NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winch Selection for the FJ

Go down 

What is the rating for the winch in your FJ?
8000 lbs
Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_lcap0%Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
9000-9500 lbs
Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_lcap0%Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
10,000 lbs
Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_lcap50%Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
12,000+ lbs
Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_lcap50%Winch Selection for the FJ Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
USOffRoad
SUPPORTING VENDOR - US Offroad
USOffRoad

Winch Selection for the FJ Empty
PostSubject: Winch Selection for the FJ   Winch Selection for the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 12:41 pm

While winches are like generators, compressors and money...the more the better, the question often comes up as to what is the minimum winch rating an FJ owner should purchase. The industry rule of thumb is 1.5x GVWR. An auto trans FJ has a GVWR of 5570 lbs which comes to 8355 lbs. While an 8000 lb winch would be under that I know some run them without a problem, however, much is dependent on how hard you are wheeling and if your FJ is stock or modified, guys with more capable rigs seem to find themselves in much more difficult recovery situations and hence need a higher winch rating to drag their rig out of the tough spot vs a stock rig getting planted in some light mud or sand on relatively flat ground.

Typically I will tell people a 9000-9500 lb winch will certainly do the trick but if your bumper is rated and has enough physical room to mount a larger winch it certainly never hurts to go with a 10k-13k winch.

We carry the Engo and Viper winches and have solutions for just about every application. I personally have been running a Viper Max 12k but am about to go to an Engo 9000S or 10000S. Both manufacturers offer great winches for the money.

http://usoffroad.us/store/winches/Vehicle-Winches

Having said all of that I've started this poll so everyone can state which rating they are using. Is your winch an 8000, 9-9500, 10,000 or 12,000+?

If you don't mind replying with the manufacturer and model it would be nice. Any other feedback and experience would be good to have as well. I'm posting this on several sites so I can accumulate some meaningful data.
Back to top Go down
http://www.usoffroad.us
USOffRoad
USOffRoad

Winch Selection for the FJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winch Selection for the FJ   Winch Selection for the FJ Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Anyone alive out there?
Back to top Go down
http://www.usoffroad.us

Winch Selection for the FJ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: General/Off Topic Discussion :: "All Other" Posts-
Jump to: