NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Took the FJ Kayaking!!!

Go down 
+2
j.dorton
JiveTurkey0514
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Empty
PostSubject: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:17 am

Im an avid whitewater kayaker and this saturday i got to take the FJ cruiser out on her kayaking maiden voyage. The Flat Baja rack did a solid job holding the boats.... had 6 on top at one point, but think i could have gotten another two more on scratch Anyways these pictures are on the Chattooga River located at the SC and GA line. The creek crossing is a tributary of the Chattooga called WarWoman Creek. Pretty nice camping/trails/hiking/fishing around this area!

Took the FJ Kayaking!!! 53892610200289095604685

Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Img20130331094617

Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Img20130330214949
Back to top Go down
j.dorton
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
j.dorton

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Very nice. That first picture looks especially cool.

Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Love that river! Very cool.
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 pm

I love that river too Single! So much to do there.... ive kayak'd it from the top to the lake several times. Really an amazing beautiful place! Weather is getting nice, so its time to start camping up there. You travel around that area much?
Back to top Go down
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm all about whitewater kayaking!
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Heck yeah Spence!! Ive been boating about 2 years now... worked my way all the way up to class V. Their pretty much isnt a creek in SC, GA, or NC that i havent ran haha. Its my way of stress managment, but im starting to get the wheeling bug so im gonna have to find time for both adictions haha Where do you like to boat?
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 pm

I lived in Toccoa, Georgia until about 2.5 years ago. Kayaked a lot of the rivers around that area and hiked every trail I could find. That's the only thing I miss about Toccoa...the mountains!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 pm

I would like to get into this. The wife just rolls her eyes at me. Rolling Eyes Perhaps when my boys get a little older.
Back to top Go down
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 7:06 am

I've paddled the upper green, the green narrows minus gorilla, pigeon, section 9 of french broad, and Nantahala cascades & upper in NC, little creek and the sinks in Tennessee. Haven't been out in a while though because it's at least 5 hours to decent whitewater from where I'm going to school.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 am

I've never tried kayaking, but this looks like an AWESOME place to camp! Probably a little too far of a drive from Charlotte though... I'm trying to find spots like this (sand/flat ground next to flowing water like this) around the NC mtns!
Back to top Go down
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
fjdarrell

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:37 am

Looks like a blast!!!!! I never got into kayaking, but I was a white water rafting guide in Wyoming for three summers. Some of the best days of my life are on the winder river canyon. It was a 3-4 average but when the gates opened it for sine pretty big harry class 5s. Id like to go out this year somewhere but eastern nc. Is a little boring when it comes to that
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am

If any of you guys ever wanna give the kayaking thing a whirl... ive got a ton of gear and plenty of experience to let you try it out. Actually this weekend I took a friend of mine from work for his first trip and he did great. Here's a few of my kayaking shots i had on my work computer..... Its an adrenaline rush just like wheelin'!!
Tallulah Gorge in Clarksville, GA
Took the FJ Kayaking!!! 2vju1ir

Upper Big Creek in TN.... pretty close to Hurricane Creek where some of you guys ride!
Took the FJ Kayaking!!! 10eoj07
Green River Narrows Saluda, NC (just outside of Hendersonville)
Took the FJ Kayaking!!! 2rxb7s5
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 am

Mitch... for you to get out to that sandy beach would be about 2.5 hours from charlotte... not too bad. Plenty of things to do in that area too, well worth the trip in my opinion!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 am

Those pics are badazzzzz... My main concern with kayaking is my lower back. I had surgery on a severely ruptured disc a couple years ago, and it hasnt quite been the same since. The torque and snaps involved with kayaking seems a little sketch for me Sad
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 am

JiveTurkey0514 wrote:
Mitch... for you to get out to that sandy beach would be about 2.5 hours from charlotte... not too bad. Plenty of things to do in that area too, well worth the trip in my opinion!

Oh really??? That's not bad at all! Got any other info on it (i.e. coordinates, local rules/laws for camping, etc)?
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 am

I dont have any GPS coordinates on it, but i can give you directions. To access lots of good camping you will take hwy 28 in SC into GA and then trun left onto warwoman road. Go 3 miles and turn left onto Earls Ford Road. This road follows Warwoman Creek and has lots of good trout fishing and lots of quality camp sites. You can take this road all the way to the Chattooga River at Earls Ford. To access the spot where I took the beach picture you would not turn on Earls Ford road, but continue past it another 2 miles and turn right onto Sandy Ford Road. Follow the signs for the Chattooga river and this will bring you across a creek called Dicks creek and then finally onto the Chattooga. I like to access the Chattooga on the Georgia side because they dont have any restraints on access to the river. You can drive all the way down to the river (but by all means DO NOT DRIV INTO THE CHATTOOGA!!!), but on the South Carolina side their is a .5 mile buffer from cars to the river. I believe on both sides their is a rule that says all fires must be at least 50 foot from the river bank, but i see fires within 5 foot on the Georgia side often. General rule is you can get away with a lot more on the GA side, but dont play games on the SC side b/c they watch it like a hawk! I see people drinking down there all the time too, and ive had a couple myself. I think they are pretty cool with that as well as long as you arent causing problems or littering.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am

Good stuff man! I really appreciate that!!
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 am

oh and i forgot to mention if you want the best campsite on the river you take Camp Creek Road off of Warwoman Road. There is a little bit of a hike but it takes you down the the campsite where they filmed the infamous "Love Scene" on the Deliverance movie.... all jokes aside though it really is the nicest camping site on the chattooga river.
Back to top Go down
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
fjdarrell

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 am

Man I haven't been on a river in a while, I may have to try and get with you sometime this summer if I'm around
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:35 am

JiveTurkey0514 wrote:
oh and i forgot to mention if you want the best campsite on the river you take Camp Creek Road off of Warwoman Road. There is a little bit of a hike but it takes you down the the campsite where they filmed the infamous "Love Scene" on the Deliverance movie.... all jokes aside though it really is the nicest camping site on the chattooga river.

Sounds romantic! hahaha
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 pm

I guess im not camping with Glasgow!!! haha
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Bahahaha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Took the FJ Kayaking!!!   Took the FJ Kayaking!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Took the FJ Kayaking!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: NCFJ Gallery :: "My FJ"-
Jump to: