NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HOLY DASH LIGHTS!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 2:05 am

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Photo_10
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/drew.miles
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am

WTF my exact same lights came on yesterday!!!  Any ideas???  I'm going by Auto Solutions today after work.
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I e-mailed Toyota, we aren't the only ones having this problem. My friend just had this same issue with his. They told him that he had water and sand behind his air filter. Idk how far behind his air filter but I'm going to start taking crap apart today. So we will see.
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I e-mailed Toyota, we aren't the only ones having this problem. My friend just had this same issue with his. They told him that he had water and sand behind his air filter. Idk how far behind his air filter but I'm going to start taking crap apart today. So we will see.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 pm

That couldn't be the case for me because I've been away from sand/water and I've got a CAI (which I'd assume the box helps keep debris out of the air filter).  I'll post back here after I get Brian @ ASI to run a diagnostics test.  Good luck!
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Just got back from Advance Auto Parts. The codes read, cylinders 5 and 6 misfire and ABS malfunction. So I'm taking j.dorton's advise and starting with the least expensive fix, spark plugs.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Ahhhh, hopefully new plugs will fix your issue!
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 pm

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Photo_11HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Photo_12
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 6:17 pm

I've never in my life seen spark plugs this wore out. OOPS . . .
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 pm

burnt the crap out of them didnt ya?? wow....did you get it fixed? lights off??
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:16 am

Lights are off. BUT, I'm afraid it might just be because I disconnected the battery. So I'm going to give it a few days before I get excited. The random shaking that comes and goes as I drive is still there though. I don't know what the heck that could be. Tuesday I'm going to an import shop up the road from my house. Hopefully they can tell me whats wrong.
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:16 am

Toyota e-mailed me back . . .

I apologize for any concern you may have been caused, as it is not our intention. We are unable to weigh the legitimacy of the information found during your research, as the details of the individual concerns are not known to us. For that reason we encourage everyone to contact our offices regarding their Toyota vehicle, sales, or service experience so that it can be fully addressed, and any trends identified.

Once the vehicle is beyond these warranty parameters, the cost of repairs becomes the owner’s responsibility.

However, in the interest of customer satisfaction, we may review individual requests though the factory warranty has expired. We will consider various factors, such as vehicle age and mileage in comparison to the manufacturer’s original warranty, the nature of the repair, inspection of the affected parts, and any dealer maintenance or repair history.

If you choose to go through this process, please keep in mind there is no guarantee of assistance from Toyota. If you would like us to conduct this type of out-of-warranty review the first step in the process is to have the vehicle inspected by an authorized Toyota dealer. 

Please bear in mind the dealer will most likely charge a diagnostic fee. After the vehicle has been inspected and the dealer has determined the condition, cause, and remedy, they may offer assistance on their own. However, they may also advise you to contact us. In the scenario where you are asked to contact us, please be able to provide us with the VIN number and estimated cost of parts and labor, or ask the dealer to contact us with that information.
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:20 am

dmiles1288 wrote:
I've never in my life seen spark plugs this wore out. OOPS . . .
As far as I know, the gap on a spark plug for an FJ is 0.040 and when I checked the gap on the worn spark plugs it was at 0.080.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 am

That's about right.  Mine were in the 0.07x range when I changed them after 35k miles.  These trucks eat spark plugs, but man, they run much better with some fresh plugs.  I started running the NGK Iridium plugs.  After 30k on the last set, they looked very good still, but I went ahead and replaced them.  I know the 07 FJs are supposed to get fresh plugs every 30k, but the newer ones have much longer intervals.

Note that the NGK Iridiums aren't supposed to be gapped or lubed.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 am

Well on a side note, once my o2 sensor was reset, it hasn't thrown anything else since (knock on wood)... it initially read that my cats were bad, but I don't actually have cats in the first place (long tube headers), so as long as this doesn't trip again, it must have just been a bad tank of gas or some other random factor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOLY DASH LIGHTS!   HOLY DASH LIGHTS! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOLY DASH LIGHTS!
Page 1 of 1