NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tire Deflators

Go down 
+5
David B
crogers6569
rylandnc
Speedrye
Scottydog
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 pm

What is everyone using for deflating. I found a pretty good comparison chart. It has a lot of brands and pretty good info about each.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm

I've got the ARB deflator which is the same as the Currie in that comparison. It's good to see it gets good ratings though. I like the gauge built in so that I know exactly where the pressure is before I screw the valve back in.
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm

I've got the Staun automatic ones. They work great. By the time I get the 4th one screwed on, the first one is about done. That was going from 40 down to 22. They are very solid feeling, brass, should last many many years. Definitely a back saver. I preset mine on a trailer spare tire in my garage.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 pm

I take the valve core loose till air start coming out then do the same for all 4 tires.... by the time i get back to tire 1 it is at around 15psi wait a minute screw the vale stem back in and im at 10-12psi and thats where i wheel
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 am

ARB deflator here....that and a good ol tire gauge.....
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 am

I was using the back of a regular old tire pressure gauge, then I bought this. http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/Parts/airdowngauges.html

It sucks for my purpose. It has a pressure relief valve that can be used while the pressure is monitored, but this thing is so slow. It took me 3-4 minutes to go from 45 to 30 psi (on one tire)! So I will not be using this. I think I am going to to by the Staun valves or just use the old method.

OH YEAH, FOR SALE - Viair Air Down Gauge $25 OBO
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Man Brian, we gotta work on your sales pitch...
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 am

Speedrye wrote:
Man Brian, we gotta work on your sales pitch...
Come on, you know you want it. I will even give you the NCFJer friend discount of 1%. That brings the price to ONLY $24.75!!! That is a steal all day, every day.
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:17 pm

I was going to buy the ARB one at the local shop but it was out of the package with no instructions. I couldn't figure out how to make it read the pressure and the guy there was NO HELP. He didn't even know something like that existed until I described. Then he ran off to the back and came back with the ARB Deflator. He wanted $30.00 for but I wouldn't do it since I wasn't sure it worked properly.

I might just get some standard deflators or use the back of a standard gauge like someone else mentioned... I'd like the Stauns but I can't justify $70-80. I never air down here at the beach.
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Here is a thought. Does anyone want to go for half of a 4pk of the staun deflators? I really don't want to spend the $82 and could easily get by with two. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I just picked up a Currie deflator at 4 Wheel Parts here in town. It was $30 ($6 less than the ARB) and the guy said its the exact same deflator. He even seemed to think that since Currie specializes in axles, ARB makes this deflator for them. I like the big built-in gauge also.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:58 pm

I have been thinking about getting a set of the Staun deflators, and have put them on my Christmas list. As a matter of coincidence a neighbor/friend who has recently sold his jeep said he had a set of deflators. He has never used them and thought I might want them. So I accepted the gift. Very Happy

They are not the Staun, but are knock offs with the Smittybuilt label. I have heard only bad things about them in the blue room, but think I should give them a shot. I mean they were free, I won't be out anything. I will play around with them this weekend. I should have some feedback of them soon.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:05 pm

I just got a set of TerraFlex deflators...My son uses them for his Jeep and speaks highly of them. I figure for $15 it is worth a try.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TMI-4807200/
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 pm

I use the Currie/ARB defaltor. Got rid of the Stauns as they were a PIA and never stayed in adjustment.

The Currie/ARB is made by a third party. I looked into having my logo put on them as well but they required me buying far more than i wished. The unit works great and is far faster than the Stauns.
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Tire gauge and a bobby pin....

you're welcome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Who is Bobby? Must have very sharp head...
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_pin

They can be found all over my house and car... and most places I go. Smile Handy little things! Consider it a "chick tool"!
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 am

Katybelle04 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_pin

They can be found all over my house and car... and most places I go. Smile Handy little things! Consider it a "chick tool"!

lol!

Ok we proved you don't need them at the beach... Are you guys telling me I'll need them on the trails?
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 am

I don't know, I ran for awhile on the beach without airing down and figured I'd air down to about 20 psi just to see the difference. I had significantly better traction, control and general feel. Of course that didn't stop me from almost getting stuck...
Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 am

We always air down when we drive on the beach. It really helps in soft sand.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:54 am

On the trail it is almost a must...much better traction and control.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:32 pm

I have oasis tire deflater's work great!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Way to be resourceful Katy!!!

Ive got a Currie as well NCFJ1. From what I was told, since Currie specializes in axles, ARB actually makes the tire deflators for them.... which is why they are the exact same (minus the red instead of orange).
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Another company makes them for both Currie and ARB.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Ooh, good to know. I learn something new every day! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tire Deflators Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Deflators   Tire Deflators Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire Deflators
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next