NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

more work equals new mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

more work equals new mod Empty
PostSubject: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 1:23 pm

I work part time driving the ECU busses while in school and just started back in November. Because I'm one of the new guys, I was asked to help cover more hours since so many people are driving the minimum number of hours required. Fortunately I have a surprisingly light class load this semester considering it's my senior year. The good news is that I will be ordering a toytec lift and light racing UCAs around late march or early april. This will be my first large mod and although it's still kinda far off, I'm getting excited! Question: is toytec's ultimate 3" lift really worth $300 more?
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Honestly, the ultimate lift are all good pieces and in my opinion it is only good for someone who feels the need or the security of having that lift. I spent roughly $400 on my lift from Toytec. I bought the Bilstein 5100 front adjustable shocks and the rear 2" superflex springs. That is all I have for a lift and it has been on my FJ for almost 4 years and has seen many off roading events. It has worked well and I have had no issues with this setup. The Bilstein's only provide 2.5" of lift up front but Toytec offers 1/4 inch spacers for the shock tops to give a full 3 inches. Back in October I had Light Racing UCA's installed as well. There are several guys in the group with the same setup. In my opinion and experience it is a good lift for about half the price of some of the other lifts out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm

I personally wouldn't spend that much money on it. Not at first. The really expensive setups only offer slight to no benefits for your average road driving. I would wait until you decide how much you want to get into taking it off road. I know people on here will say, "do it right the first time." The truth about the coilovers is that you will have to replace the shocks in time. Even the setups that are rebuildable are going to cost you a few hundred to do so. So every 3-4 years you are probably going to be redoing your suspension. My recommendation would be to not go all out at first. It will be wasted money if you don't wheel your FJ often.

I have been rolling around on the same $300 lift for the past 2 years and have no complaints. I may go to more expensive coilovers in two years, but that is only because I am likely to add a bumper and winch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:49 pm

I wanted to add. I am not saying get a cheap spacer lift (although I am happy with mine). I just wouldn't go over the top at first
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Indeed the stock setup is great for both on and offroad long as you dont add a ton of weight to it. I have been happy so far with the 5100s to level it.

I am contemplating just purchasing the rear Daystar 1.5" spacers and then putting the front up on the 4th notch instead of the 3rd....

With that said, it sounds like there is no need to spend a bunch more cash on nearly the same kit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 am

Hearing some of your suggestions and doing a bit of research, I think that I will probably go with a set of bilsteins or the toytec spacer lift and use the savings on a set of budbuilt skids. This is an expensive vehicle that my parents graciously are paying for half of (I get to continue the payments when I'm out of school) and protection and a little extra height seems more useful at this time than a fancy coil over setup. This forum is a great tool and I appreciate legitimate feedback instead of encouragement to buy an expensive mod that I really don't need at this point. You guys are awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting others for the first time Saturday at Darryl's!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:39 pm

I agree with Brian I just put a 2" spacer lift from ToyTec on my truck and it did exactly what I wanted to and that level the truck in preparation for bigger tires I didn't want a hot center of gravity vehicle. I put between 300 and 350 road miles on my truck every week as a daily driver. I also put light racing upper control arms on it as well to ensure that I still had the same ride and drivability as before. I wanted Nicole to be able to drive it with out being concerned about being able to drive it.

Planning 285/75/16s on KMC XD Series Black Enduros. Not sure on tires but its probably between BFG A/Ts, General Grabber A/Ts and Cooper A/Ts

more work equals new mod 8381932888_dcc4f62f23_z
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Paul that iceberg is getting big enough to sink the ...well you know ....its looking really good...
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Paul what exactly did you install? If I missed it somewhere I apologize!! Looks great btw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 pm

See the post with the picture. It has all the details. I like the stance.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Ha sorry! Ive always been a picture book kinda guy!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:11 pm

see....see spot....see spot run.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 am

LOL.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:32 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
see....see spot....see spot run.....
Thanks Mike! That really helps!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 am

i thought i would help you along...glad to see it helps...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: more work equals new mod   more work equals new mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

more work equals new mod
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: General/Off Topic Discussion :: "All Other" Posts-
Jump to: