NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

lug nut torque

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: lug nut torque   lug nut torque Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 1:12 pm

not sure if this belongs in the "TIRES" section...but ill start it here...does anyone now what the torque specs are on the FJ lug nuts. the owners manual says that its 85ft lbs..ive been reading in the blue room and there seems to have been a pretty sizable problem with the lug nuts breaking off at and even below 85ftlbs...has anyone had this problem? i torqued my new spacers to 85ftlbs and also put threadlock red on the studs...and as far as the new wheels i also put them on at 85ftlbs...but to be completely honest...they seem loose...because when i removed them yesterday to do the body mount chop it took very little effort to unscrew the lugnuts...just thought i would share ...
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: Re: lug nut torque   lug nut torque Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I torque mine to 90ftlb. I have never had a problem. I know the manual says 85. But I have several cars & it is easier to just set them all at the 90.

It has been my experience when a stud breaks it is because someone overtorqued it with an impact gun or it rusted on. The person torqueing it on properly that breaks a stud is because the person before had run it on to tight & fractured the stud. Unfortunate because you can't go back 6 months later & tell that shop they screwed it up. Everytime I have a shop remove & replace my wheels I stand there & watch they don't just hammer away on the lugnuts with the impact gun. In fact there is one well known long time shop in Concord I will never go back to again. I had restored a 1988 Honda Accord for my sons first car. Took it tohave new tires on. The kid installing the tires hammered on the lugss for at least 20 seconds on each. I had to use a cheater bar when I got home to loosen them up & retorque. They lost my bussiness & I have bought a lot of tires from that shop prior to that.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: Re: lug nut torque   lug nut torque Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:10 pm

85 works for me just fine, but you're right, they seem easy to get off and that's usually the way they should be. dsbike is right though, too many people just use an impact gun. If you're used to taking off wheels that have been torqued to 140 ft/lbs, then 85 will feel like nothing. Most other cars I've had use 90 as well and I think that would be fine on the FJ. Just remember some anti-seize on the studs.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: well   lug nut torque Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:18 pm

well i have mine torqued to 85 and im gonna check them again after about 500 miles...i dont think they will be a problem...fingers crossed..
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: Re: lug nut torque   lug nut torque Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 1:22 am

85 to 90 is what I have always done. No issues.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: Re: lug nut torque   lug nut torque Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Make sure you retorque the spacers too! 85 lbs of torque here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lug nut torque Empty
PostSubject: Re: lug nut torque   lug nut torque Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lug nut torque
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Product Reviews :: Tires-
Jump to: