NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Empty
PostSubject: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 am

I need a dive buddy for Fri or Sat so I can play with some new gear at Fantasy Lake. Anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 am

I'm possibly in....in JUNE!affraid WAAAY to cold for some of us to be diving...even with 5 to 7 mil of neopreme...good luck though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 am

Lol, it wasn't that bad a couple of weeks ago in 49 degree water. Not that I would stay down for two hours, I just wanted to play with my weight and my new gear before I go out on a charter on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am

Where is fantasy lake? You're wanting to dive NOW? Hope you have a dry suit. I'm down for diving whenever once it gets warmer. I really like diving in the rock quarry in Thomasville. Not the greatest visibility but the cost is next to nothing and you can keep your skills up several times a year for the cost of 1 ocean dive which are few and far between for me.

Side note: I went out to the Atlantic this Summer for a deep/wreck dive. An hour out to sea and the ocean swelled to 12'+. Seeing sky one second and ocean the next with noting in between. This white boy was scared out of his mind more than I've ever been in my life. I swear I thought we were all going to die. I don't know if I'll ever go out to the Atlantic again. Maybe that's why they call it the "graveyard". It was nuts.
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I have a 5mil full one piece and a 3 mil shorty that together are plenty for a little swim right now.

Fantasy Lake is in Raleigh
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

How's the visibility at FL?
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

It was decent, 15' or so.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Used to dive there occassionally,...the thermocline at about 20' even in summer was wicked, decently warm above, very cold below...great place to teach the concept though. Usually go up before the summer season to "refresh" the skillz.
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Haha, there's no thermocline there right now.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 pm

I still need to get my cert!

I've been meaning to for years
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

I would recommend Carolina Dive Center in Raleigh. They have been a pretty decent group of guys to me. You can get certified through them for somewhere around $250.
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 4:02 pm

So I went yesterday morning. Water was 44 on the first dive and I stayed down for 24 minutes, limited to air because I went in with empty tanks to weight myself properly.

The second dive was also 24 minutes but I was ready to get out because it was too cold and my funmeter was pegged. The guy I was with was diving air and had just about reached NDL anyways so I didn't feel bad about wanting to get out.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Merfal wrote:
So I went yesterday morning. Water was 44 on the first dive

70 is my cut off! You da ICEMan!

Merfal wrote:
The guy I was with was diving air...

I take it you were diving Nitrox? Been meaning to get into that, just havent had the time/money, money/time! Everyone I've even known diving it said it was the sheeite!
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 am

Yeah I was diving Nitrox. I like it better for the extended bottom times drunken
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Merfal wrote:
So I went yesterday morning. Water was 44 on the first dive

70 is my cut off! You da ICEMan!

Merfal wrote:
The guy I was with was diving air...

I take it you were diving Nitrox? Been meaning to get into that, just havent had the time/money, money/time! Everyone I've even known diving it said it was the sheeite!

My computer nitrox class was $100 and was all online work except for 5 min spent in the shop analyzing a tank. My advanced nitrox class required online work plus sitting down and planning a dive and diving with an instructor. Usually advanced nitrox is paired with decompression procedures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?   Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Lake Fri or Sat?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: General/Off Topic Discussion :: "All Other" Posts-
Jump to: