NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting Nervous about the Windshield

Go down 
+4
CarolinaCruiser15
FJerYuri
David B
Orange Boxx
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Getting Nervous about the Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 am

I was driving to work this morning and had the second rock hit the windshield with enough force to put dents in the glass... no cracks yet. I've only had the FJC a month and a half... It sure seems like that glass is a magnet for rocks.

The first one I found by following a truck and trailer that had a bulldozer on it down the highway and maybe I was too close... I wasn't really paying attention and had other things on my mind. I was running about 60 and I saw it coming and WAS SURE it was going to come through the glass.

I'm not even sure where this one came from this morning... I had just passed (I'm pretty sure I was by him) a City worker weed eating beside the road and the car in front of me was way ahead of me.

That glass sure doesn't deflect at all does it? Both times it has sounded like I'd been shot at.
Back to top Go down
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:39 pm

I have 3 spots in mine No cracks yet here either !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Nothing we can do about the windshield.....just hope and pray....LOL

The windshield is basically a vertical piece of glass and will catch anything that is thrown at it.... I have already had a visit from Safelite to repair a chip/tiny crack from a rock I caught on the highway. That has been the worst so far, and since I travel I-540 to work every day, 27 miles in each direction, I know it is only a matter of time...

I have probably a dozen tiny chips already, but your eyes adjust to these and they become un-noticable (at least to me anyway).

I have always had full coverage on my glass on all vehicles, because in the past, My new VW Jetta had a cracked windshield within the first year, I had 2 windshields replaced on my Honda Element that I owned and on my wifes Sport Trac, we had 4 repairs performed all due to rocks kicked up from highways.

So, In the FJ, I am actually doing better than my previous vehicles.

Just make sure that. if you ever need to have the windshield replaced, you do your homework.

I've been told by other owners that you want a shop that uses PPG glass and that MOST DEFINITELY will order and replace the trim piece at the top of the windshield....THIS IS A MUST as when that piece comes off, it "breaks" and should not be reused. MOST windshield places know to order this as part of the replacement, but make sure they do order it, make sure you see the new piece and make sure, if you have glass coverage, that insurance pays for it. If the insurance company doesn't believe you, have them call Toyota. It is mandatory that this trim piece is replaced with each new windshield.

Hope this helps anyone out there that may have had questions.

David
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for the time to post all that David! That will really help when the time comes... I've also noticed that bugs make a MUCH bigger mess as well! We hit a couple together going down I-40 and they made BIG spots on the window (no deflection) so it's good to keep the cleaner fluid level up too... LOL
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 4:09 pm

I recently had my windshield replaced by SafeLite. Insurance paid for it. The white trim piece came in the package with the glass. The default color of the trim is white since most FJ's have white tops.

*** IF you have a mono-chrome FJ other than all white like mine, make sure the glass repair people know what color you have/need. Otherwise there is a chance the tech could bring a white trip piece and not discover the issue until after they've ripped out the old glass.

It took the guy about 1.5 hours to do the whole thing. I watched him the whole time. He even said that FJ owners almost always watch the procedure while other car owners never watch. Funny thing.

The removal is very traumatic to watch because it requires the tech to remove lots of body panels to get to the glass itself. Also the glass cracks to pieces when they finally peel it off. The old trim piece across the top is often bent or crumpled during removal. Thus the replacement which is included.

The installation takes less time. Everything is then resealed and reassembled. A few strips of tape are applied to hold things together tightly for a couple hours while everything sets in place. You can't drive it for an hour and shouldn't drive it for 2-4 hours and the tech said for the best results, let it set still overnight, but theoretically its legal to drive after an hour.

When you get in and drive around with that new glass, wow, its so clear its like there is nothing there. You can't help leaning in close to marvel at the glorious clarity, and then BOP! A big fat bug ends its life all over everything. ah well, thats life.

