NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th

Go down 
+15
DirtyRed
NCFJ1
Southeast Overland
NC FJ Driver
TacoWillie
Snewcombe93
lrgrnr
Imperial AT-FJ
2wheeldrive
crogers6569
yota15
Crazy Hube
iwashmycar
MadToy
bigdogdewey2
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage

Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:14 pm

I going to try to get the land use passes in advance on Thursday, but I am not sure if the will do that.
Back to top Go down
DirtyRed
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
DirtyRed

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 pm

you can buy a 3 day so i dont see why not.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 pm

NC FJ Driver wrote:
So what time is the Hotel Convoy forming in the parking lot for convoy briefing and cookie entitlement issue? Laughing

Hey buddy wait your turn!  Cookies are to be rationed when all members of the party are accounted for and present for the cookie awarding ceremony.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 am

DirtyRed wrote:
you can buy a 3 day so i dont see why not.
They might start from date of purchase, but maybe not.  I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

Crazy Hube wrote:
NC FJ Driver wrote:
So what time is the Hotel Convoy forming in the parking lot for convoy briefing and cookie entitlement issue? Laughing

Hey buddy wait your turn!  Cookies are to be rationed when all members of the party are accounted for and present for the cookie awarding ceremony.
Cookies will be rationed according to loyalty and held merit.  Those staying at the hotel will receive an extra share. Those who have ever owned an FJ will receive and extra share.  Those who have been to my house will receive an extra share.  Any cookies left over will be rationed equally among the group.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 am

Well I have been to your house at least.  That should count for something
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 am

Brian wrote:

Quote :
Cookies will be rationed according to loyalty and held merit.  Those staying at the hotel will receive an extra share. Those who have ever owned an FJ will receive and extra share.  Those who have been to my house will receive an extra share.  Any cookies left over will be rationed equally among the group.
Staying at hotel...check
Own an FJ...check
Been to your house...check
Owned a Rubicon before the FJ...check
Have never made fun of your height...check
I feel that my entitlement should be somewhat larger than the average guy's...
pig
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 am

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Brian wrote:

Quote :
Staying at hotel...check
Own an FJ...check
Been to your house...check
Owned a Rubicon before the FJ...check
Have never made fun of your height...check
I feel that my entitlement should be somewhat larger than the average guy's...
pig

Oh my god.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:35 am

The cookies were meant to bring us together, not create division.  For the sake of our group now, I will have to eat them all before the trip.

The weather took a turn for the worse, or better depending on your perspective.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am

Brian wrote:
The cookies were meant to bring us together, not create division.  For the sake of our group now, I will have to eat them all before the trip.

The weather took a turn for the worse, or better depending on your perspective.

Yea I was just about to post about the weather....looks like rain is a real possibility on both Thursday and Friday.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:09 pm

MadToy wrote:
Paul, lockers and 35's withstanding, I won't be tackling any trails that I wouldn't feel comfortable running with the 285's.  I'll have the wife and kids with me, and can't take chances I might take if I was solo.  We need to be able to drive it home after the trip.  I'm using this more as a scouting trip for when I can go solo.

We all have to drive home afterwards :p

Brian wrote:
Its really hard with being our first time going.  If it is similar to uwharrie where you can bypass stuff, than the lack of skids is probably not a deal breaker.  However if there aren't these bypasses it could be more than you bargain for.  Right now it looks like I will be going without skids. Sad  My fingers are still crossed for a "shipped" notice in my email in the next few days.

What are the likely wheelin times each day?  Are we shooting for 9-3 with a break for lunch, or 9-4,9-5,9-9:shock:?  Just tryign to get an idea of what we are likely to need for each day.

Not many bypasses. But there are trails around to the top of the harder trails. 

Meet at 9 at the trail head. Break for lunch then wheel until everyone if ready to go back. Bring lunch for sure each day. 

Brian wrote:
Does anyone know if there are tire/air filling stations anywhere in the park?  I am bringing the portable, but I dread the wait to fill up the new tires with it.

No fill ups, but most will have OBA

Brian wrote:
Weather is looking better and I am getting excited!  We need to think of a meet up time and place for the morning.

Trail Head. If you want to, meet up with me and casey at Windrock park campground once you check in to your sissy room. My number is 336- four six five- five three eight four. Call me if you get lost.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 pm

lrgrnr wrote:

Trail Head. If you want to, meet up with me and casey at Windrock park campground once you check in to your sissy room. My number is 336- four six five- five three eight four. Call me if you get lost.

