NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fall Foliage Report

Go down 
+3
ULTIMATEcruiser
David B
NC FJ Driver
7 posters
AuthorMessage
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Fall Foliage Report Empty
PostSubject: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Alright last year I couldnt get away from the office, but this year I should be able to take a couple days after the 23rd of Oct and the leaves should be turning about then.

So, I know some of you live out west and can keep us over here in the flatter lands abreast of when the best time to spend some time driving the mountain roads and taking in the fall colors would be.

When you hit it right, the colors in western NC can rival those of New England, so I'm asking if you guys out west will be our eyes and let us know when its peak time to head that way...

Whose up for it?cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Foliage along the parkway is at its best/brightest between October 15-25 depending on the elevations. With higher elevations being closer to mid-October. The colors are best when there is plenty of rain in September followed by a cold October. So if the temperature drops we might be looking at an awesome Fall season in the mountains.

Here are a few of my favorite pics from my trips there with my wife. The cabin is special to us as it is where I later proposed to her 3 years ago on New Year's Eve.

[img]Fall Foliage Report MountainswithBrian08045[/img]

[img]Fall Foliage Report IMG_0478[/img]

[img]Fall Foliage Report IMG_0437[/img]

Fall Foliage Report IMG_0425
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm

GREAT pics!!! Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Man I love the mountains! If I had the resources I would move the family there in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Jami, I am with you. We are trying to save for some land in the Hickory/Lenoir area in hopes to build a house and move there in 10-15 years. I would move further up the mountains, but the wife doesn't want to be too far away from a decent size city.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Great Pics, and that is exactly the color I'm looking for....is that anywhere near Linville Gorge?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 6:42 am

Yes, kind of. My usual trip consists heading north out of Wilkesboro to connect to the parkway via hwy 16. Then I drive through Blowing Rock. The cabin is closer to Jeferson. The lake is closer to Boone, but the pics of the mountain side were closer to Blowing rock which is not to fall from that area.

I used to ride this several times every year on my motorcycle. The parkway is awesome on a bike. Since my son was born we haven't been able to do it like we used to, and now this summer I sold my motorcycle. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 6:47 am

Well, sorry to hear about the bike, but this year you've got the FJ!!!Very Happy

I used to hike around Mt Mitchell and the Black Mountain Crest Trail alot, but its been awhile...beautiful country for sure.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 am

the pictures look like price lake off the parkway between boone and blowing rock and possibly rough ridge trail there there as well (just before the viaduct). I would recommend to anyone to go to those spot in late oct or early nov those 2 spots are my favorite when I am up that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:04 pm

That is exactly where they were taken from.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:44 am

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Well, sorry to hear about the bike, but this year you've got the FJ!!!Very Happy

I used to hike around Mt Mitchell and the Black Mountain Crest Trail alot, but its been awhile...beautiful country for sure.

Ah the crest trail. I backpacked it solo last january in a foot plus of snow. Bezt trip i have ever done on this coast.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 8:42 am

that is a good hike, BUT in a FOOT of snow! crogers6560 you are a baller!
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 am

You mean BLUE baller if there's a foot of snow! Opting for the extra layer of undies for that trip. Brrr!
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 am

I wish I could get a picture like that above of my family out on a ledge with the fall colors behind them. How did you get to that spot if don't mind sharing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:06 am

Its a marked trail along the parkway. Our starting location was about 20 minutes outside of Boone and about a mile or two before you get to the viaduct. The rock jut out is right along the path. Not a difficult hike to this point at all.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 am

the hike is not too bad (short) but it is straight up and straight down, the trail is well maintained. there are observations decks for photos (or great rock cropping for pics just off the trail).
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:49 am

Oh man I'm so going there to get that shot. Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Travis are you from the area, or perhaps an ASU Alumin like myself?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 7:37 pm

For those looking for Fall color along the parkway in the high country, you need to hurry and get up there. I went today with my wife and her family. We traveled along the parkway and picnic in Linville Gorge. The leaves are just about in peak color! This is going to be an especially vivid Fall season.

Here are two from today's trip. We were with a bunch of old people so we really didn't stop much to take pictures. These were taken while moving. I will post a link to my photobucket album if you want to see a few more.

Yuri, I wrote down the info on the location from the pictures I posted previously. The Lake (Price Lake) was around parkway marker 297. The overlook with my wife on the rock was taken on Rough Ridge Overlook Trail. We started the trail at the pulloff around parkway marker 302. It is about 1/2 mile North of the Viaduct. This particular rock was no more than half way up the trail.
Link
https://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l542/Brian7758/Parkway%20Trip%202011/

Fall Foliage Report DSCN1144Fall Foliage Report DSCN1142
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 pm

I did the Blue Ridge Pkwy today from Meadows of Dan, VA down to Boone. Here are some shots...

Fall Foliage Report Dsc_0019
Mabry Mill
Fall Foliage Report Dsc_0020

Fall Foliage Report Dsc_0021

Fall Foliage Report Dsc_0022
I was dodging wild turkey all day
Fall Foliage Report Dsc_0023
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 pm

BEAUTIFUL PICS!!!! Thanks for sharing!!
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 am

Amazing pics! The colors are beautiful.
Brian, I had planned a trip up there on the 22nd, two weeks from now, but i'm worried that will be too late to get the best colors.
I will see if I can move the trip up to this coming Saturday. Thanks for the update and location info!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Yuri, the pics do not do it justice. It really is a thing to see in person. I think either of the next two weekends would be great weekends to go. There are some fanatics out there that are dead set on going at the "peak", but truthfully there is about a 3 week window where everything is amazing. Even after this, it will still be nice, just with some brown mixed in with the colors.

If you do get the chance, take the trail up the mountain. It doesn't seem like there would be much difference, but there really is. The higher you go up the more vivid everything is.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:40 am

I found the trail head parking area using google earth. Now I can go right to it. Thanks for the directions. BTW, I've moved my trip up a week to this Saturday. Don't want to risk missing any color or cloudy weather.
I'll post some pics when I get back home Saturday night. Hopefully they will turn out good.

Think we will do the lunch picnic thing at the park across from price lake back toward boone after we've snapped our pictures. I'm sure it will be very popular this weekend. Lots of picture takers on the parkway I bet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fall Foliage Report   Fall Foliage Report Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fall Foliage Report
Page 1 of 1