NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crappy Cruise Control

Go down 
+6
DamnItsAGlasgow
MadToy
j.dorton
ULTIMATEcruiser
bigdogdewey2
Scottydog
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

Crappy Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 5:56 pm

So on my trip across the country last week I used the cruise control a lot...and it sucks. On hills, it will drop about 2 mph below the set speed, then it will accererate at least 6-7 mph over. It is like a rocket launching...not sure if it was going to stop accelerating at times and would have to cancel or quickly hit the brakes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 pm

yeah it sucks...what size tires do you have? mine sucks up hill like it has no A$$....down hill speeds up and plays tag with others bumpers...
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 pm

It's normal Scott, mine did the same thing even on the slightest of inclines.
Back to top Go down
j.dorton
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
j.dorton

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:50 am

That's my experience with all cruise controls. They only control the throttle. They don't interpret the landscape, and don't control the brakes. They will not be as consistent as a  good human.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:10 am

I very rarely use CC...I really only use it when im the only one around which is extremely rare.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 am

Get a Supercharger, and it will maintain the correct speed within a mile or two per hour.. Smile
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 9:39 am

MadToy wrote:
Get a Supercharger, and it will maintain the correct speed within a mile or two per hour.. Smile

I can vouch for that!
Back to top Go down
FiJiKrawl
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FiJiKrawl

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Sounds about like mine.  It does a great job on the drive to the coast, a little annoying when heading into the hills.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Mine isn't bad except on decent hills. Stock size tires. Also seems to not downshift as much when thoroughly warmed up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 8:11 pm

I started with the base line version and only added a few options,...my cruise is not on the wheel, but a stick on the column, I think its a dealer add on...but works just fine for all but the biggest hills out west.  When it does happen (slows), it does open "all four barrels" to catch up!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 pm

I've found all Toyota CC to suck compared to most other companies, so I rarely use mine unless I'm on flat land near the beach.  Hills are usually the problem.  Going up hill, not a problem, but when I crest the hill, the truck takes off, often getting to 6-8mph more than I have it set for.  Not cool.

As a side experiment, especially for those 6MT supercharged guys:  Set your cruise in 2nd gear around 30 mph, and then hit and hold your accel button.  You'll find the CC accepts "accel" as 100% throttle and it's fun, especially in high horsepower cars when the cruise control smokes the back tires!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crappy Cruise Control   Crappy Cruise Control Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crappy Cruise Control
Page 1 of 1