NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Larger tires

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Marine89
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Looking for a few suggestions, I switched to 285/70/17 tires and I am still sitting stock height. I am not rubbing as of now, but was wondering if I will have any problems off road?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 am

depends on several factors.  What brand of tire are they? are they on stock rims or aftermarket rims?  different tire brands will yield different actual measurements.  Try this find a curb and drive up onto it at an angle with your front tire with the steering turned all the way to the left.  Dont do it real gently but dont just nail it.  if it scrubs that way you will certainly scrub off road.
Back to top Go down
Marine89
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 am

The tires are Toyo Open Country AT2's, they measure 32.7"s and they are on factory wheels. I'll try your suggestion thank you.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 9:31 am

Shouldnt be any problems with that size. Sure it could rub a little but not enough to really hurt anything. I think another common rubbing condition to test is backing out of a steep driveway with the wheels turned hard left...same sort of thing as the curb test, without your neighbors thinking you are a bit odd.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 am

Yeah do it in a parking lot and take a pic and post it to the daily driver off roader Facebook page...

seriously if im not mistaken those tires dont have the aggressive shoulder that other tires have.  Also being ATs thats a plus
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm

I'll echo what others have said and add that two FJs that look identical can rub differently. I'd guess worse case off-road you might rub some on your front body mounts. That is an easy fix with an angle grinder and some sweat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Your statement is predicated on the assumption that NO ONE in this FORUM actually wheels their vehicle.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:17 pm

No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Larger tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger tires   Larger tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Larger tires
Page 1 of 1