I'll be roughing it in a rustic cabin.  Pretty sure it's just a roof over our head - but we'll be fighting off snakes and other varmints....
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:11 pm

MadToy wrote:
lrgrnr wrote:

I'll be roughing it in a rustic cabin.  Pretty sure it's just a roof over our head - but we'll be fighting off snakes and other varmints....

The cabins are pretty nice, the ones with the 2 bunk beds? There is a group from GA TTORA that's staying in the cabin also. Casey is meeting me in Asheboro at 8 in the morning, we should be there around 1:30ish. Camping right across from the cabins. 

Gonna be a good time. We may ride 16 thursday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

I called the campground park offices.  They are available from 8am-6pm for land use pass purchases.  You can also purchase your passes a few days ahead.  This might be a good idea so we are not in any crowd (should there be any on Friday) waiting on this.  There is a Shell station that sells the passes anytime for anyone not able to get there by 6pm.

It looks like we have 7 (or more) going.  We are likely to split up based on desired trail difficulty.  Larry, I just don't think everyone will want to follow you down the trails you typically run.  Maybe possibly build up to some of that on Saturday, but doubtful to begin with.

Most importantly, Nick's cabin is much nicer than my hotel room.  The room is costing me $68/night and I am likely to be neighbored by prostitutes, gangs, and psychos.  It takes much more courage to stay here than in the safety of the park.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm

There would be only a couple trails I would bypass. That would be 39 and Little School bus. Those two are rough. Other than that you all will be perfectly fine. F and R locked and listening to a spotter will get you through with no issues. Just keep your foot out of the gas.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:35 pm

lrgrnr wrote:

The cabins are pretty nice, the ones with the 2 bunk beds? There is a group from GA TTORA that's staying in the cabin also. Casey is meeting me in Asheboro at 8 in the morning, we should be there around 1:30ish. Camping right across from the cabins. 

Camping across from the cabins?  I sure hope my hot tub is in the back...... Smile
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm

The 3 trails I wanted to run for sure, were 16, 22, and 3.  15 also if it was dry - but doesn't look like that'll be the case.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm

MadToy wrote:
lrgrnr wrote:

Camping across from the cabins?  I sure hope my hot tub is in the back...... Smile
Oh, you got the BIG cabin......I may room with ya'll! 

We'll be down the road a bit. There is a little rock garden in the campground we can play on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:53 pm

lrgrnr wrote:
There would be only a couple trails I would bypass. That would be 39 and Little School bus. Those two are rough. Other than that you all will be perfectly fine. F and R locked and listening to a spotter will get you through with no issues. Just keep your foot out of the gas.

Not everyone going will have F/R lockers.  The issue is less "can do" as opposed to "want to do".  I will only speak for myself.  I do want to challenge myself, however I want it to be on my terms and when I am ready.  I am slow and like to walk through (what I think are) tough spots and decide how to best approach the situation.  That is half the fun for me.  I hope by Saturday to do some of the more difficult trails, but I am not jumping into that right away.
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm

You sound like an FJ owner Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm

lrgrnr wrote:
You sound like an FJ owner Razz
I guess.  For sure the jeep is far more capable than the owner is ready to be.  I am still at a stage where I enjoy the moderately difficult stuff.  Most importantly so is the wife.

EDIT:  It is obvious how I feel about FJ owners, as Casey and Tyler both display it in their signatures.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lrgrnr
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
lrgrnr

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm

You'll see once you get out there. All of the trails we run besides 38 and 39 are moderately difficult. I wouldn't put anyone on a trail that they shouldn't be on...............well...........maybe...............
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Looks like I won't be getting there till around 5 on Thursday.  Can't leave till after 12.
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm

My trash is all packed up and ready. Me and Casey will be meetin you in the mornin Larry. My 5 man tent will roughly be a castle in the woods.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 pm

I just loaded the 4runner, she is sitting on the bump stops.  The hitch carrier is quite the leverage arm.
Back to top Go down
DirtyRed
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
DirtyRed

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I have to back out, to many tie rod changes messed up the threads on rack and pinion. Cant get new one in time. But gave me excuse to buy all pro tie rods. Sorry!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next