If you haven't already or recently, I recommend installing new wiper blades as well. Seeing those new blades clear off the perfectly smooth glass is a sweet feeling. Feels like you're driving a brand new truck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 4:15 pm

On the way back from Savannah this weekend a stupid PT cruiser lovingly threw what sounded like a boulder at my windshield. I could see a little glint when the direct sunlight hit the windshield, so I am pretty sure we have a baby crack on our hands. I read above where someone had used safelite, any experience with their resin? I want to nip this thing in the bud!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 pm

paulwardinc wrote:
Thanks for the time to post all that David! That will really help when the time comes... I've also noticed that bugs make a MUCH bigger mess as well! We hit a couple together going down I-40 and they made BIG spots on the window (no deflection) so it's good to keep the cleaner fluid level up too... LOL

Speaking of bugs and windshields.... do you (or anyone else) have issues with the windshield wiper fluid not getting to the center of the windshield?? I swear the bugs have radar for that spot and thanks to the wiper fluid, I cant get them off until I get to a gas station.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Orange Boxx

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 pm

I have full spray just ask Mike !!! LOL Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 am

Man, I want my windshield to break... I've put about 35k miles on my truck since I bought it used and I can't even get a rock chip or anything. The previous owner used such a bad shop on the windshield, that I'm just itching to break this one so I can get a replacement. They didn't replace the white strip at the top and it's bent some and ugly. They broke all the clips on the two small cowl panels (one has the antenna mounted through it). They didn't seal the bottom of the windshield fully so you hear extra wind noise at the bottom, or gurgling if it's raining (though no water gets in).
Bring on the rocks! Oh, as a side note: Make sure the company replacing the windshield also brings the plastic clips for the cowl panels since they break upon removal and aren't reusable.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm

DirtGhost wrote:
I have full spray just ask Mike !!! LOL Shocked

Hmmm, maybe its my nozzles then. I had to replace them (long story) but I cant remember how things were with the OEM ones.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 pm

I see you are in China Grove, I am in Concord. I have several chips ,2 that have been repaired and I just got a 4" - 6" crack coming right up into my line of sight. Where is the Safe lite that you used to replace your windshield. It sounds like you had an experienced FJ windshield installer replace your? Are you still happy with the install?

FJerYuri wrote:
I recently had my windshield replaced by SafeLite. Insurance paid for it. The white trim piece came in the package with the glass. The default color of the trim is white since most FJ's have white tops.

*** IF you have a mono-chrome FJ other than all white like mine, make sure the glass repair people know what color you have/need. Otherwise there is a chance the tech could bring a white trip piece and not discover the issue until after they've ripped out the old glass.

It took the guy about 1.5 hours to do the whole thing. I watched him the whole time. He even said that FJ owners almost always watch the procedure while other car owners never watch. Funny thing.

The removal is very traumatic to watch because it requires the tech to remove lots of body panels to get to the glass itself. Also the glass cracks to pieces when they finally peel it off. The old trim piece across the top is often bent or crumpled during removal. Thus the replacement which is included.

The installation takes less time. Everything is then resealed and reassembled. A few strips of tape are applied to hold things together tightly for a couple hours while everything sets in place. You can't drive it for an hour and shouldn't drive it for 2-4 hours and the tech said for the best results, let it set still overnight, but theoretically its legal to drive after an hour.

When you get in and drive around with that new glass, wow, its so clear its like there is nothing there. You can't help leaning in close to marvel at the glorious clarity, and then BOP! A big fat bug ends its life all over everything. ah well, thats life.

If you haven't already or recently, I recommend installing new wiper blades as well. Seeing those new blades clear off the perfectly smooth glass is a sweet feeling. Feels like you're driving a brand new truck!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am

DS, I live right outside of Concord and have used Safelite about 3 times with this truck (all covered with $0 deductible through Nationwide). I have no idea where their office is actually located but I can easily say that they are extremely professional. Every time I've called them, they have had an installer meet at my preferred location the SAME DAY.

On a side note, if you get the chance, buy the Safelite brand window cleaner spray... by far the very best cleaner I've ever used!
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: glass   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm

I've been hit twice the first time a little dent no crack second time was late last summer. It hit hard left a 1/4 inch crack. It took until it got down to 19 degrees one morning I fired it up with defrost on, and when I got back in the window was cracked down to the wiper top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Nervous about the Windshield   Getting Nervous about the Windshield Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting Nervous about the Windshield
Page 1 of 1