NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warning for all FJs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Warning for all FJs Empty
PostSubject: Warning for all FJs   Warning for all FJs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 7:50 pm

When I did my body lift, I found one of my body mount bolts had almost completely rusted through. I'd venture that it would have failed completely in less than a year. I find this odd for a California truck that didn't see dirt or anything for the first 5 years of it's life. Both of the body mount bolts in front of the rear wheels were very rusty, but the driver's side one pictured below was seriously compromised. For any of you mechanically inclined, this is something work checking out at some point. Here it is pictured with two other body mount bolts:

Warning for all FJs Rustedbodymountbolt
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Warning for all FJs   Warning for all FJs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Hmmmmm, thanks for sharing that, definately worth keeping an eye on.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Warning for all FJs   Warning for all FJs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 pm

thats why the body is held on with more than one bolt.... bounce

In all seriousness though that bolt had some water sit around it where it passed through the cab. The rust ring is right where it should sit in the body mount bushing.

On an entirely other not how did you get that bolt out without your impact snapping it half right at the weak point. I tend to breakperfectly good bolts with my impact that one wouldnt have survived two clicks.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Warning for all FJs   Warning for all FJs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:40 am

Yeah, the bushing was very rusty as well and will need to be replaced soon honestly. My impact is adjustable and I usually start with lower torque settings unless I need more power. After seeing the bolt that came out though, I'm also surprised that I didn't snap it. The body and actual mount didn't have any rust on them though, so that's the good news. I'm assuming that water could somehow infiltrate the body bushing and just sit there, rusting away at the bushing and the bolt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning for all FJs   Warning for all FJs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warning for all FJs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: General/Off Topic Discussion :: "All Other" Posts-
Jump to: