i started calculating that then my head got really swimmy cause i needed more drink to let the number swim better then my tablet i was doing my rithmatics on started screwing up so i gave up and posted my answer...

Its alot of force in that right there.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 am

It took a little digging, but on their facebook page (Australia), they say the 1/2" is for ATV's, UTV's and side-by-sides. The 7/8" is designed for 4x4's, jeeps and SUV's.
Back to top Go down

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am

Oh gosh now we are in my area! F=m x a is true, but your 3,500lb is a measure of force(weight) and not mass.

The force needed to be applied isn't equal to the weight of the vehicle. It just needs to be slightly greater than the resisting forces (Friction, air resistance, and anything pushing against it). Towing a 8000lb vehicle does not require 8000lbs+ of force, just enough to overcome the friction between the tires and road, and of course air resistance. The actual force is probably closer to 1,000-2,000lbs. Its the reason in the Strong Man competitions they can pull a 20,000lb semi truck. With the truck in neutral and not going fast, they are probably only exerting a 500-900lbs of force.

The force needed of course increases as the angle of incline increase. Now you are also pulling a up a component of the weight as well as competing against the resisting forces.

All in all, about 95% of pulling someone who is stuck could be done well within the 7,400lb capacity of the small one. Then again maybe you get stuck in the other 5% spot! Very Happy

Please forgive me of my ranting, but this what happens to physics teachers when they haven't worked in a while.

Speaking of pulling, I had to pull my mulch supplier out of the mud yesterday. He brought a large flatbed full of mulch and dumped it off in my back yard. It was 2WD and without the mulch had no traction. He tore up much of the common space next to my yard before he would let me pull him out. The FJ pulled it out with ease. I just wish I had a picture,
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Chad I tried to solve this from where you left off.......Dr Oz (on TV) said that " to reach inner peace" we should always finish things we start,and
we all could use more calm in our lives during the hectic Holiday season. . . . . so. . . . .

I looked around my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished, so . . . . .
I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys,
a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiuminun scriptins, an a box a chocletz.
Yu haf no idr how fablus I feel rite now.

Neeeeddlesss tooo saaa i coulned figer it ot!!!
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm

I do not recommend a 1/2" recovery rope for an FJ Cruiser. Yes, it will work in many tow situations but recovery ropes excel in dynamic snatch situations. Often these are when your wheels are buried in mud. Even when you dig yourself out a snatch can generate several times more force than the weight of your vehicle. Heck, I saw an electrical extension cord towing a vehicle once - yes it worked but NO I would not use that cord for off-road situations, much less snatching.

Think of it this way. The more a strap or rope stretches the more speed it can come back at you, also with increased force. A polyester tow strap typically stretches a few percent, a nylon snatch strap around 8-10%, and a recovery rope can stretch up to 30%. The stretch is what makes snatches possible (and even towing more comfortable). But if the strap stretches to it's extent and then breaks you've got all that energy coming back at you. I'd suggest a snatch strap or recovery rope that is at a minimum 3x stronger than the loaded weight of your vehicle (like this).

As someone said you can double a line to increase it's strength but you have to pay attention to how you double the line. For instance, Amsteel Blue winch line needs a 4:1 'bend ratio.' That is if you are using 3/8" line the bend at the double needs to be 4x the diameter of the line, or at a minimum 1.5". Any less than this will decrease the strength of the line - similar to how a knot in Amsteel Blue degrades the strength of the line so we use splices. I would not suggest doubling a recovery rope over something like a 3/4" shackle because that would put a definite kink in rope. I'd have to look up the ratio to give a hard minimum diameter on the bend though...
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a 1/2" rope would've snapped on the OBX trip during the deep sand recovery. When my short self can see over the roof of an FJ on flat ground, you know you're buried. Rolando did make a great anchor though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snatch Strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snatch Strap   Snatch Strap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snatch Strap
Page 1 of 1