NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wheeling in South Dakota

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Wheeling in South Dakota Empty
PostSubject: Wheeling in South Dakota   Wheeling in South Dakota Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 2:21 pm

My wife & I recently got back from a vacation to the western side of South Dakota. We did some wheeling in The Badlands National Park & The Black Hills National Forest.  The Badlands only has a few dirt roads that require high clearance vehicles. As in all National Parks. Off road driving is prohibited. But the areas where you can drive the high clearance required, leads to some awesome views that most visitors to the parks don't get to experience.  
   The Black Hills National Forest has several thousand miles of trails dedicated to highway legal, non highway legal, quads, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, hikers, & horses. There are plenty for everyone. The National Forest website even has a download for Garmin GPS, along with a map this download is an excellent tool for doing these trails. They are marked as to their allowed vehicle type even on the GPS. But you need the maps to determine the usage. 
   We drove many miles of dirt roads & mild trails. We did one trail that is considered difficult & was apprx 7 miles long with several dry creek crossings that had very large boulders that we crawled over and some were 100-150 feet long The rock beds, not each rock). A good spotter , rock sliders & skid plates made this trail an easy run for the FJ. Unfortunately we took no pics on this one trail. I do have a few pics from some of the other trails & roads I will post. 
   If you ever get the chance to go to SD, it is well worth the trip. We went to Colorado last year & I think this area ranks right up there with the trails we did in the Breckenridge Ridge area.
I can't seem to remember how to post pics.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Wheeling in South Dakota   Wheeling in South Dakota Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 2:49 pm

https://s1095.photobucket.com/user/dsbike/media/2013%20Vacation%20in%20SD/P1100884.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

Well I at least figured out that I can post the link to some pics of this trip. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post the actual images. But this link will take you to the album & there are 12 pics there.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Wheeling in South Dakota   Wheeling in South Dakota Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Looks like a great trip.  I was born in Rapid City, left at 8 months old and have only been back once.  I see I should plan a trip!
Back to top Go down
j.dorton
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
j.dorton

PostSubject: Re: Wheeling in South Dakota   Wheeling in South Dakota Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Cool. I'd like to make it up there sometime. My parents spent some time there in June and really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheeling in South Dakota   Wheeling in South Dakota Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheeling in South Dakota
Page 1 of 1