NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jpizzy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm taking my son to Uwharrie this weekend for some camping and off roading! My FJ is stock and I know there are only a couple of trails that I should take it on. Anyone have any recommendations or better yet want to meet us out there on Saturday to guide us through? Also, where do we go to pick up the passes for OHV trails? We will be camping at the Arrowhead Campground.

Thanks,

Jason
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Go here to get your permits.

http://www.eldoradooutpost.com

You should be ok on any of the trails with the exception of Daniel.  Dickey Bell has a long hill climb that can be intimidating for people new to the trails, but if you stay to the right it is relatively easy.  Dutch John will have one spot that might be tricky, but it is really not bad.  Other than that a lot of whats you should have no problem with.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 am

Also take off any step rails or bars before you go, unless you have stock sliders. There are a lot of opportunities to get hung up on them.

Air down as low as 15 psi if you like (maybe 20 if they are flexy street tires). there is free air right there at the Outpost when you are done. It will make the ride way better
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
jpizzy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks for the info guys! We're looking forward to it! Adam, What do you mean by "stock sliders"? I have the stock side boards that have the light in them, but they're just plastic. Anyway, thanks for the help and if anyone else wants to jump in that's great!

Thanks,

Jason
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah those steps wi be destroyed by the time you are done riding....take them off!  just a heads up, if you can go with someone else that will be a whole lot more safe. make sure you have some recovery equipment also..and remember that if it looks as if you wont make it over something dont try it...no sense in damaging your truck to prove machismo to yourself...
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Since you said you were all stock, sliders are a stock option. They are metal tubes that bolt to the frame where your steps are now... they are just too tucked up to the body to actually step on.

They look like the pic below

Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! 75646d1369711493-arb-vs-oem-sliders-oem_1

The difference is the steps bolt to the flimsy body metal up under the doors while these bolt to the frame. You should take off your steps so not to damage them, or your FJ's body they are connected to.

Uwharrie is pretty tame. Just leave it in 4LO with the ATRAC button on. Only use the locker when you need it (shouldnt be much if at all). I only say that because sometimes we have gone out and some leave it only in 4HI which makes things a lot harder than they should be!

Wish I were free to make it this weekend, just isnt in the cards right now lol
Back to top Go down
jpizzy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks Bigdog & Adam! I appreciate it! I'm sure there will be others ready to ride the trails on Saturday so I'll ask if one of them will guide us through! Also I checked my side rail steps and I see where they bolt to the frame (not the body) however the electrical for the lights on it appears to be the challenge. Any ideas on the best way to deal with them? Here are some pics!

Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Photo_10Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Photo_11Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Photo_12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Pull the plug out and remove those steps.  Even on the easy trails you are likely to damage those.
Back to top Go down
jpizzy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks, Brian! I guess I can just wrap the cable up and tie it down somewhere under there! 

Thanks,

Jason
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 am

Yep, you can probably just tuck it up and set it above the frame rail.

They are indeed bolted to the body/rocker panel area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!   Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Off Roading at Uwharrie This Weekend!
Page 1 of 1