NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2 quick CB questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
foothills
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

2 quick CB questions Empty
PostSubject: 2 quick CB questions   2 quick CB questions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 11:22 pm

I purchased one of the FJ kits from Walcott CB, and worked on getting it installed today.  Installed would be a generous term at this point, but I got the mount and antenna up.  Ran into two issues, and hopefully someone else with a CB can chime in on this.

First, SWR.  I bought an SWR meter with the CB kit, so I could properly tune everything.  I'm getting good readings at this point, about 1.5 on channels 1 and 40, so I'm happy now.  But I ran into a ton of problems during install with bad grounding, and then the antenna seemed really sensitive to adjustment.  I bought the hand adjustable Firestik with the screw in the top.  In about 3/16 of an inch, I went from like a 3.5 at 40 down to a 1.5.  Are the antennas supposed to be that sensitive, or do I still have some grounding gremlins?  Grounding gave me a fit, I ended up putting NOALOX between the Boztec mount and the door hinge, because even after polishing both with a dremel, I kept running into what I think were grounding issues.  Anyway, is 3/16 height difference really enough to throw the SWR off by that much?

Second question is about that same Walcott kit.  It came with a pre-made 18' signal cable, so the ends aren't removable.  I'm finding that it's pretty useless because it's too big to fit through harnesses or anything, so I may have to get something made up.  Who in the Triad is good for that kind of work?  I wouldn't mind running the cable myself, but putting the ends on is not something I'd do.  All I do with solder is burn myself...
Back to top Go down
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: 2 quick CB questions   2 quick CB questions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

you have to strip all the paint off the door hinge where the bolt for the boztec mount makes contact, same story for the boztec. Any paint will cause grounding issues. This was something I tried getting around for a long time but you can't make it work without doing that. 

As far as the coax cable goes, yeah it's a PITA to not have removable ends, I used this and highly recommend it http://www.walcottcb.com/18-cb-coax-cable-removeable-pl259-connector-188xn13-p-1085.html great customer service and very easy to wire through the FJ
Back to top Go down
foothills
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: 2 quick CB questions   2 quick CB questions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

That coax looks perfect, I'll get one ordered so I can properly run the cable.  Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 quick CB questions   2 quick CB questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 quick CB questions
Page 1 of 1