NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I have sad news.

Go down 
+11
FJ Derek
85runner
bigdogdewey2
Speedrye
David B
iwashmycar
MadToy
Crazy Hube
crogers6569
ULTIMATEcruiser
NC FJ Driver
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:25 pm

I had been thinking about it for a while and finally acted on it. With a sad heart I sold the FJ. Sad It was awesome in almost every way, but where it wasn't really started to eat at me. On Monday I sold the FJ and bought a 2013 Jeep Rubicon. I haven't picked it up yet, so no pictures yet to share. It will be delivered on Friday and I will pick it up on Saturday after removing the aftermarket parts on the FJ. I know I will probably be breaking down all the time now, but so does Casey, and you guys still ride with him. I know I will miss the FJ.

I will be selling all of my aftermarket stuff from the FJ. The only thing that is staying is the lift and tires. I will put up for sale threads in a few days. However if you know what I got and want it, PM and a fair price and it could save me the effort of listing it.

Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:34 pm

How much for the skidz? I want first shot!
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:54 pm

NC FJ Driver wrote:
How much for the skidz? I want first shot!

No, "hate to hear that", just give me stuff? That hurts Paul. Jk replied to you pm.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Are you serious Brian?
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:33 pm

dont blame ya... IFS wheeling is fun but if you really want to get into more difficult stuff SA wheeling is much cheaper to build.

Although you probably could have gotten a 1st gen toyota and a used dodge tow rig for a similar price as the rubi.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Are you serious? What the hell
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
Are you serious Brian?

Crazy Hube wrote:
Are you serious? What the hell

Yes, I am serious. I am going to have to start hanging out with your chubby friend.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Well I am mad

The sway bar disconnects will stop working within a year

And the E-lockers will break off road.

Welcome.
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:45 pm

crogers6569 wrote:
dont blame ya... IFS wheeling is fun but if you really want to get into more difficult stuff SA wheeling is much cheaper to build.

Although you probably could have gotten a 1st gen toyota and a used dodge tow rig for a similar price as the rubi.

This is very true, and something I considered. However I don't have the space for a trailered vehicle. I also don't have the mechanical know-how to try to maintain something so old. I hope in time I will have a larger place and the ability to fix up an old 4x4.
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Crazy Hube wrote:
Well I am mad

The sway bar disconnects will stop working within a year

And the E-lockers will break off road.

Welcome.
This is very possible, but I hope not. My lift will come with manual disconnects, and I will cross my fingers with the lockers.

I sat down and started looking at what I would likely do with the FJ. I was likely to drop another 4 grand to get it where I wanted it. And this didn't even address the biggest issues I have with the FJ.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Well I for one say, "Good On Ya!" Laughing
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:55 pm

The Rubicon is a sweet rig, even with the issues. Much more potential. Just hope you don't become one of those "Jeep" guys! Razz
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:57 pm

LOL and now we have to wheel with a Jeep guy, or are you leaving the club as well

Razz
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:59 pm

MadToy wrote:
The Rubicon is a sweet rig, even with the issues. Much more potential. Just hope you don't become one of those "Jeep" guys! Razz

Nope, I haven't caught the "jeep thing" yet. I hope you guys will still let me wheel with you. The funny thing is I was often the only FJ on the ride. Now some of the NCFJ trail rides might be FJ free.
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Crazy Hube wrote:
LOL and now we have to wheel with a Jeep guy, or are you leaving the club as well

Razz

Are you kidding? I have the 3rd highest post count!
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Yea but no FJ or even Toyota!
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:33 pm

If Toyota made something that met my criteria, I would have gotten it. The FJ was a great vehicle. I was surprised how well it held up to the abuse. It just wasn't for me any more. Maybe in 2015 they will come out with something else since the FJ is going away.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:59 pm

it happens. I got a pretty shocked vibe from my Mini Cooper club when I showed up with an FJ lol. Least your still in the dirt.... Even if we have to spend our lunch breaks fixing the Jeep.... Or Casey's rig.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Well, you will always have memories of the Raleigh meets at Leith, all the runs you made to URE, the Blue Room contest controversy, etc, etc.....

Good luck with the Jeep. I have a few friends that own Rubis and they enjoy them. (Matt...Aamco... Smile )

I know before I bought the FJ, I was considering a new Rubicon unlimited but once I test drove a stock Rubi, then a lifted one and felt the ride....and once the wife saw how thin the doors were, she said if i ever expected to have my then 3 year old ride with me, I better find an alternative...It make me chuckle to remember when I took Nicky to check out the Rubicon, she opened a door and asked what the little "cloth strap" was that was attached to the door...I explained that is what kept the door from swinging too wide open, to which she replied that I better be happy riding alone.....

Oh well, I guess it was one of those Jeep things that she didn't "understand"...LOL

Well, Brian, I am glad you owned the FJ, otherwise I don't believe that I would not have had the opportunity to meet you and your family. Good luck and don't be a stranger! make sure you post some pics of the new ride!!!

Take care

- David
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm

I usually wheel with a Rubicon, so you'd be welcome to hang with my FJ.
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 8:53 am

So several people have asked why I sold the FJ. Its actually a result of several things.

The FJ had a very short wheel base, which is great. However when that is combined with a IFS, it becomes really tipsy. If you have only wheeled at URE its hard to explain this. Although this adds to the thrill, it scares my wife to death. One of the reasons I have gotten hooked on wheeling is the ability to do it with my family. So anything I can do to keep my wife involved is a big factor.

The 4-door vs. the suicide doors was not really a big deal. The 4 doors will be nice, but I had no problems with the FJ. I did want windows in the back I could roll down for the kids. They are with me 70% of the time and my oldest will like the window down.

The FJ is by far the better street vechicle. The comfort, ride, and style of the FJ surpass the jeep. However the Jeep has some obvious advantageous offroad. I didnt care about this when I got the FJ, but that was before I was hooked and going wheeling once or twice a month. Now the benefits of the jeep compensate for the losses on the street.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:56 am

Well it seems like you thought about it, and I know it was a hard decision to make.

What lift are you getting for it?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:23 am

And what size tars? And will this all be done before Windrock? Or will you bail out on Windrock for fear of scratching your new Jeep? Razz
Back to top Go down

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:39 am

Crazy Hube wrote:
Well it seems like you thought about it, and I know it was a hard decision to make.
What lift are you getting for it?
Ive researched it for a few weeks now. Unless something changes my mind before I make the purchase I will be going with this and bilstein shocks. RockKrawler 3.5

MadToy wrote:
And what size tars? And will this all be done before Windrock? Or will you bail out on Windrock for fear of scratching your new Jeep? Razz
If you are still saying the MTRs are quiet, I am probably going with those in the 35" size. I am trying to get everything ready for the Windrock trip. Thats priority #1, but that only leaves me a month.

The problem is I need the bumpers before I can get the tires, and tires before I can get the lift. I am going regardless, even if it means the family rides with Casey! Very Happy In all seriousness, If I can't get it all together I still want to go. If the family doesnt want to go and Casey will let me ride with him, he can stay in my hotel room.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:23 am

You are always welcome Brian. I even have an upcoming addition that will allow me to have ice cream on the trail
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I have sad news. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have sad news.   I have sad news. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have sad news.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next